Mud Flaps on Cross Roads Classic
gtrjoe
Posted 2014-02-08 1:15 PM (#151133)
Subject: Mud Flaps on Cross Roads Classic

Puddle Jumper

O.K. I think it turned out great, I'm very pleased - I ended up going with the Chilhowee leather mud flaps for Victory Kingpin. To attach I used some 3M trim double sided tape and 2 rare earth magnets from K&J Magnets part number MM-B-32, they have a hole for a screw in them. I knew I would have to do some work on them so here is the work and story:

1) Fender off with Sz. 6 Allen and 13 socket for nut (nut will turn-need to use socket to hold nut) Use bubble wrap between fender and bumper also fender and fork (keep from scratching inadvertently - Fender needs cleaning.
 photo 01_zpse59982ef.jpg

2) Fender cleaned.
 photo 02_zps85c212ce.jpg

3) Taped to keep paint safe:
 photo 03_zps1b95f0b1.jpg

4) Dry fit - Need to cut 1 inch off each side. I removed the leather brad from a few holes and cut flap, I also had to remove two of the chrome studs.(one from each side). After cutting I retreaded the leather brad and cut to length. I decided I wanted more to cover gap so I picked up a black flimsy plastic "folder" from dollar store.

photo 04_zps09ec9ebc.jpg

5) Inside with plastic attached to middle hole (hole that was existed in mud flap middle)
 photo 05_zpsf75d21d0.jpg

6) Trimmed plastic length about an inch, and covered screw with one of the studs I removed. Straitened the tines and hammed on with rubber mallet, the tines hit the screws washer and turned in to secure. This Pic of trimmed flap rebraded. It fits right against the fenders turned edge, black plastic will fit under edge.
 photo 06_zpse3d220bd.jpg

7) Fitted after trimming to check position of rare earth magnets (you can see the stud covering the screw)
 photo 07_zps021be0fd.jpg

8) Magnets attached with Chilowee's included chrome screws from inside of flap to outside, the locking nut and screw length fit perfectly in hole.
 photo 09_zpsc15a6103.jpg

9) Under side of flap with magnets attached.
 photo 10_zpscabea0d9.jpg

10) Mud flap in place and 3M tape applied to edges for extra holding - used pressure of clamps to set tape (let it set overnight).
 photo 12_zpsc735b443.jpg

11) I user some foil tape to close any gaps and help seal the flap to fender.
 photo 13_zps39915f6e.jpg

12) Covered bumper and forks for install.
 photo 14_zpsfa707824.jpg

13) Installed fender with flaps....
 photo 15_zps0e35cc85.jpg
 photo 16_zps2adad3f4.jpg

Turned out Great - extremely pleased!!

The Chilowee mud flaps only come in a set, so I dry fit the back flap and will probably put that on this summer, it will not need trimming. I really wanted the front mud flap in place for all splashing that you get without it.
 photo 17_zps110d582a.jpg

Hope this helps anyone thinking of this kind of mud flap!!

My Best ~ Joe

Edited by gtrjoe 2014-02-08 1:16 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page