5 Years of Complaints and Nothing Done
13Hambone
Posted 2015-05-07 3:20 PM (#172299)
Subject: 5 Years of Complaints and Nothing Done

Puddle Jumper

First why does Victory NOT have an email link on the corporate "contact us" page at Polaris Corporate? Indian does.

This is pertinent because I just looked back in the archives and there were issues with the lack of apparel from Victory over 5 years ago.

What is Victory/Polaris' marketing strategy? Do they not realize that for every t shirt they sell and make a 23% profit margin on that's $$$$ in advertising for their product?

Let me put it this way... I can wear a different piece of Harley clothing for 365 days and NEVER wear the same one twice. Not to mention the number of people that don't even ride a motorcycle that wear Harley stuff. Even better are the nock offs that steal the Harley logo and sell the shirts for pennies. The loss vs gain is exponentially in Harley's favor even after losing money on the sale because 1) they didn't have to pay to manufacture the product and 2) it's FREE advertising!

Someone please tell me that there is a way to talk with Victory/Polaris. If they don't care about improving their sales, then they damn well better care about their current customers needs.

Finally I'm concerned that after 20 years of producing motorcycles the Victory will go the way of the Buell and a good idea and product will disappear. Leaving us with a dodo bird that can't be repaired.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-05-07 6:20 PM (#172309 - in reply to #172299)
Subject: Re: 5 Years of Complaints and Nothing Done

Visionary

I have the same amount of H-D shirts and yes I wear them and don't think twice about it. I just tell people at $40 dollars a shirt I'm not spending money on more shirt. I would but Victory doesn't want our money for Tee shirts they want to change us 125% markup on parts.

Wonder why the cheap ass dealers don't make there own shirts.
Go to the Indian sit and tell them about the lack of Victory shirts. Am sure you'll here back from them. LOL LOL
mgoblue
Posted 2015-05-08 2:20 AM (#172318 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

Polaris doesn't give a shit about T-shirts. I talked with a rep from Vic years ago about the lack of apperal and you wanna know what he told me? "we make bikes, not t-shirts".
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-05-08 5:51 AM (#172319 - in reply to #172299)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
yeah T-shirts are about the Last thing Polaris is concerned with.. they are more concerned with trying to compete in a dominated area of business.. On a side note.. i have a TON of Victory t-shirts.. i dont know where my girlfriend gets them.. but she does.. i have enough Victory t shrits that i would wear a different one every day for 2 weeks... So the shirt our out there. now if your dealer wants to carry Clothing and alot of it? well thats on them ... Hell i have Victory Boots AND a $400 Victory motorcycle jacket as well..
BBQWIZ
Posted 2015-05-08 6:15 AM (#172320 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

ROCHESTER,NY
Don't ride to be seen, Ride to LIVE. RIDE HARD,LIVE FAST,DIE FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
varyder
Posted 2015-05-08 6:27 AM (#172321 - in reply to #172299)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
This post is confusing me, but I'm easily confused. Are we talking bikes or t-shirts? Isn't a clothing forum somewhere? Maybe I'm one off since I have nothing to complain about.
V92SC
Posted 2015-05-08 6:43 AM (#172322 - in reply to #172299)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I concur mgoblue, Victory makes motorcycles and a damn good one at that. Polaris has been working hrd to pull off the improbably, to bring a new brand , new product, and new way of thinking to American motorcyclist and Americans in general in a country where one name is synonymous with American motorcycles. It hs been a struggle which is qhy they bought the rights to produce Indian a name as if not more stroied, and as synonymous with American motorcycles as H D. That investment is paying off handsomely so far. Thre is an article circulating about a joint effort by Roland Sands and Victory to produce a oneoff prototype roadracer for the Pikes Peak challange. Sands is in charge of the chassis and Victory the powertrain. A glimpse of a cly mockup of the engine revealed a V twin DOHC engine possibly liquid cooled. Now that Indian seems to hve it's legs it under it Victory seems to be trying to make goodon the promise that Polaris is making good on the promise thqt it was going t9 take Victory in a new more high performance direction. Instead of competing against H D as they plan to do with Indian, and going after the likes of Ducatti, KTM. Aprillia, and BMW. I sense exciting times ahead for Victory and old and new devotees of the make. Stay curious my friends.
Jimbo62
Posted 2015-05-08 7:03 AM (#172323 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

Moncks Corner, SC United States
I'd rather stay thirsty !!
ljurgens
Posted 2015-05-08 8:14 AM (#172324 - in reply to #172299)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
I think what the OP is saying is that we are all proud of our machines and sometimes like to show that to others. It's arrogant for the Victory rep to shrug off a line of business as he did. Don't forget that the clothing line has been a huge part in the recovery of HD, there are times that I think HD makes t-shirts not bikes...
varyder
Posted 2015-05-08 9:14 AM (#172325 - in reply to #172299)
Subject: RE: 5 Years of Complaints and Nothing Done

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Finally I'm concerned that after 20 years of producing motorcycles the Victory will go the way of the Buell and a good idea and product will disappear. Leaving us with a dodo bird that can't be repaired.

I'm going to step out and make the absurd comment that there are still carbureted bikes, and cars, still on the road being enjoyed that has not been supported for 20 years or more.

rdbudd
Posted 2015-05-08 10:47 AM (#172327 - in reply to #172325)
Subject: RE: 5 Years of Complaints and Nothing Done

Visionary

Jasper, MO
varyder - 2015-05-08 9:14 AM

I'm going to step out?and make the absurd comment that there are still carbureted bikes, and cars, still on the road being enjoyed that has not been supported for 20 years or more.

Absolutely correct. I enjoy a few of them myself. A couple of my favorites haven't been made in 35 years. The British company that made them went out of business a long time ago. Repairs are no problem. Even most parts are readily available.

Ronnie
13Hambone
Posted 2015-05-08 10:52 AM (#172328 - in reply to #172299)

Puddle Jumper

First I ride as long as there is no ice on the road, so I'm not some shmuck poser!
How many people have heard of the Victory after 20 years in the market? Vic has a minor portion of the bike market and is still fighting the "American Made" stigma. How do other companies improve sales??? Advertising! Getting people that don't ride to wear your product name and logo. Product recognition is the name of the game for setting a foothold in the market. If it wasn't for having a dealer in my area I would never have known about the brand. BUT if there was no Harley, Honda, Yamaha, etc. dealers in the area I still knew of those products.

And as for my comment relating to Buell... it speaks for itself, there was limited marketing of that bike and limited support by it's engine maker and now? there is no more Buells. There are Buell bikes still on the road but Harley will tell you (in my area) that they "can't" work on them anymore, because they don't have parts.

Limited marketing efforts, not listening to your existing customers concerns (fender issues), and not teaming with an aftermarket company to make price appropriate accessories available to it's rider base is short sighted in the extreme. Just my opinion.
varyder
Posted 2015-05-08 1:44 PM (#172330 - in reply to #172299)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

That's a bunch of Buell! As far as I understand and I have not dug into the Buell situation, but it seems that Buell got shafted by Harley. That is not the same scenario as Victory. I'm tracking what you're saying, but I believe Victory will always have a small, but strong following, even if they are abandoned by Polaris. I think us dyed in the wool Vision riders will be a rarity, much like the Ridley's, Royal Enfield, and um, Buell. In the world of making stuff, the manufacturers will only make what keeps the green following in. My only GM car I liked went away, Oldsmobile, yet they were the oldest of the bunch, but they were putting their money in a different direction to make more. The Jeep Cherokee, a standing favorite and on the top 10 selling vehicles in the world for many years was axed and there are tons of Cherokee fanatics still around. I don't mix my passion for riding and what I ride with the support that I get. I know I older gentleman, a pastor and veteran, who at the age of 13 wanted to ride a motorcycle so he built one out of an old lawnmower engine and a bicycle. He rode that around delivering papers until he could save up enough to buy him one. He rode all his life until his health start to decline and he went to a scooter. He's in his 80s now and gave up riding his scooter a few years ago. But through the years he always made do just so he could have his face in the wind. I'm not advertising for Victory, but I do speak up for them. Everything we get from Victory is what it is. The fender issue, I never any gave it the first thought, I fixed mine with a few things in the shed and it is still holding up. Victory doesn't know my name anymore...

Edited by varyder 2015-05-08 1:45 PM
V-rodder
Posted 2015-05-08 4:12 PM (#172333 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

Harley has positioned itself not as a motorcycle company but as a status symbol. Hence motorclothes being a huge part of their business. Polaris makes motorized vehicles, of which Victory is one of their motorcycle divisions. I will argue that some motorclothes are needed because it is free advertising.
varyder
Posted 2015-05-08 5:03 PM (#172334 - in reply to #172299)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

On that note, and you make mention of it, there is a Harley culture that is synonymous with biker. Honda was able to cultivate in relatively a few short years the prestige of owning a Gold Wing. But a lot of that is driven by the people that ride them as well. Currently on the Victory website has the tagline for the Vision is "let the odometer do the talking." Could it be because there are some of us that shut and ride instead of sitting around complaining what Ma Vic ain't doing. For me, the Vision is spot on and you can read post on this site by me back in '07.

Here's one from '08 that taught me to "fix it myself" from then on.

"I only speak for myself as you can see in my review, but I'll repeat my feelings here. Even if nobody else ever wanted to ride a Vision again, I would still keep mine, confirming my belief in that it was made just for me. So, as far as drawbacks, the only one I see right now is that mine is still at the dealers and I've not ridden for 10 days and they don't have loaners."

Edited by varyder 2015-05-08 5:05 PM
BBQWIZ
Posted 2015-05-09 7:22 AM (#172338 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

ROCHESTER,NY
I disagree with you VA. The Vision was made for ME. hahahahahahah !!
okie vision
Posted 2015-05-09 7:55 AM (#172339 - in reply to #172299)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
I had a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe before the Vision. I only had 1 shirt.

I have half a dozen Victory shirts.....success!!
rdbudd
Posted 2015-05-09 8:45 AM (#172340 - in reply to #172339)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
okie vision - 2015-05-09 7:55 AM

I had a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe before the Vision. I only had 1 shirt.

I have half a dozen Victory shirts.....success!!

LOL!!

Mine was a Goldwing. No shirts. The shirts don't make or break the success of a good bike or company. Honda is doing fine, and the Goldwing is still around after 40 years.

Now, I have two Victorys and several Victory shirts, many of them given to me by dealers. Some of the very early Victory dealers were very good about promoting the new brand. A new bike came with a new cap or shirt. A visit to an "Open House" promotion would garner another free shirt.

Heck, I don't even "look like a biker" and I've been riding for 50 years now.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-05-09 8:50 AM
Pops
Posted 2015-05-09 11:26 AM (#172342 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
This is a hilarious thread! LOL

T-shirts?

Really?
sgiacci
Posted 2015-05-09 4:37 PM (#172343 - in reply to #172299)

Tourer

For years I've have had one simple motto about Victory and HD.

"I buy my bike from Victory, but I get my riding gear from HD, or to put it simply I ride my bike, not wear it"

Truth be told, I don't get my riding gear for HD.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-05-09 5:49 PM (#172346 - in reply to #172342)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Pops - 2015-05-09 11:26 AM

T-shirts?

Really?

Exactly!! Ride and don't worry about fashion statements.

My leather jacket has a Victory logo. I got it on sale because my old Sears leather jacket seriously shrunk and I needed a new one. That Sears and Roebuck jacket was a good one.

Ronnie
Vladezip
Posted 2015-05-12 12:52 AM (#172383 - in reply to #172342)

Glendale, AZ United States
Pops - 2015-05-09 10:26 AM

T-shirts?

Really?

I agree. Shame on me for reading all the threads up to this point not to mention that Victory apparel, whether it's a helmet, gloves, or jacket sucks just like the HD made in China stuff also. I buy what takes a beating and works and have no "Victory brand" clothing/apparel loyalty at all. If you want to make a fashion statement and look good on the scooter while riding and after you get off so be it. I got on the high visibility wagon after my accident some years back and am not getting off.
13Hambone
Posted 2015-05-12 10:08 AM (#172389 - in reply to #172342)

Puddle Jumper

Hey Pops it's not about T shirts.

It's about marketing and my belief that Victory has a good product but if the market share dwindles so does the support for the bike by the manufacturer.

The T shirts were only used to make the point that it would be a simple thing to address. And for those touting Honda as not having logo items... look again the gold wing has tons of shirts and jackets etc., and Honda has commercials on tv.

Where's the advertisement for the Victory brand?

This is my opinion so if you don't agree that's fine.
Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-05-12 2:42 PM (#172395 - in reply to #172299)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
I buy my riding clothes at Tractor Supply, Boots at Walmart and gloves from Home Depot. What difference does it make, the clothes you wear? My Bike is the advertisement. Everywhere I ride, I get asked about my great looking bike (13 Gold Mist Vision). Everywhere!! Nobody ever asks me about my clothes.
fnvision
Posted 2015-05-12 4:58 PM (#172396 - in reply to #172299)

Puddle Jumper

Taylorsville, KY
If you want people to notice what you're wearing start riding naked!
Pops
Posted 2015-05-12 8:30 PM (#172402 - in reply to #172389)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
13Hambone - 2015-05-12 11:08 AM

Hey Pops it's not about T shirts...

I'm just sayin'

My Victory dealer has way more "Victory" labeled clothing than he does his other bands. KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda.

Seems to be plenty of Victory stuff available.

I rode Beemers most of my life. Victory has way more stuff than BMW ever thought about having.

I think that Harley is really big on t-shirts. In other words, it's a Harley thing.

Whatever!