You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Temporarily Down
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

iluvink
Posted 2017-11-13 9:57 PM (#192348)
Subject: Temporarily Down

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Well, I fractured my leg back in mid-September. Since that time, my Vision has been parked. The battery is fine, and I am not worried about it. My question is everything else. A HD-bike riding friend of mine, said that he would take her around the block, if I wanted. I probably won't be back on until at least mid-December. Think it will be okay to wait? Or should I take him up on his offer?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2017-11-15 10:05 AM (#192349 - in reply to #192348)
Subject: Re: Temporarily Down

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Well, I don't think your HD riding buddy will have the requisite skills to take such a nice ride out. So, I would have to go with NO, but since I'll be down in your neck of the woods, be glad to give the superb bike a wee bit of a workout.

All kidding, aside, Mine has sat for months on in, with no issues starting it up. A lot of guys have to winter over for 6 months, so there shouldn't be any problems. At most, put a fuel stabilizer in it, I don't normally. Otherwise, keep the mice off of it, maybe throw its favorite blankey on, to keep it warm.

Otherwise, heal up and get better, or you could do upgrades while its sitting.
iluvink
Posted 2017-11-15 8:11 PM (#192350 - in reply to #192349)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Thanks pollo..I'll leave it then. My Baby is garage kept, and the garage is part of the house. So, she's always warm and dry. Curious, about how long before you get 'tire spots'?
BumbleDB
Posted 2017-11-15 9:14 PM (#192351 - in reply to #192348)

Cruiser

Are you actually in Dal, or the surrounding areas?
I moved out of the city limits in 92, but on a clear day I can still see downtown if I'm on high ground.
pollolittle
Posted 2017-11-17 12:25 PM (#192352 - in reply to #192348)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Now I gotta ask, what's a tire spot? Is it from you hopping on without going anywhere, putting a TV in front and pretending your on a back country road. Never heard of such, matter of fact I got a bike sitting on concrete in my shop, hasn't moved in over 5 years. Been sitting in the same spot for almost 10 years and haven't found a tire spot, and the bike is 15 years old. So, unless something starts leaching out of a tire, I dunno.
RoteBarron
Posted 2017-11-17 8:19 PM (#192353 - in reply to #192348)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, WY United States
Bike'll be alright. Unless the temp in Texas drops to 40 below zero (same temp in C or F for that matter) your tires will be fine. In the old days bias ply tires "could" get "square" but not in the last 40 years or so. I've seen radials go "square at -40 but if it gets that cold there we got bigger problems so to speak. I sort of live by the creed that one should never share his wife or his bike and only the car if you ride along. Speedy recovery and long may you ride.
iluvink
Posted 2017-11-17 8:28 PM (#192354 - in reply to #192351)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
BumbleDB - 2017-11-15 9:14 PM

I moved out of the city limits in 92, but on a clear day I can still see downtown if I'm on high ground.

Actually, I am fairly close to DFW airport.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2017-11-18 9:48 AM (#192355 - in reply to #192348)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
You could always throw some sta-bile in the gas tank. But since we have two gas tanks I wonder if it would get into the other one? By just sitting there. ? As far as flat spots on the tire is concerned I guess it must depend on the brand of tires or air pressure or something? Because in the 25 years that I've been riding I've never lifted my bike off the wheels when I stored it and I also have never had flat spots on my tires from the bike just sitting there for a couple months (6+ . Also this might be considered a little bit on the anal retentive side but I'm also a vision owner that had to replace his engine this year so I'm more anal retentive now than ever before. !!

How many miles is on the current oil in the engine? Because use Oriole has Blow by gases when mixed with condensation creates acid. If the oil has many thousand miles on it and you don't plan on riding it anytime soon I would suggest heating the engine up turning it off draining it and putting fresh oil in it.

My engine has to be replaced due to low compression in the front cylinder upon further inspectionMy engine has to be replaced due to low compression in the front cylinder upon further inspection the front cylinder walls were scored in the weave and found little pieces of metal at that point it was advised to me to split the whole entire case and disassemble the engine and transmission. I found it more cost effective to buy a used engine with 3000 miles on it that was 2 years newer than the one I had.. ! What happened to me I believe was just a defect it wasn't anything related to this subject..

But the things that come to my mind is oil, gasoline going stale and battery.
BumbleDB
Posted 2017-11-19 3:27 AM (#192357 - in reply to #192354)

Cruiser

iluvink - 2017-11-17 8:28 PM

That sure puts you in the thick of it.
I occasionally ride with a bunch of other vic owners, the usual leader is in FTW.
Let me know if you want to join in. Pretty much day rides, but we do have a longer one coming up in Mar.
iluvink
Posted 2017-11-19 10:40 PM (#192358 - in reply to #192357)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
BumbleDB - 2017-11-19 3:27 AM

iluvink - 2017-11-17 8:28 PM

That sure puts you in the thick of it.
I occasionally ride with a bunch of other vic owners, the usual leader is in FTW.
Let me know if you want to join in. Pretty much day rides, but we do have a longer one coming up in Mar.

After I heal, I'll hit you back.
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-11-21 1:52 PM (#192360 - in reply to #192348)

Visionary

put a battery tender on the battery YA its ok now but it will lose charge in time.
Letting bike sit will do less harm then quick rides
varyder
Posted 2018-01-19 5:07 PM (#192391 - in reply to #192348)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
No joke, mine has been setting for more than a year outside and I start it about every other month, and it starts up every time, no tender.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™