You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tires for XR-LE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

marlake
Posted 2012-05-31 8:51 PM (#115634)
Subject: Tires for XR-LE

New user

I own #45 XR-LE. These are a new style Vic bike with little history. I'm already looking to put on new tires and I'm very confused. Please bear with me.
On another forum, it was mentioned there was a great deal on Bridgestone Tires. They are offering a combo (front and rear) tire set for the GL1800 Gold Wing that is the same spec as on Vic Cross bikes. These are radial tires for $269 for both tires shipped.
My friend who has a GL1800 raves about these tires but reminded me that my LE has spoked wheels which require tubes and both Bridgestone and my Vic dealer say that you can't/shouldn't run tubes in radial tires. Friction issues, blah blah blah O.K.
My LE came with a Dunlop EliteII 491 bias ply tire on the front which is consistent with what I was told. But, when I checked the rear tire, it is a Dunlop Elite 3 radial tire on the spoked wheel with a tube in it.
WTF gives. From what I can gather, you shouldn't run tubes with radial tires, you should never mix radials and bias ply tires on the same vehicle and other contradictory crap.
When I questioned my Vic dealer about this he just said "thats the way they come from the factory----bias front and radial rear" with no further explanation as to why when this seems to be so improper technically. Remember, this is the same guy that in the first conversation said that you couldn't run radials with tubes and is now telling me that they come from the factory with radials/tubes on the rear of all XR-LE's
Can anyone please explain this to me so I can understand?
Is this an oversight by Victory that is just now coming to light as this new model requires tire replacement?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and RIDE SAFE
Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wesdalton
Posted 2012-06-02 3:51 PM (#115700 - in reply to #115634)
Subject: Re: Tires for XR-LE

Puddle Jumper

I have used Metzler radials on my C-50 Suzuki (spoked tires) with tubes for 18k miles no problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™