You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Dangerous Isue - Please help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads Tech Q&AMessage format

Roughrider
Posted 2012-10-09 12:49 PM (#124960)
Subject: Dangerous Isue - Please help!

Puddle Jumper

Comfort, Texas

2011 Cross Country. 39,000 miles. Last modification was the addition of HID kit (High and Low), about a month or two ago. Have not ridden the bike since Thursday, last. All the usual things happen when I turn the key to the on position. But only heard a clicking sound when I pressed on the start button. Turned key off and tried three times, fourth time motor kicked over started. Got about two blocks away and my low beam headlight went out. Pulled the clutch in and also noticed that the battery readout showed the needle pegged at the top (18)? The needled went down and the headlight came back on? Continued to ride and after a mile the headlight went out, battery needle pegged at top, and an engine light came on. Turned on the Hazard lights, so that I could warn others, but those ceased working after a few minuets. Then I turned the left turn signal on, and it also stopped working after a few minutes? Went another mile, same problem all the way home but without engine light showing. Really strange part is, when I turn the High Beam on, the battery needle stayed between  14 and 12, lights never went off?

Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I am leaving work early, so that I can get home and try to figure this out. Will periodically check this site

Top of the page Bottom of the page
RonBou
Posted 2012-10-10 8:47 AM (#125021 - in reply to #124960)
Subject: Re: Dangerous Isue - Please help!

Cruiser

Check all the connections you touched when installing the HID stuff. Sounds like a loose connection causing a break in the ground. Just a guess.
CrossRoads
Posted 2012-11-18 9:24 AM (#127052 - in reply to #124960)
Subject: RE: Dangerous Isue - Please help!

New user

Roughrider - 2012-10-09 10:49 AM

2011 Cross Country. 39,000 miles. Last modification was the addition of HID kit (High and Low), about a month or two ago. Have not ridden the bike since Thursday, last. All the usual things happen when I turn the key to the on position. But only heard a clicking sound when I pressed on the start button. Turned key off and tried three times, fourth time motor kicked over started. Got about two blocks away and my low beam headlight went out. Pulled the clutch in and also noticed that the battery readout showed the needle pegged at the top (18)? The needled went down and the headlight came back on? Continued to ride and after a mile the headlight went out, battery needle pegged at top, and an engine light came on. Turned on the Hazard lights, so that I could warn others, but those ceased working after a few minuets. Then I turned the left turn signal on, and it also stopped working after a few minutes? Went another mile, same problem all the way home but without engine light showing. Really strange part is, when I turn the High Beam on, the battery needle stayed between� 14 and 12, lights never went off?

Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I am leaving work early, so that I can get home and try to figure this out. Will periodically check this site

The HID does not have anything to do with the electrical issue you're having. �The HID ballast is smart enough to shut off the kit when excessive voltage is applied. It also does this if wrong polarity is applied. Anyway, the lights are shutting off to prevent damage due to the excessive voltage they are receiving. Don't worry, the lights will not get damaged from this.

However, the ECU can get fried, so I suggest you do not ride the bike at all until it's fixed.

And finally, the bad news: Your voltage regulator has gone bad. You will need a new one. The battery can also go bad quickly if you ride the bike with a bad voltage regulator - hopefully the battery's still good. Order a new Voltage Regulator, and install it yourself - it's very simple, you unplug the existing one, and plug in the new one, and it's being held in place by 2 screws.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™