You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

tipover experience
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

Virgo
Posted 2013-04-04 2:59 PM (#134225)
Subject: tipover experience

Puddle Jumper

Hi, has anybody had any experience with tipover(s)? How well is the bike protected by the new tipover bars?Just in case, can you pick it up alone or do you need about 4 people to give you a hand?

Regards,
Wolfgang
Top of the page Bottom of the page
X1811
Posted 2013-04-12 4:45 PM (#134671 - in reply to #134225)
Subject: Re: tipover experience

Puddle Jumper

I'm hoping I don't have to find out the hard way. I once dropped my Road King in my driveway and had my wife help me pick it up. The crash bars definitely protected the bike from any damage and that should be the same on the Vic. There is a video floating around that shows how one person can easily pick up any bike. You have to kneel down and basically lift the bike with your legs and back supporting it. Just be careful not too push too far or it will flip over to the other side.
MIC_Rulz
Posted 2013-04-17 3:04 PM (#135053 - in reply to #134225)

New user

Rochester, NY
I've tipped mine over onto the forged bars a few times and they worked great. I can't even tell. I was able to right it myself and I'm not a strong guy by any measure. It rests on the wheels and crash bar fairly high angle. I was able to get my knee at the seat and flex my foot while pushing the handlebars and get it upright. I've been lucky that it was never moving when this happened as that might be my key to the no damage thing.
Whiskeygut
Posted 2013-05-02 8:17 PM (#138175 - in reply to #134225)
Subject: RE: tipover experience

Puddle Jumper

Tipped mine over at a gas station and the forged bars along with the bag bars kept it from touching the ground anywhere else. If you get on your hands and knees and look real close you can see slight marks on the bottom of the chrome bars.

Getting it back upright was more difficult than dropping it. I was unable to get low enough to leverage it up myself. So a garnered the help from a guy fueling up his car and he helped me right the bike.

Wouldn't suggest dropping it, but the bars absolutely do their job and keep things from getting expensive.
DakotaRider
Posted 2013-05-06 11:29 AM (#138398 - in reply to #134225)

Puddle Jumper

Rapid City, SD
My tip over experience wasn't a very pleasant experience. My XCT tipped over when I attempted to park in a spot where my foot didn't make it to the ground. (Operator error.) My left lower fairing, front fairing and windshield were damaged in the fall. Also had to replace the broken clutch lever. Grrrrr. Wheels were up in the air and it required me and a fella who was a weight lifter (no kidding) to get the bike back upright. Just so ya know.....it is a HEAVY bike (especially when almost upside down). Now I check parking spots especially well.
GrogAV
Posted 2013-07-07 6:16 PM (#141333 - in reply to #138398)

Puddle Jumper

DakotaRider - 2013-05-06 11:29 AM

My tip over experience wasn't a very pleasant experience. My XCT tipped over when I attempted to park in a spot where my foot didn't make it to the ground. (Operator error.) My left lower fairing, front fairing and windshield were damaged in the fall. Also had to replace the broken clutch lever. Grrrrr. Wheels were up in the air and it required me and a fella who was a weight lifter (no kidding) to get the bike back upright. Just so ya know.....it is a HEAVY bike (especially when almost upside down). Now I check parking spots especially well.

The XCT does not have tip over protection! Why not? Is there any add on that can do this. I've had lots of bikes over the years some could be dropped without damage except to the crash bars. I even dropped a G5 Guzzi with truck, bags and fairing in the rain, (new tires fast stop light) it slide though the intersection with almost no damage. Just the end of fairing trim strip. I've had my wing fall over parked facing down a small slop forgot to put in gear and it rolled forward retracking the side stand. No damage at all. Now I see that the XCT does not have this protection, I'm disappointed in this short sight on part of Vic. Do I have to take the lower fairings and bars off and put on the XC forged bar to get this?
RonBou
Posted 2013-07-08 5:40 AM (#141344 - in reply to #134225)

Cruiser

What year XCT? My 2012 has a crash bar (tip over protection) protruding from the ;lowers and has bars around the saddle bags. All stock from the factory. AND they work!
Garyinwi
Posted 2013-07-11 10:30 PM (#141493 - in reply to #134225)

New user

Western WI
I also slowly laid my XCT down in my garage and it rested solidly at about a 45 degree angle on the crash guard, bag guard and wheels. Was able to pick it up myself using the reverse lift approach. ( Many videos on YouTube on the technique).
Hammer60
Posted 2013-07-22 7:50 PM (#141979 - in reply to #134225)

New user

I had mine tip over in a parking lot did not hurt anything and was easy to get back up. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2S1jFvuR2A
chesshiretuna
Posted 2013-07-23 8:30 PM (#142014 - in reply to #134225)

Tourer

This is the same method I use for the Vision. The reverse puts your back and legs to work.
Strike
Posted 2013-08-13 3:16 PM (#142921 - in reply to #138175)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Whiskeygut - 2013-05-02 6:17 PM

Tipped mine over at a gas station and the forged bars along with the bag bars kept it from touching the ground anywhere else. If you get on your hands and knees and look real close you can see slight marks on the bottom of the chrome bars.

Getting it back upright was more difficult than dropping it. I was unable to get low enough to leverage it up myself. So a garnered the help from a guy fueling up his car and he helped me right the bike.

Wouldn't suggest dropping it, but the bars absolutely do their job and keep things from getting expensive.

Had a similar experience in July trying to prevent myself from being backed over by one monster truck, and being a hood ornament on one another one trying to pull in, and got my front tire stuck in a pothole, and fell to the right. The only thing that touched the concrete was the right saddlebag guard, and was slightly scratched the same place as Whiskeygut.

Neither a** hole in the two trucks offered any help, but the guy that pulled in to the pump I was at ran over. Definitely a two man lift.
Virgo
Posted 2013-09-01 12:01 PM (#143944 - in reply to #142921)

Puddle Jumper

Tipped mine over in a parking lot, just after a speed bump. It went down in slow-motion and stayed at an 45? angle. I had no luggage or extra weight on it and was able to lift it myself, not with the back-against-seat technique, but forward, pressing my thighs against the seat and grabbing the handlebars. Similar to the movement when pushing a horsecart uphill.
As I am not a strong guy, I was pretty proud of myself afterwards. I couldn't move the bike with the You-tube technique of pushing my back against the seat.
GrogAV
Posted 2013-10-18 5:39 PM (#146832 - in reply to #134225)

Puddle Jumper

I've been picking up bikes for years using the butt in the seat using the lowest handle bar gripe and the passenger handholds if bike has them, bag crash bar or edge of seat if nothing else is available. Lift with legs not back. This summer I've picked up 1 VTX1800, 2 GL1800, 2 XCC and 1 Yamaha 1900. All dropped in parking lots, fuel stations, drive ways or stop sighs none with any speed. A couple just forgot to put down the side stand. It always help if there is someone there to put the side stand down and put in gear if it falls to left. Can do it solo if it falls to right if you remember to put out the side stand and put it in gear if on a slope. I was told by the Victory police guy that the XCT will go all the way over or turtle if the truck is loaded with a passenger on board. He said putting the bag bars that they use on the police bikes would stop this, I looked them up and they cost 699 so not on top of list to do right now. D&D pipes and trip to Vic shop first.
densred12xc
Posted 2013-10-22 8:35 AM (#146968 - in reply to #134225)

Puddle Jumper

Fostoria Ohio USA
My 2012 XC has the forged crash bars and it did tip over one time. The bars did their job perfectly but there is a scrape in the paint along the lower edge of the bottom corner of the right saddlebag. You literally have to crawl under the saddlebag to see it. If I had put the saddlebag bumpers on, it wouldn't have happened at all.
Ben_D
Posted 2013-11-21 1:22 PM (#149067 - in reply to #134225)

New user

I'm 62, 5'8". I tipped my XCT and was able to right it by myself using the handlebars and the passenger grab bars and backing up. Thank you, Jerry "Motorman" Palladino!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™