You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Barnett pressure plate and spring
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-04 11:37 AM (#153971)
Subject: Barnett pressure plate and spring

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
If you're on the fence about adding this just because it's on Lloyd's site, my recommendation is not to do it.

I got the clutch kit along with the pressure plate and spring for Christmas and installed them Wednesday night. The outcome is FANTASTIC -- the clutch take-up and feel is amazing. There's a lot of feel in the friction zone, so if you follow motorman's methods the low speed stuff is orders of magnitude better. So much lever range where it's slipping but still pulling - I love it. I am overjoyed with the outcome.

BUT (and it's a big but) I believe that's all due to just the clutch kit. The spring and pressure plate are only providing more clamping force, not the effects mentioned above. The lever effort is much higher with this spring. I went ahead and did it because I assumed the hydraulics would make the change not so big. It's still pretty big. I have little Popeye forearms and normally use two fingers to run the clutch - this has me using all four fingers. If you plan to build to 150+ Hp the lever effort would be worth it, but since the stock spring has proven plenty for 130Hp it really isn't worth living with for almost all of us.

That's my two cents, take them for what they're worth. The clutch kit is DEFINTELY worth it - the spring/plate not so much unless you make a shitload of power.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2014-04-04 12:39 PM (#153974 - in reply to #153971)
Subject: Re: Barnett pressure plate and spring

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Good post, thanks
How many miles on your bike? Issues with stock clutch?
No matter what brand bike, I don't think I've ever read negatives about Barnett clutch products

BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-04 1:16 PM (#153975 - in reply to #153971)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Only 42k miles. No problems with the stock clutch to speak of, but I've never liked the on/off nature of it. Very small range of lever travel between disengaged and engaged. I only change it to get more lever range in the slip zone for parking lot tight turning. I'm completely pleased with the results in that regard.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-04-04 4:17 PM (#153980 - in reply to #153971)

Iron Butt

What about the clunk shifting into first? Did it make any difference in that regard?

Marc
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-05 12:18 PM (#154000 - in reply to #153980)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
marcparnes - 2014-04-04 5:17 PM

What about the clunk shifting into first? Did it make any difference in that regard?

Marc

Not really, no. It didn't make getting into neutral while running any easier, either.
kevinx
Posted 2014-04-05 4:17 PM (#154003 - in reply to #153974)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Hate the Barnett spring and plate. Cranks up the effort with little extra clamping force. The plate is also to soft, and dies after about 20K. Finally I have seen one destroy a Vision slave cyl after about 10K
rebelce
Posted 2014-04-05 4:53 PM (#154005 - in reply to #154003)

Cruiser

For higher horsepower applications, what would be your recommendation KevinX?
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-05 8:06 PM (#154016 - in reply to #154003)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
kevinx - 2014-04-05 5:17 PM

Hate the Barnett spring and plate. Cranks up the effort with little extra clamping force. The plate is also to soft, and dies after about 20K. Finally I have seen one destroy a Vision slave cyl after about 10K

Well that sucks. I might take it back out next time the oil needs changing. At least it's an easy job.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-11 10:03 AM (#154150 - in reply to #154003)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA

Well...on a bike that already has 42k miles on it the hydraulics definitely aren't up to the task. 110 miles later and something just gave up. Don't know what yet, I'll take it apart this weekend and find out. Thankfully it was in my driveway rather than in the middle of town.
kevinx
Posted 2014-04-11 12:23 PM (#154155 - in reply to #154150)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
BrandonM7 - 2014-04-11 11:03 AM

Well...on a bike that already has 42k miles on it the hydraulics definitely aren't up to the task. 110 miles later and something just gave up. Don't know what yet, I'll take it apart this weekend and find out. Thankfully it was in my driveway rather than in the middle of town.

Damn man....sorry I jinxed ya.....

For aplications up to 120/120.....The bone stock Vic clutch with a semi synthetic oil is all you need. More power then that, and you need to consider the lock up clutch from Lloydz
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-11 12:45 PM (#154156 - in reply to #154155)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
kevinx - 2014-04-11 1:23 PM

BrandonM7 - 2014-04-11 11:03 AM

Damn man....sorry I jinxed ya.....

For aplications up to 120/120.....The bone stock Vic clutch with a semi synthetic oil is all you need. More power then that, and you need to consider the lock up clutch from Lloydz

Yeah, I'm going back. I like the Barnett plates, but I'll definitely put a vic spring and probably pressure plate in.

It actually isn't a hydraulic issue -- either the clutch basket cracked or one of the snap rings holding it together broke or ripped its groove out. The clutch is disengaged at rest -- nothing could really cause that other than the clamped-together clutch assembly coming apart. The hydraulics seem to be working just fine from diagnosing it without opening it -- I can't tell that they're working at full capacity, but they certainly aren't the problem. I hope it didn't result in too much metal in the case, but at least that side has a stupidly strong magnet that might have caught it all. I'll find out tomorrow.

Are there any good online sources for factory Vic parts? My nearest dealer is fifty miles away and I don't much care for them.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-04-11 12:48 PM (#154157 - in reply to #153971)

Iron Butt

I've been using Maxim Powersports at (219) 942-0548. Speak with Bob in parts. He is extremely responsive and offers good prices and reasonable shipping.

Marc
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-11 1:08 PM (#154158 - in reply to #154157)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
marcparnes - 2014-04-11 1:48 PM

I've been using Maxim Powersports at (219) 942-0548. Speak with Bob in parts. He is extremely responsive and offers good prices and reasonable shipping.

Marc

Right on - thanks man.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-16 9:30 PM (#154325 - in reply to #153971)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
So the inner fingers of the Barnett spring were just short enough to jump through the factory snap ring. That's what came apart. I'll put up some pics tomorrow, but nothing really shows what I could see in person. The spring made its way out from under the snap ring, despite the fact that the seat below it kept the ring from compressing any. That won't make sense to any of you that haven't taken it apart I don't guess, but a few of you will know what I mean.
TimS
Posted 2014-04-25 11:25 AM (#155616 - in reply to #153974)

Iron Butt

okie vision - 2014-04-04 10:39 AM ... No matter what brand bike, I don't think I've ever read negatives about Barnett clutch products

I went though 3 Barnett clutches in less than 3,000 miles (2 Scorpion and 1 Pressure Plate).  I am back to the stock clutch and won't buy another Barnett clutch.  Barnett cost me way too much in down time, towing, lost vacations and money.  Their customer service responses confirmed my decision to stay away from their products.

Edited by TimS 2014-04-25 11:27 AM
okie vision
Posted 2014-04-25 5:10 PM (#155622 - in reply to #153971)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
except from Tim, LOL.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-05-08 6:56 PM (#156044 - in reply to #153971)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Just pasting an update I put in another thread in case people find this one through a search.

My clutch came apart after about 100 miles (I made a thread here) and I believe the diameter of the inner circle of the spring was out of spec. I KNOW I put it together correctly, and I have two very experienced techs that were working with me as we did it. The lock ring that keeps the basket together has a seat that makes it so that it shouldn't be able to come apart without clamping the spring down first. Mine came apart while riding. The ring and seat were still in place in the clutch hub, but the spring was outside of them - no longer retained. So either the inner circle is a little larger than it should be on that spring, the spring was so damn strong it distorted/flexed the rings out of the way (wouldn't be surprised by this - that spring is WAAAAAY too strong,) or magic happened and put that lock ring and seat back in its groove after the shit came apart.

I'm pleased with the Barnett plates and steels, but the pressure plate and spring caused me a shitty day and cost me money -- I won't resell the parts, so I'm out of pocket on them.
okie vision
Posted 2014-05-09 10:40 AM (#156059 - in reply to #153971)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Bummer. Guess I'll have to keep reasonable power numbers and stick with the stock setup. Thanks for posting
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-05-09 1:03 PM (#156060 - in reply to #156059)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
okie vision - 2014-05-09 11:40 AM

Bummer. Guess I'll have to keep reasonable power numbers and stick with the stock setup. Thanks for posting

Maybe their Scorpion clutch conversion is good? Dunno. I've never been fond of these diaphragm-spring types. I didn't know the Scorpion existed when I bought this stuff or I would have tried it instead.
bigwheel72
Posted 2015-03-09 8:32 PM (#170140 - in reply to #153971)
Subject: RE: Barnett pressure plate and spring

New user

I have a Victory Vegas 8-ball and I was having similar clutch problems. Then I ordered that part you mentioned(the one for my model) from Barnett and one thing that stood out when it arrived. In the manual there is a special friction outer plate or ( friction clutch plate) that goes on top of all the other plates, and it was not in the kit. I checked the parts for your bike too and I noticed that it was also required for your bike. did you install this or not? see #11 on the attachment.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Doc1.docx (44KB - 11 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™