You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Upset Harley owner
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Oldman47
Posted 2014-06-07 6:20 PM (#158160 - in reply to #158010)
Subject: Re: Upset Harley owner

Tourer

Central Illinois
<p>The "twin cam" engines are reputed to have potential problems with their tensioners for the timing chain. AZ Victory addresses it in their video on how terrible an HD can be. You can view the very slanted video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc  </p><p>I am not a fan of AZ Victory mainly because they dramatize some rather mundane issues and ignore the reciprocals. Every solution that Victory has implemented has a potential negative effect that they completely ignore. The AZ Victory dismisses the HD starter arrangement as terrible because they use an over-riding starter clutch on a Victory, but they seem to ignore people like me who have had that clutch fail. I would rather have a grinding noise when I mess up with the engine running than have the failed starter clutch that I experienced on my Vision. Every compromise on a bike has an opposite possible solution. Stating the benefit of a choice made without stating the resultant risk is a sales gimmick, not a factual argument.</p><p> </p>

Edited by Oldman47 2014-06-07 6:35 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-07 6:40 PM (#158161 - in reply to #158010)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Yea, I've seen some of those videos. I agree, they come off bad.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-06-08 2:04 AM (#158167 - in reply to #158160)

Glendale, AZ United States
Oldman47 - 2014-06-07 5:20 PM

The "twin cam" engines are reputed to have potential problems with their tensioners for the timing chain. AZ Victory addresses it in their video on how terrible an HD can be. You can view the very slanted video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc ?

I am not a fan of AZ Victory mainly because they dramatize some rather mundane issues and ignore the reciprocals. Every solution that Victory has implemented has a potential negative effect that they completely ignore. The AZ Victory dismisses the HD starter arrangement as terrible because they use an over-riding starter clutch on a Victory, but they seem to ignore people like me who have had that clutch fail. I would rather have a grinding noise when I mess up with the engine running than have the failed starter clutch that I experienced on my Vision. Every compromise on a bike has an opposite possible solution. Stating the benefit of a choice made without stating the resultant risk is a sales gimmick, not a factual argument.

?

Arizona Victory is the place I go in addition to Victory of Mesa. I live in Glendale and they are about 110 miles away in Tucson since I have not started changing out my own tires as yet and this has been the cheapest place for tires thus far, but may begin to do so now that I have centramatics on the bike. I have personally met Mike Schultz, the owner. The shop has Police contracts in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, and Florida. The bulk of what they do over there is the police conversion. It is a lucrative setup, but a hassle dealing with some of the police agencies and their demands not to mention they do not get a single dollar up front until the motorcycles are delivered. Most of the time Mike is on the road delivering units to the police departments.

There were more HDs on the lifts at the shop then Victorys when I was over there a few weeks back I guess folks in Tucson are not youtube watchers Mike personally owns Victorys, HDs, and a BMW K 1200 LT The lead technician rides a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and loves Aprilias in addition to Victory, not to mention he is a certified Master Goldwing technician and wrenched on Honda for many years in the pacific northwest. From what I have seen the few times I have been in there it's a good group of guys from diverse motorcycle backgrounds that get into anything and everything as long as it only has two tires, which I like since I'm the same way and have no brand loyalty myself.

Arizona Victory is the only Victory dealer/service where I have been in AZ, where you can hang out in the shop area as opposed to the customer lobby while you are in there for service or whatever. I personally think at the end of the day those videos were a public relations front to give Mike some props as being an authority on Victory in Arizona because after all he got the Police contract here locally and nobody else, but keep that information on the DL
Vlad
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-06-09 12:17 PM (#158215 - in reply to #158112)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
ljurgens - 2014-06-06 8:03 AM

mgoblue - 2014-06-06 5:37 AM So i ride an 2011 HD Road Glide, owned an 08 Kingpin and 09 VV and my wife is upper management for HD. She rides an 2013 CC and and rides it to work and they seriously ask her to park out back so when people are waiting on service they arn't staring at her bike. Me, went to Harley because of all the perks my wife get's but she rides Vic's cuz they can fit her. She is 5'1". I guess i just have to laugh at these post cuz most of you are rite a majority of HD "riders" are just posers, but there are actually and i know this is hard for some of you to belive but alot of them do ride.

Pretty funny that your wife rides the CC to work at HD, I'm surprised they haven't fitted her with the right HD for her, there has to be one that would fit her.

I don't like the HD bashing, or Metric bashing for that matter either, and it goes both ways. I just like bikes and want to ride all of them and see what I like. For example, I really liked riding the ST1300, super smooth bike but the way my hands pressed on the bars didn't work for me. And I'd love to add a VStrom or Super Tenere to my stable for some adventure riding someday.

And, Victory could take queues from HD or Honda etc. There are lots of things we all like about "that" bike, whichever bike it is. Ride by wire, better brakes, etc etc. Sometimes people switch just because they think the other bike is better, sometimes people stay because they fear change.

I went with Victory because my buddy had one and I found a great deal, I stayed and bought another because I really like them and fell in love with the Vision.

You're right though, there are lots of riders out there. I've got buddies who ride HD, and other buddies who ride Honda's and BMW's and Yamaha's etc. some ride more than others, and ride when they can, sometimes work schedules or kids schedules get in the way etc. I ride most days to work late spring through late fall, (7 miles in, 20-40 home) but I'll probably not get more than 5k on for the summer even with a few longer trips. It doesn't mean I don't ride, I just can't pile on the miles like some riders can, but I sure would like too...

Ride as much as you can, acknowledge other riders who are doing what you are and enjoying themselves in their own way, have a good time, and keep the shiny side up!

Well said. I've been through a lot of bikes in my years, the Vision is the first American. Dad has an HD, as do a couple of friends. They're very nice bikes. Bashing them is silly. The fit and finish is outstanding, attention to detail second to none, and anyone that thinks they vibrate just from hearing them has never driven one - the power is so smooth it almost feels electric. Not a lot of power, mind you, but a LOT smoother than it sounds. The dealer experience is as good as it gets (generally speaking,) too. I can kind of dig what hooks Harley folks - the same thing happens when you get a KTM -- you don't really understand why you love it so much, but you do. There's no way to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it (and some people are immune to it,) but it's just a love for everything about it - good parts and bad.

I got my Vic because I wanted something laid back with American swagger, but I damn sure wasn't going to either settle for 60Hp or hot rod something into the realm of being unreliable. I started reading about Victory and seeing an extraordinary number of people putting six digits on the odometer without problems -- perfect. Japanese reliability with American swagger, and a kick in the pants that most in the class can't deliver. It's hard to ask for more than that. I would like German/Austrian quality suspension, but it's close enough to perfect.

I don't have the same love for my Vision that I have for my KTM or that my dad has for his FXSTC. I have a different love. I love the KTM (and dad his FXSTC) in spite of its flaws and annoying traits. I love the Vision because it's great at everything I want it to do.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-06-09 12:21 PM (#158216 - in reply to #158160)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Oldman47 - 2014-06-07 7:20 PM

The "twin cam" engines are reputed to have potential problems with their tensioners for the timing chain. AZ Victory addresses it in their video on how terrible an HD can be. You can view the very slanted video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc ?

I am not a fan of AZ Victory mainly because they dramatize some rather mundane issues and ignore the reciprocals. Every solution that Victory has implemented has a potential negative effect that they completely ignore. The AZ Victory dismisses the HD starter arrangement as terrible because they use an over-riding starter clutch on a Victory, but they seem to ignore people like me who have had that clutch fail. I would rather have a grinding noise when I mess up with the engine running than have the failed starter clutch that I experienced on my Vision. Every compromise on a bike has an opposite possible solution. Stating the benefit of a choice made without stating the resultant risk is a sales gimmick, not a factual argument.

?

No doubt he's biased. I don't blame him for it - he was using that to become one of the most successful Victory dealers in the world.

The one-way bearing on the starter isn't just used by Vic, it's used by EVERY motorcycle manufacturer aside from HD. It is clearly the most reliable setup, you just got unlucky. It happens to all of them. Heck, I even heard of a Honda that had to get fixed once, LOL.
JustBob
Posted 2014-06-13 9:25 PM (#158312 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
<p>I have three Harlys. I love the older (up to 84) bikes but somehow also ended up with an 02 RoadKing. It doesn't have the handling or the acceleration, but even so it has something that keeps it in my stable and keeps me throwing a leg over to ride it. The wife won't ride on it, but that's ok. Gettingback on the VV after a week of riding the RK is a shock. The 73 Shovel has so much soul. After riding her I feel youger somehow. It's all good. Until I gifted my sonwith my 02 TC (165K miles) I iked riding it now and again.  The 60 Pan is getting close so I may be ridin it before end of summer. </p>

Edited by JustBob 2014-06-13 9:27 PM
Yellow Glide
Posted 2014-07-07 5:42 PM (#161031 - in reply to #158010)
Subject: RE: Upset Harley owner

New user

If it is mechanical,,,,,it WILL break. Some will have more problems than others. Love the VV, but never heard of a HD breaking a front fender that may put down the rider. The frustrations I have from VV is the lack of electronics for a "two up touring" bike. Do most not talk to their wives on long trips? The Goldwings come with the intercom standard and a decent radio. The CB on the old ones (pre 2012) were just plug and play. Sure don't get that on a Victory. If you do put a CB on, try and buy the dustcover for the lower receptacle separately from the headset kit.

I, too, am amazed by other brand bashing. Why? Trying to justify "your" purchase? I have yet to get on ANY motorcycle that I didn't get off without a big smile. At my point in life I choose function over form?.

Edited by Yellow Glide 2014-07-07 5:43 PM
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-07-07 11:17 PM (#161035 - in reply to #161031)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Yellow Glide - 2014-07-07 6:42 PM
I, too, am amazed by other brand bashing. Why? Trying to justify "your" purchase? I have yet to get on ANY motorcycle that I didn't get off without a big smile. At my point in life I choose function over form?.

Right there with you, brother. I've always chosen function over form, though -- a bit of an outlier in that way, though - my bike is always filthy and I don't really care if it has scratches or what color it is. I've been smiling since I was five, and hope I can get fifty more years of smiles on two wheels. Cheers.

Edited by BrandonM7 2014-07-07 11:21 PM
KRUZER
Posted 2014-07-08 5:58 PM (#161062 - in reply to #158010)

Puddle Jumper

Dallas, NC United States
Harleys are ok guys... The guys I ride with RIDE them, but maintaince is a lot more. They don't reject me because of my vision, they just laugh and TRY to run as hard as I do. I still have two Harleys, a LIFETIME HOG membership, a 86 FXWG, evo, belt drive, 4 speed and 02 Roadglide. My harley touring world started in 91 with an Ultra Classic with 63000 miles when I traded for a 96 Ultra, rode it 98000, then traded for an 05 Ultra rode it for 116,000 miles before trading in on my 2013 Vision. I had great service out of these bikes, but had cam bearing problems in two of them. Oil changes, tires, brakes and general tinkering was constant. Since then I have'nt looked back and I love my vision, I check the air in the tires, put gas in it, Ride 80mph ALL DAY LONG!. Checked the oil but it doesnt use any. Run any Harley I had that hard and it will drop 1/2 quart in about 1500 miles, a quart in 3,000. I personally think Harley is reaching for new ridership, the new LiveWire electric motorcycle?? Wonder what the theme song for that commerical will be....... Lets do the Electric Slide?
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-07-08 6:49 PM (#161064 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

H-D has a more sophisticated ECM then we do by far. No popping out of them. There motor has less gear noise then us cause of there primary chain. Harley has special spark plugs made for them so they get no knocking. When at a stop light the rear cylinder spark stops so the rider does not feel the heat. Harley has a race tuner that is better then PCV. Harley has sales and parts and service that are way smarter then and Vic dealers. They never give you the bull shit that the way the bike is.
They fixed there cam chain problems in 09
JustBob
Posted 2014-07-11 8:56 PM (#161189 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
I bought a good running good looking Road King, 2002 for 4000 in March this year. So don't know about he resale thing
mgoblue
Posted 2014-07-12 1:04 AM (#161200 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

JustBob, that is the deal of the century. Congrats.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-07-14 3:00 PM (#161287 - in reply to #161189)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
JustBob - 2014-07-11 9:56 PM

I bought a good running good looking Road King, 2002 for 4000 in March this year. So don't know about he resale thing

Holy cow - well done there. I've wanted to buy an old shitbox (for lack of a better term) so I could build out an engine and do a bit of customizing - most of the stuff I see is $3-$4k and not very nice at all.
mstrroissy
Posted 2015-04-26 6:22 AM (#172110 - in reply to #161031)

Puddle Jumper

Chesapeake, VA
Yellow Glide - 2014-07-07 5:42 PM

The frustrations I have from VV is the lack of electronics for a "two up touring" bike. Do most not talk to their wives on long trips? The Goldwings come with the intercom standard and a decent radio. The CB on the old ones (pre 2012) were just plug and play. Sure don't get that on a Victory. If you do put a CB on, try and buy the dustcover for the lower receptacle separately from the headset kit.

I am in the position now to trade my VV in and have been looking long and hard at the 2015 CVO Road glide Ultra. The turmoil I have is not with the vision as a whole, but as Yellow Glide mentioned it's the lack of stuff that I feel a touring bike of this level should have. I love my Vision, but I just can't have two touring bikes...I am tired of every body panel rattling, and having to listen to the dealer tell me that's just the way the bike is when I hear more than injector noise, or the tranny seems slushy or notchy sometimes. The bike is amazing to ride and to look at but other things just seem to be an afterthought bolt on. Try to by an antenna for the cb...$105 from Vic, (I know firestik is cheaper) and it seems that even though all of Vic's bikes are selling like hot cakes, ever stinking part I have needed had to be ordered.....

I am trying not to sell myself a CVO, but I think it's too late. Funny though, that after all I have done to my bike Zumo, CB and intercom, and what comes standard in every VIC (106,6spd) That you have to buy the TOP of the line bike from the other guys to get the same. I am very hopeful that the Vision stays around, it hasn't been updated since 2010, and they did send out the "pick the best dash layout" email almost a year ago, but the fit and finish of the HD is second to none...all the body panels line up exactly where they are supposed to.
jeffmack
Posted 2015-04-26 8:11 AM (#172114 - in reply to #172110)

Iron Butt

Well we all want bikes for diff reasons. No bike is perfect. But the dyno sheets on 15 CVO's are at 73 x 94. Deal breaker. I know not everyone needs or wants the perf. But I couldn't do with out the 109 x 113 I got now.
V-rodder
Posted 2015-04-26 6:33 PM (#172126 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

The big issue with HD touring is the suspension. Front end nose dive is bad, and the amount of travel of the rear is only 3" for the street and road glides. The electra and ultras have 1" more, but none are as good as vics. You are spending $ with either bike. You just have to decide which one gets you closest to what you want stock.

I had a 2010 Road Glide Custom. RG's are HD's best motorcycle. Sold it for my 2011 Vision. Never regretted it. I loved that i can lower the vision and not compromise suspension travel. Also the electric windshield sealed the deal.
V-rodder
Posted 2015-04-26 6:33 PM (#172127 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

The big issue with HD touring is the suspension. Front end nose dive is bad, and the amount of travel of the rear is only 3" for the street and road glides. The electra and ultras have 1" more, but none are as good as vics. You are spending $ with either bike. You just have to decide which one gets you closest to what you want stock.

I had a 2010 Road Glide Custom. RG's are HD's best motorcycle. Sold it for my 2011 Vision. Never regretted it. I loved that i can lower the vision and not compromise suspension travel. Also the electric windshield sealed the deal.
mgoblue
Posted 2015-05-02 2:58 AM (#172197 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

I traded my 2008 VV for a new 2011 Road Glide costum in 2011. Love the bike, I just traded my 2011 for a 2015 Road Glide special and havnt ever rode i better bike. At least thats my opnion. The project rushmore deal HD did is spot on, it's one bad ass bike ,but i do know that my wifes CC will still beat it.
rwilly
Posted 2015-05-02 1:54 PM (#172204 - in reply to #158312)

Tourer

seattle, wa
JustBob - 2014-06-13 7:25 PM

I have three Harlys. I love the older (up to 84) bikes but somehow also ended up with an 02 RoadKing. It doesn't have the handling or the acceleration, but even so it has something that keeps it in my stable and keeps me throwing a leg over to ride it. The wife won't ride on it, but that's ok. Gettingback on the VV after a week of riding the RK is a shock. The 73 Shovel has so much soul. After riding her I feel youger somehow. It's all good. Until I gifted my sonwith my 02 TC (165K miles) I iked riding it now and again. ?The 60 Pan is getting close so I may be ridin it before end of summer.?

I have 2 AMF era HDs, at the moment neither of them run! Go figure. Here is a pic of my 74, such a fun bike to own. And beautiful too.

(IMAG1184.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG1184.jpg (50KB - 2 downloads)
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-05-04 7:18 PM (#172238 - in reply to #158018)

Cruiser

Back when I bought my first BMW...a '76 R60/6, the guys at the factory I worked at would comment to me about how ugly my bike was. I loved it and being "ugly" was exactly one of the reasons I bought it in the first place !!! Meant that not everybody-and-his-brother had one AND...I don't remember the last time I bought a bike for someone else besides me. I could care less what other people think of the particular bike I own at the time.

Edited by beemerdad2@yahoo.com 2015-05-04 7:33 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™