You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Upset Harley owner
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

bmwrider1954
Posted 2014-06-04 12:43 PM (#158010)
Subject: Upset Harley owner

North Billerica, MA
This weekend, I was leaning on my VV in a crowded parking lot when a guy stopped by to admire the bike.
As I explained about all the bells and whistles, he asked me if it cost about 30K. I said no, it's not a Harley,
It cost about 22K.

His Harley T-Shirt wearing friend said as he was walking away in disgust "Wait till you try to sell that POS".

A bit jealous I think. Some folks are so clouded in their thinking that they can't admit to themselves that there are alternatives to the Harley Life!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2014-06-04 3:44 PM (#158018 - in reply to #158010)
Subject: Re: Upset Harley owner

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
We had similar weekends. Sitting close to our Vision parked along the road at our hotel, a couple on another bike rode by and I heard him tell her..."I don't know what kind it is, but it's ugly", but so were both of them. I just puffed my seegar and gazed at that Vision and couldn't remember it ever looking better.
varyder
Posted 2014-06-04 4:25 PM (#158019 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've not put it on the forum yet, but I had the conversation with the Harley man himself, or so he thought. He would never acknowledge anything about Victory, even believing it was foriegn at first, then thought it was water-cooled. Every Harley he ever owned he spoke of it in purchase price, production limits and resale. He had about 6-7 in his life, and still has about 2 bikes, though he has not ridden in about 3 years due to health. When I finally parted ways I realized it was a one-way conversation about all his Harleys. According to him, every Harley he ever sold he made money off it over the purchase price.
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-06-04 6:05 PM (#158022 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
I had a similar experience when the Harley "rider" told me that he buys Harley for the resale value. My response was that I bought my bike to ride not to sell.
el spanky
Posted 2014-06-04 9:40 PM (#158034 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States
Ride not sell!! They take about investment.. Personally... 2 types of bikes... 1 you like it... Other the one that make you wet your pants!!
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-06-05 1:40 AM (#158040 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Harleys hold their value, only if you don't ride them. Try selling one with 20k on it. There are way to many 5 yr old HDs out there with less than 5k. I think you could make more with your money in 5 yrs than investing in a HD, but then you can't trailer it to the bike week and show everyone your a badass biker on a Harley Davidson.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-06-05 3:02 AM (#158043 - in reply to #158010)

Glendale, AZ United States
More HD bashing I see. Hey, leave them alone! Can't you see most are fragile or so many of them would not be riding the same model and color to boot! You can get lost in a sea of black street glides every year at AZ bike week. If they are concerned about resale so be it, but from what I have seen over the years not all, but many of them need to be concerned with taking a total control course as well so they have something to sell in the cycle trader or craigslist at the end of the day.. Did I just say that? OUCH! Can't wait to hear the flack on this one, but I stand behind my comment. Vlad
willtill
Posted 2014-06-05 7:13 AM (#158047 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I'm a tease....

I normally will make a little side trip and park my Triumph Rocket 3 or Victory Vision; almost every weekend; for about a half hour at the Bowie Hardly Davidson dealer here in Maryland. Just to go inside and act like I'm looking at the HD's on the floor; only to really chuckle as the pirates outside; gazing and pointing intently at the "strange" bike that's materialized suddenly in from of the showroom window/entrance.

They are most interested in them. The HD herd mentality keeps them away from it though.

Edited by willtill 2014-06-05 7:14 AM
ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-05 7:54 AM (#158052 - in reply to #158010)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

I'm not bashing them, feel bad actually, especially when they talk about the 15-20k mile top end rework... Not sure if thats on all of them, but lots of them talk about it and say don't buy an HD with 20k or more miles on it that hasn't been rebuilt.

I was talking with my Brother in law and was telling him how my dealer told me to just check the bike over and change the oil for the 500 mile service. No need to bring it in, as he said "It's a victory, just ride it".

Anyway, he asked me how difficult the oil change was. I said, about 20 minutes, easy as can be. He said, not on my Ultra Limited, takes a lot longer than that and is a pain in the butt...

Edited by ljurgens 2014-06-05 7:56 AM
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-05 9:09 AM (#158054 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

As an HD owner still have my 91 Heritage Softtail I can tell you from experience over the years there is not a single HD ever sold for more than they put into it during the life of ownership. Lets face it folks everyone in the world would like to use their machine whether it be a washing machine or a lawn mower and sell it used getting more than you paid for it. The cost loss was a major driving factor in my going with my VV I walk into the HD stealership to see about upgrading my 2007 last Summer only to have my bike bashed by the salesman not only once but at about 4 different dealers. Over 30,000 with upgrades and accessories in my Ultra glide only to have them tell me they will not give anything but flat blue book as if with no accessories were installed. WTF are you kidding me only 18 grand plus my old bike for a new one but it is justified because the new bike has the new fame and you get to start all over with any chrome you might want. Wore my butt out with frustration until it was a no brainer to make the switch to my VV! Hell with all the stage one, almost every accessory, paint, and motor work I have had done it still came in almost a grand under what I paid for my 2007 Ultra Glide 6 1/2 years ago with only a few hundred more in accessories I would like to do. The only thing I have to say to those who really want you to believe they bought their HD for the resale value is FOS period!!!

Edited by Tom13 2014-06-05 9:22 AM
Tom13
Posted 2014-06-05 9:09 AM (#158055 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Oh and thanks for getting my blood going Lance was kind of having a lazy morning til now......LOL

Edited by Tom13 2014-06-05 9:16 AM
Joker
Posted 2014-06-05 10:10 AM (#158061 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Buford, GA United States
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about our planned trip to Sturgis this year and he mentioned that he just got new tires for his Road King. The first tires in 9 years as the bike only has 5,000 miles on it, he said the tread still looked good but he thought some dry rot was setting in. I told him I don't have that problem as I get new tires about every 18 months...71,000 miles and counting...
mgoblue
Posted 2014-06-06 5:37 AM (#158102 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

So i ride an 2011 HD Road Glide, owned an 08 Kingpin and 09 VV and my wife is upper management for HD. She rides an 2013 CC and and rides it to work and they seriously ask her to park out back so when people are waiting on service they arn't staring at her bike. Me, went to Harley because of all the perks my wife get's but she rides Vic's cuz they can fit her. She is 5'1". I guess i just have to laugh at these post cuz most of you are rite a majority of HD "riders" are just posers, but there are actually and i know this is hard for some of you to belive but alot of them do ride.
varyder
Posted 2014-06-06 5:56 AM (#158105 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I know a mix of them, so you're right. But the ones that ride, percentage wise is probably the same as any other bike. It's just number wise there are more Harley owners. I find a lot of folks who really ride don't mess around on forums, so you don't hear from them otherwise. On the flip side, I know I go that was a Victory-man, but since most of his friends were Harley riders, he sold his Vic and went back to Harley. When I see him he says he's glad he switch back, but he can't state a reason why except for his friends.
XRsteve
Posted 2014-06-06 6:14 AM (#158107 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I have a different take on this, I come from a Harley background, I've owned 8 Harleys and also a Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda V-65 and Suzuki TL1000. The Harley thing for me was because when I started riding in 1973 it was the meanest thing out there. I like Harleys but I only have one now and I own two Visions. My last "big" Harley was a 2003 RoadGlide and it was a good bike. I'm kind of a motor head and I recognize the advantages of the Vic engine. My last Harley had 53,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend two years ago, he dosen't ride as much as me but it now has 56,000 miles and still runs fine. There is no bike made as comfortable and big as a Vision. Is it perfect no, but I love it. My '08 has 32,000 miles on it and makes 116 HP, My '13 has 7500 miles on it and makes 97 HP. I consider both better bikes than my Roadglide in alot of aspects, but the Roadglide had way better storage capacity. Most Harley dudes that are on their 5th or better bikes recognize the goods and bads about their own bikes and other brands It's these guys with their first harley and all the motorclothes that think all harleys are made of gold.........
XRsteve
Posted 2014-06-06 6:52 AM (#158111 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
And I'll have to say even though I really make fun of the guys with heavyweight Harleys on trailers going a whole one state over when I did my last cross country trip of 7150 miles in 19 days I was on my 08 Vision but there were 5 harleys with me (roadglides and electraglides). They all made it no trouble. However one has since switched to a CC and another is thinking about it..............
ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-06 7:03 AM (#158112 - in reply to #158102)

Tourer

mgoblue - 2014-06-06 5:37 AM So i ride an 2011 HD Road Glide, owned an 08 Kingpin and 09 VV and my wife is upper management for HD. She rides an 2013 CC and and rides it to work and they seriously ask her to park out back so when people are waiting on service they arn't staring at her bike. Me, went to Harley because of all the perks my wife get's but she rides Vic's cuz they can fit her. She is 5'1". I guess i just have to laugh at these post cuz most of you are rite a majority of HD "riders" are just posers, but there are actually and i know this is hard for some of you to belive but alot of them do ride.

Pretty funny that your wife rides the CC to work at HD, I'm surprised they haven't fitted her with the right HD for her, there has to be one that would fit her.

I don't like the HD bashing, or Metric bashing for that matter either, and it goes both ways. I just like bikes and want to ride all of them and see what I like. For example, I really liked riding the ST1300, super smooth bike but the way my hands pressed on the bars didn't work for me. And I'd love to add a VStrom or Super Tenere to my stable for some adventure riding someday.

And, Victory could take queues from HD or Honda etc. There are lots of things we all like about "that" bike, whichever bike it is. Ride by wire, better brakes, etc etc. Sometimes people switch just because they think the other bike is better, sometimes people stay because they fear change.

I went with Victory because my buddy had one and I found a great deal, I stayed and bought another because I really like them and fell in love with the Vision.

You're right though, there are lots of riders out there. I've got buddies who ride HD, and other buddies who ride Honda's and BMW's and Yamaha's etc. some ride more than others, and ride when they can, sometimes work schedules or kids schedules get in the way etc. I ride most days to work late spring through late fall, (7 miles in, 20-40 home) but I'll probably not get more than 5k on for the summer even with a few longer trips. It doesn't mean I don't ride, I just can't pile on the miles like some riders can, but I sure would like too...

Ride as much as you can, acknowledge other riders who are doing what you are and enjoying themselves in their own way, have a good time, and keep the shiny side up!

Edited by ljurgens 2014-06-06 7:11 AM
jjp53
Posted 2014-06-06 7:16 AM (#158113 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Gilroy, Ca
When I bought my VV I didn't have a motorcycle license so my Harley riding friend ride it hope (20 miles). That same night while it was at my friend house out other friend ride it. Both said they liked it but would never own one because they love HD knowing all the positives the VV has over their street glides. My uncle also rode it that night along with 2-3 times in the year I had it. He gave me crap plastic bike this and that he now owns a '13 VV. Another die hard HD friend I have your bike sucks I replied with my stock bike will drag your HD (Heritage Deluxe) up and down the street all day long. He got a little sad when the 3 previous guys I spoke of laughed and verbally agreed. All he could say was beat me splitting lanes. They never give up do they.
buzz64077
Posted 2014-06-06 2:05 PM (#158123 - in reply to #158113)

Cruiser

orrick, mo
A HD guy I work with was giving me grief over my VV one day. After he had his say I told him the only reason he won't ride a Victory is because he knows if he rides one he will have to buy one. He just hung his head agreed and the conversation was over with me laughing.
willtill
Posted 2014-06-06 2:53 PM (#158124 - in reply to #158010)

Visionary

Central Maryland
In all of my years of riding... I have never ridden a Harley Davidson. I don't know why though, there are so many of them around.

I've sat on them in showrooms, but never have ridden one. Weird....
Trebuchet67
Posted 2014-06-06 8:28 PM (#158138 - in reply to #158010)

Puddle Jumper

Waxahachie, TX United States
I just traded my '08 Sportster for a '08 VV. I love the bike! It fits me well as I am 6'3" tall. My only gripe is the sheared rear drive sprocket studs. I am fighting the extended warranty folks but the dealer where I bought it is stepping up. I loved the Sportster but anything over 300 miles was difficult. Can't wait to get the Vision out of the shop planning on a ride to Iowa over the 4th of July weekend.
Rollin'
Posted 2014-06-06 8:52 PM (#158139 - in reply to #158010)

Iron Butt

, WI
I live in the Milwaukee area and I have never had a problem with a Harley rider.
mgoblue
Posted 2014-06-07 1:17 AM (#158144 - in reply to #158010)

Cruiser

Holy crap! From a Sporty to a VV? What a hugh differance. ljurgens, they can fit her but you have to cut forks and put air ride suspension on a RG or SG. The CC we just put a 2" lowering link and a lower seat and away she went. She had a Kingpin before. She loves the VIC's.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-06-07 10:17 AM (#158152 - in reply to #158052)

Tourer

Central Illinois

ljurgens - 2014-06-05 7:54 AM

I'm not bashing them, feel bad actually, especially when they talk about the 15-20k mile top end rework... Not sure if thats on all of them, but lots of them talk about it and say don't buy an HD with 20k or more miles on it that hasn't been rebuilt.

I was talking with my Brother in law and was telling him how my dealer told me to just check the bike over and change the oil for the 500 mile service. No need to bring it in, as he said "It's a victory, just ride it".

Anyway, he asked me how difficult the oil change was. I said, about 20 minutes, easy as can be. He said, not on my Ultra Limited, takes a lot longer than that and is a pain in the butt...

I came to Victory from 2 different HDs. I first owned a 2010 HD Electra Glide Ultra and then a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Both had over 25k miles on them when I sold them. I did not do a top end rebuild on either of them. I understand your enthusiasm for your Vic but please stay with the facts.

ljurgens
Posted 2014-06-07 2:04 PM (#158158 - in reply to #158152)

Tourer

]

I came to Victory from 2 different HDs. I first owned a 2010 HD Electra Glide Ultra and then a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Both had over 25k miles on them when I sold them. I did not do a top end rebuild on either of them. I understand your enthusiasm for your Vic but please stay with the facts.

Nothing to do with my enthusiasm for Victory. It's just what I hear from a few of my HD riding buds when someone talks with them about buying one. First thing they ask is how many miles, and have the "guides" been replaced. (valve guides? Timing chain guides? I don't know...) Every time, they say shy away if its over 25k, be wary. It's just what I hear from them, 2 of them build bikes (and old cars) in their home shops, so I trust them and know they know what they are talking about. I'm guessing most of the issues where not on late model bikes like the ones you had.

Like I said above, I like them all. I like the Dyna's and the Street glides, I like the Yamaha Stratoliner, the Honda ST1300 is a great bike, the test ride on the Triumph Trophy SE was great too and the BMW 1200 bikes are really cool. And then there is Ducati, super cool.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™