You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Dripping Oil Filter?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Pops
Posted 2014-07-29 8:41 PM (#163738)
Subject: Dripping Oil Filter?

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
I rarely ask for advise, but my oil filter has a small drip. More of a nuisance than a real problem. Changed the oil and filter about 1000 miles ago.

Looks like the filter is below the oil level in the sump. So.... looks like I will have to drain the oil to remove the filter to see what's the problem.

I've snugged the filter tight, but begins dripping again after a few miles.

I can catch the oil in a clean container and reuse it. I went ahead and picked up a new filter, just in case.

Fix it now, or wait about 2000 miles to my next schedule oil change and start over?

Any advise?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Oldman47
Posted 2014-07-29 10:26 PM (#163741 - in reply to #163738)
Subject: Re: Dripping Oil Filter?

Tourer

Central Illinois
Fix the darned thing. My guess is that you have a bit of dirt under the gasket area of your filter. No amount of tightening will get rid of that. You will need to clean the seating surface so your filter will seat right. Don't forget to lube the filter gasket with clean oil when you re-install it.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-07-30 6:00 AM (#163744 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
it could be a few things. and actually BOTH of these things happened to me years ago 1) double gasket.. the old gasket from the old oil filter is STILL on the motor, there for you have 2 gaskets and its leaking between the two gaskets... OR 2) and believe or not this happened to me 2-3 times...... i had a oil filter that wasnt perfectly "flat" i proved it by putting a flat edge across where they filter attaches to the motor.. I had this happen years ago with a Amsoil oil filter. they wanted me to send it back to them.. i did .. all the sudden i got a free case of oil and new filter... the most important thing REMOVE that filter and inspect WHY...
bmwrider1954
Posted 2014-07-30 8:56 AM (#163747 - in reply to #163744)

North Billerica, MA
+1 on the double gasket, I was lucky enough to look at the old filter before throwing it out and realize the seal was missing.
I put my hand on the oil filter housing and there it was. If I hadn't looked, I would have had a double gasket and a leak!
varyder
Posted 2014-07-30 11:09 AM (#163754 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
or - I had a jeep cherokee several years ago and I had just changed the oil using a frame filter. Since it was evening I didn't run the motor to check for leaks and the next morning I headed on my 50 mile trek to work. About half way there I started hearing chatter like crazy, and luckily was close to a store. When I checked it out, oil had been streaming out of a defect in the seam on the filter. I got some cheap oil and some duct tape and taped it up until I got a new filter, for free. I could have blown the engine, which had at least 170,000 miles on it at the time. I now always check for leaks for this very reason, not to check my work. (I didn't buy another Fram filter for several years after that.)
SteveS
Posted 2014-07-30 12:19 PM (#163760 - in reply to #163738)
Subject: RE: Dripping Oil Filter?

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
Pops, You are not going to lose anything other than the contents of the filter-don't drain the crankcase. Get a filter and a quart. Always wipe off the oil filter mounting boss to remove debris and confirm the oil o-ring didn't stick. Apply a little oil to the new filter o-ring and don't kill it with a wrench putting it on. Solid hand tight is all you should need. Letting it go til the next service it will blow all around and make a mess. It could make it to the tire and if you end up on a wet road it could turn ugly.
Pops
Posted 2014-07-30 6:38 PM (#163774 - in reply to #163760)

Cruiser

SteveS - 2014-07-30 1:19 PM

Pops, You are not going to lose anything other than the contents of the filter-don't drain the crankcase....

That was my real question. The filter looked low enough to have to drain the crankcase first. Was looking for someone that had this experience.

I'm pretty sure I mounted it correctly in the first place. I've done dozens over the years with no concerns. But there is always Murphy's Law.

It didn't begin to drip until about 1000 miles.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated all.

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-07-30 6:54 PM (#163775 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

go to auto parts store and buy a WIX p/n 51356 there only $7 bucks and are great filters.
pull old filter you shouldn't loose much if any. Now wipe gasket surface on motor put a thin lawyer of oil on new filter and screw on.
You will loose whats even in old filter
Don't go over board on righting the new one some day you have to get it off.
savage
Posted 2014-07-31 6:56 AM (#163799 - in reply to #163738)

Cruiser

+1 on the Wix filters. I use them on all my engines, lawn mower, generator, cars, Cummins diesel in my Ram truck. Never had a problem.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-07-31 8:44 AM (#163801 - in reply to #163738)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Yeah, the perilous location of the filter in relation to the rear tire would lead me to go ahead and fix it.
willtill
Posted 2014-07-31 9:16 AM (#163803 - in reply to #163801)

Visionary

Central Maryland
BrandonM7 - 2014-07-31 9:44 AM

Yeah, the perilous location of the filter in relation to the rear tire would lead me to go ahead and fix it.

Agree. Just think if a small pool of oil puddles in front of the tire during a long light or stop while the motor is running; you creep forward with the bike and get the tire in some of it; then feel it slip out when you get going....
varyder
Posted 2014-07-31 10:56 AM (#163811 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Or, you could lock the front brake and smoke the tire sitting at the light...yeah, baby!!
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2014-08-01 6:24 PM (#163884 - in reply to #163738)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
For those wondering what aftermarket oil filters will fit the Vision, check out our Parts Listing page: http://www.vision-riders.com/parts.asp
Oldman47
Posted 2014-08-01 11:29 PM (#163895 - in reply to #163738)

Tourer

Central Illinois
The list of filters there left out the one I am using on my Vision. It is listed for all Victories. I have the K&P model S1 reusable filter on mine. It can be obtained lots of places including Witchdoctors.
sonicbluerider
Posted 2014-08-02 10:11 AM (#163899 - in reply to #163738)

Tourer

, IA
Kp filter 120,000 miles and still doing its job
Pops
Posted 2014-08-02 9:45 PM (#163907 - in reply to #163774)

Cruiser

I removed the old filter today. Cleaned the surface and installed the new Polaris filter.

SteveS you were correct. I only lost a few ounces of oil doing the exchange.

I couldn't really find any problems. Perhaps there may have been some debris on the mating surface.

I did note that the bottom of the mating surface of the motor has a flat cutout. It looks like the bottom of the filter's gasket would overlap this cutout meaning you would not have 100% of the bottom of the gasket having motor surface contact. This might be a weak spot.

I'm presuming all of you guy's motors look like this?

Thanks again for the great support I've found here on this forum.

(oil filter surface.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments oil filter surface.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
varyder
Posted 2014-08-03 4:27 AM (#163909 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Recheck your gasket. That mating surface is wider, so the cutout does not interfere, you had a defect in the filter, or debris you didn't see. Glad you got peace of mind now.!!!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-03 9:37 AM (#163919 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
A defective oil filter has happened to me 3 times. Now no matter if it's the cars or scooter, I check for leaks when I'm done. One filter was so defective that when I started my vulcan 2000, it lost over 2.5 -3 qts as I started the bike and was backing it out of my garage. . This was the oil filter I said amsoil refunded me and gave me a free case of oil.... ( upon inspection of course). Probably why I don't use their filters any.more... I hate to admit it but all my defective filters (years ago ) were amsoil oil filters. Since then they changed their vendor/maker.
Pops
Posted 2014-08-03 12:01 PM (#163920 - in reply to #163738)

Cruiser

The leaking filter was fine for about 1000 miles.

Then began a very small drip. Only about one drop per week on the garage floor.

The last filter (installed by the dealer at the first 600 mile service) also had a very small drip. But not as bad as the second filter that I installed at the 3000 mile mark.

I'll probably go to the Wix filter next go-around.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-08-03 5:21 PM (#163923 - in reply to #163738)

Visionary

the old filter could of had a bad gasket that didn't compress when it was tightened.

If you ever do it again put the back tire up on a board you don't need much of one. Lay some news paper down so you can check for a grain of sand
LA Victory Rider
Posted 2014-08-05 11:21 AM (#163983 - in reply to #163738)

Cruiser

Monrovia, Ca
Another Wix filter fan here!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™