You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Time for a new belt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Nozzledog
Posted 2014-08-12 1:50 AM (#164177)
Subject: Time for a new belt.

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm coming up on 50k sMiles and, although the belt looks great, I am probably going to replace it before any large rides coming up (but keep it as a backup).
My local pro mechanic said I should change out both the pulley wheels also. "All three parts need to wear together".
That just turned this from a $200 project to a $600+ project!!

How many here have changed there belt?
At what mileage and for what reasons?
Did you change the pulleys too?
If not, how many miles on the new belt? Any issues?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdeerx
Posted 2014-08-12 6:20 AM (#164179 - in reply to #164177)
Subject: RE: Time for a new belt.

Puddle Jumper

Same questions here. I have 44,000 miles on my XC and was figuring at 50,000 I would do the belt. My mechanic says the same, belt and pulleys together.
willtill
Posted 2014-08-12 6:45 AM (#164180 - in reply to #164177)
Subject: Re: Time for a new belt.

Visionary

Central Maryland
Guess that changing the drive belt and pulleys; is synonymous with changing a chain and sprockets. Always as a set.
wingit3611
Posted 2014-08-12 8:38 AM (#164183 - in reply to #164177)

Cruiser

I think age plays a big part in belt life. How old is your belt? Does it show any signs of drying out, cracking? That is the big factor not the mile. An older belt with few miles is probably more prone to brake than a new one with many miles. Riding style has something to do with it too. Jack rabbit starts? Hum! JMHO
DSmith
Posted 2014-08-12 8:55 AM (#164184 - in reply to #164177)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
Having been around equipment all my life with numerous belts and chains I have always been puzzled by mechanics that say you need to replace the sprockets or pulleys everytime the belt is replaced. They might be experts on the internal workings of the engine, but they are telling me they don't know squat about the drive system. It is going to depend on the conditions that it was used in and should be replaced based on inspection. Most pulleys will make it through several belts we have always found. Many times even chains can be wore out and the sprockets are still fine.

My 08 Vision is also knocking on 50K, so far I see no reason to replace either the belt or the pulleys.
varyder
Posted 2014-08-12 12:18 PM (#164188 - in reply to #164177)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! whew! I had to get that out. Roll-on big guy. Don't worry about the pulley, and at 4 years and 50,000 miles I wouldn't worry about the belt, yoo're only half-way done. Check it though to make sure there is no nicks, cracks or cuts.  I would change it in year 6, regardless of miles or how it looks.  Remember, something could happen even with a new belt. At the end of the day, do what you think is best.

Edited by varyder 2014-08-12 12:20 PM
marcparnes
Posted 2014-08-12 1:01 PM (#164191 - in reply to #164177)

Iron Butt

I just replaced mine at 46K miles since I'm going on a 15K ride in September. I replaced all the components based on recommendations from a couple of experienced guys including Kevinx. The main problem with the rear pulley was that a lot of the hard chrome had peeled off exposing the aluminum base. Seemed like that was a good reason to replace it in any case. As for the front, I replaced that too but can't say that I could actually see any wear.

Marc
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-08-12 6:45 PM (#164197 - in reply to #164177)

Visionary

Harley gets there belts from the same place Vic does. Yes its Gates no they will not sell to us.
Harley has a much narrower belt then we do and in there owners book it say inspect at 75 thousand and replace if necessary.
The rear pulley on a Vic is aluminum and the front pulley is steal. If you look the rear pulley will show wear from dust and rock trapped between belt and pulley.
Front pulley will look perfect.
Why Vic says change belt is pure bull shit just like they say change fork oil harley bmw honda all use the same fork oil and you can go fifty thousand before changing the oil.
You look at your belt and see no flaws ride it and think about where your going
willtill
Posted 2014-08-12 7:15 PM (#164200 - in reply to #164197)

Visionary

Central Maryland
johnnyvision - 2014-08-12 7:45 PM

Harley gets there belts from the same place Vic does. Yes its Gates no they will not sell to us.
Harley has a much narrower belt then we do and in there owners book it say inspect at 75 thousand and replace if necessary.
The rear pulley on a Vic is aluminum and the front pulley is steal. If you look the rear pulley will show wear from dust and rock trapped between belt and pulley.
Front pulley will look perfect.
Why Vic says change belt is pure bull shit just like they say change fork oil harley bmw honda all use the same fork oil and you can go fifty thousand before changing the oil.
You look at your belt and see no flaws ride it and think about where your going

I agree. Victory maintenance interval(s) for some of the Vision's components was designed for revenue in mind.

Chico7z
Posted 2014-08-13 10:22 AM (#164207 - in reply to #164177)

Cruiser

Barrington, NH
I have 35k on my belt and I run it at the local dragway quite a bit(4500rpm launch) and it still looks good to me as well as both sprockets... I do run the tension a little on the tight side though, for what its worth... and its a cross country but same part #s as a Vision.
Knothead
Posted 2014-08-13 1:44 PM (#164210 - in reply to #164177)

New user

When I had my 05 kingpin I got almost 50k out of the belt before it snapped free. I replaced the belt and nothing else as all looked good. Get a spare one and drive on until it goes. The reason it broke was a snow tire chain up on I80 near Donner Summit that was in the road and I ran it over.
Travelin Man
Posted 2014-08-13 3:43 PM (#164211 - in reply to #164177)

Iron Butt

My dealer (Randy's Cycles in Marengo, IL) has no problem selling used Victorys with the original belts and over 70K miles. I have a buddy who owns a '06 H-D Ultra Classic with over 120K miles on it and the original belt.

I say, inspect and replace only if needed. The funny thing is that my honest dealer says the same thing!

That said, I've got a new rear sprocket sitting on the shelf that I have bead blasted off all the powder coating and I am going to have it mil spec nickel boron coated this winter to reduce or eliminate sprocket wear.
savage
Posted 2014-08-14 6:31 AM (#164230 - in reply to #164197)

Cruiser

johnnyvision - 2014-08-12 6:45 PM Harley gets there belts from the same place Vic does. Yes its Gates no they will not sell to us. Harley has a much narrower belt then we do and in there owners book it say inspect at 75 thousand and replace if necessary. The rear pulley on a Vic is aluminum and the front pulley is steal. If you look the rear pulley will show wear from dust and rock trapped between belt and pulley. Front pulley will look perfect. Why Vic says change belt is pure bull shit just like they say change fork oil harley bmw honda all use the same fork oil and you can go fifty thousand before changing the oil. You look at your belt and see no flaws ride it and think about where your going

We had a Gates factory rep at my place of employment for a belt seminar and the conversation led to motorcycle belts. Yes, they do make Victory and H-D belts and the are proprietary to the respective brands. What I found very interestiong was that when the developed the drive belt for Harley it was determined that it only needed to be 3/4" wide to deal with the Harleys power. H-D had the make it wider because it did not look impressive enough. Just sayin'

wingit3611
Posted 2014-08-14 10:50 AM (#164238 - in reply to #164207)

Cruiser

I would be very interested in what your VFC3 setting are for those strip runs? do you change them when you drive on the street? If so what are the street settings? Hope you will share them with me.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™