You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Heated Clothing (jacket liner or a vest)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Reviews -> Product ReviewsMessage format

Grebs_59
Posted 2008-01-22 12:57 PM (#4548)
Subject: Heated Clothing (jacket liner or a vest)

Cruiser

Twin Cities, MN

I'm looking for some feedback on electric vests. I looked at a couple but was hoping that the group may have some good recomendations and feedback. (Widder verses Gerbing's or others) Also what kind of hook-ups? - are thermostatic controls really needed? Mainly for my passenger - best to keep her warm! (esp. when I start dragging her along in March!)

Thanks in advance! Dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jama
Posted 2008-01-22 1:46 PM (#4549 - in reply to #4548)
Subject: Re: Heated Clothing (jacket liner or a vest)

Cruiser

Arkansas
IMHO go Gerbings or Warm-n-Safe.
You'll appreciate the "Heat Troller"! It's really a pain to regulate
by on-off all the time. Trust me; Ive been using these for 8 years
on 6 different bikes.
TimS
Posted 2008-01-22 3:22 PM (#4550 - in reply to #4548)
Subject: RE: Heated Clothing (jacket liner or a vest)

Iron Butt

I put the permanent mount variable Gerbing heat controllers on my bike for both driver and passenger and like them very much. The On/Off switch is too hot or too cold. It also detracts your attention from your driving having to turn them on and off all of the time.

The permanent mounts can be controlled with one finger versus 2 hands for the portable ones.

Gerbing's Vests/Jacket liners have 2 circuits so that you can have different temperatures for different parts of the body. This is a plus should you choose to use it.

I tried the Gerbing G3 gloves and like them. They have gel inserts and as a plus, remove some of the vibrations from the handlebars.

I rode in 38 degree weather yesterday and it was a bit chilly until I hooked up the jacket liner and gloves. It made a night and day difference in the ride quality. Your thoughts immediately change from "boy is it cold, when is the next stop" to "where are we going next" !!!

You will like the heated clothing.

One other thing, Gerbing's clothing has many sizing options, much more than the others (numerous chest/sleeve length combinations). You want the liners to fit snug so they don't bunch up. If they bunch up, you will get hot spots due to 3 layers of heating elements in the bunched locations.  The heated high collars are also nice.

Tim

Edited by TimS 2008-01-22 3:28 PM
jama
Posted 2008-01-22 5:13 PM (#4552 - in reply to #4548)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Ditto the above
Grebs_59
Posted 2008-01-22 5:19 PM (#4553 - in reply to #4548)

Cruiser

Twin Cities, MN
Awesome feedback guys... A new frontier for me.
Thanks!

smm
Posted 2008-01-22 8:49 PM (#4560 - in reply to #4553)

Puddle Jumper

I recently bought the Gerbing G3 gloves, jacket liner and dual controller they're great! A few months ago www.twistedthrottle.com, an authorized dealer, had a 15% off deal (mention Toasty-Five special).

BATMAN
Posted 2008-01-24 5:49 AM (#4581 - in reply to #4548)

Cruiser

MN.
I have Gerbing stuff as well, jacket linner and gloves. (with the controller) I get going to work at around 5:00 am, with a 35 min. freeway commute. As long as my face is covered well, I can easily ride up in the damp spring air even if the temp is around 30. Maybe even lower, just have never done it.
jimtom
Posted 2008-01-24 12:26 PM (#4582 - in reply to #4548)
Subject: RE: Heated Clothing (jacket liner or a vest)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I use a gerbings vest. no thermostat controller. If it's cold enough to need electric, I want it wide open or I don't need it. I had widder gloves before gerbings. the widders stopped working. Gerbings are warmer and made better. i rode last week 17 degrees on a bike with no windshield. No problem. I've been doing this for years. I know what to put on. One of my co-workers said "you must be the toughest guy here", I said "no, I'm just the only guy who got 45mpg here"

Edited by jimtom 2008-01-24 12:27 PM
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-01-24 7:24 PM (#4590 - in reply to #4548)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Nice review guys. I'll put this thread in our reviews section.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™