You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Poll Hypothetical Victory Dilemma
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

Hypothetical Victory Dilemma
OptionResults
Fill pre-orders first
Create demo fleet first

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2009-11-13 12:36 PM (#47634)
Subject: Hypothetical Victory Dilemma

Fountain Inn, SC United States
I posed this question to Vision owners but would also like to hear those interested in the Cross-x bikes...

Just for discussion, let's say Victory had to choose between filling preorders on Cross bikes or making a small number of rideable demo bikes for the traveling demo rides. With limited production of Cross bikes, let's say 5 of the 25 bikes of all models/day (admittedly, I am guessing at the numbers), creating a Cross-bike demo fleet would take about 3-4 days of production, about 12 -18 bikes total for the 2 demo trucks and other corporate demo events.

Filling preorders would make guaranteed customers happy and spur cashflow through dealerships, most likely leading to more dealer inventory orders. This would indirectly translate to more revenue from floorplan interest. The downside of this decision would mean no rideable demos for this model. Only those buyers who are likely to buy based on print, word-of-mouth, or impulse would drive sales.

Alternatively, diverting production to make a demo fleet would probably get more people interested in these models. Getting people on them would result in actual orders. Victory has realized that the demo rides have been the best marketing tools for getting the word out and acquiring orders. Since the demo rides generally happen at dealers, interested buyers are funneled through the dealer right after a demo ride. The downside of this decision is that there could be disgruntled buyers who have put down a deposit and are anxiously waiting for delivery but see that anyone with a license could ride one for free. Bad press (like forum posts) from waiting buyers might harm sales.

If you were Victory, which route would you decide and why? How do you justify the downside of your decision?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
motoman
Posted 2009-11-13 4:44 PM (#47644 - in reply to #47634)
Subject: Re: Hypothetical Victory Dilemma

New user

Let me say this and let me qualify myself first:
I own a VTX (all be it in a million pieces) and a HD SG but am very interested in the XC.
I was at the Lone Star Rally in Galveston a few weeks back. The Vic display was at the opposite end of the strand from where all the other bike Mfg's were located. The only one near them was Can-Am, which is an entirely different animal. My wife and I were the only ones there yet when we came from the other end (where I expected to find Vic.) there were plenty of people looking at bikes.
Vic missed a huge opportunity both by poor location AND by not having these bikes running and rolling down the street, even if ridden only by Vic. Rep's. They should have commissioned Ness to have built 2 of each of the customs because the custom XC wasn't on the truck, only the custom XR. I can only imagine having both the stock and custom version of each ridden down the Strand, especially during the parade, the attention and more than likely, future customers that would have generated.
They have come quite a ways on their bike designs, but obviously still have homework to do in marketing.
All in all, I am still interested in the XC but disappointed that Vic. didn't do a better job showcasing these bikes at such a large event.
elvis441
Posted 2009-11-13 5:29 PM (#47647 - in reply to #47644)

Cruiser

Houston, TX
motoman - 2009-11-13 3:44 PM

All in all, I am still interested in the XC but disappointed that Vic. didn't do a better job showcasing these bikes at such a large event.

+1
mjw930
Posted 2009-11-14 12:11 PM (#47671 - in reply to #47634)

Puddle Jumper

It's actually a moot point as I think they have already released production bikes into the demo fleet. At least all the trucks in FL and AZ for November and December have them as of yesterday. So, it looks like they will be ready to go when the 2010 rally season begins.

I think they are pretty much done with the pre-orders at the end of the month. At least I think I head all pre-orders had been scheduled for 11/09 production so some may not dribble into dealerships until early December.

We also need to remember that a large portion of the dealerships are out of the bike selling season and focused on ATV and Sled sales. From the dealers perspective I imagine not getting new bikes until Feb/Mar isn't a bad thing.

FYI, I got the last allocated pre-order CC at my local dealer and it was supposed to ship Friday but when we checked it had reverted to 11/09 which either means it's been delayed or the system is updating and it's already on a truck. Either way I should have it no later than the first week of December and I'm fine with that.

Edited by mjw930 2009-11-14 12:12 PM
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2009-11-14 1:37 PM (#47677 - in reply to #47634)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
mjw - congrats on the new CC. Hope you get it soon.

As for the discussion, it was meant to have us think as if WE were Victory. What would we do given the situation described. It doesn't have anything to do with what has actually happened.
mjw930
Posted 2009-11-14 2:05 PM (#47680 - in reply to #47634)

Puddle Jumper

OK, and that's the way I voted. You need to get the bikes into the demo fleets ASAP. That generates new sales, the pre-orders have already drunk the kool-aid

And to your point, the 1 week delay wouldn't really effect the people waiting as they wouldn't even now when production started.
Dirt_Sample
Posted 2009-12-07 9:34 PM (#49314 - in reply to #47634)

New user

When Victory was here in (so cal) late this summer they should of had a demo CC & CR bike, even if it was a Pre-production bike. I think that they would have generated more orders if they had gone that route. Lots of people complained to the Reps about this, the Reps stated Victory did not want anyone riding them until the press release. Sorry but that is not a very good way to market a new bike line in a slow economy, they should have pulled out all the stops....
WyoHammer
Posted 2010-05-18 9:10 AM (#60081 - in reply to #47634)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Howdy All

Victory has a pleasant problem. The new CC and XC are very popular.

Vic had five bikes in design at the same time and the first out is was the Vision. you know the next two CC & XC.

Vic is suffering from the perfect storm right now. Customs as in choppers, lo-pro and the like with the phat tires are falling out of favor. People are wanting riders bikes and the new popular kid on the Block are Baggers. and Victory has two new machines in this market, that just happen to be real riders bikes.

Victory just has to make more of the bikes, but they are cautious, Victory has a back log of out of model year bikes in dealerships all across the country. Look at the deals they are making on 2008 and 2009 model year bikes.

Victory to it seems has decided to put new bikes in buyers and riders hands as opposed to placing bikes into aftermarket part manufactures hands to create more AM parts available. As riders what way do you want it. I can ride a stock bike and love it and want more goodies and have to wait, but I am still riding. so I think Victory has made the correct choice in putting bikes in new owners and riders hands. Ultimately these new owners will show the bikes and sell more for Victory. We all want the bike bling but not all the same bike bling so it takes time.

I went on a ride and met up with a Victory regional rep on a 2010 Vision premium dark blue and sandstone that was really very beautiful bike. He told me he only can ride it for a couple of months and then it goes into one of the dealers inventories to be sold. Victory is rotating bikes through their executive plans quickly just to get bikes into the market so they are doing what they can and not over produce also.

Victory's first goal is 10% market share, it sounds to me like when they hit this things will change up some and other things may happen. 95% customer satisfaction is no small thing, I would rather Victory work to keep that number. That means I am a happy customer, happy customers sell bikes with their happiness. Victory also limits dealers to MSRP so there is no major price gouging, remember HD waiting list and ridiculous prices. Building Victories is keeping Americans working and making money right here in the USA, this really is ALL GOOD.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™