You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

What are your questions?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-15 1:57 PM (#47735)
Subject: What are your questions?

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
My wife was lucky enough to get one of the first Cross Roads made so I have had the opportunity to touch, feel, and of course ride the bike. We purchased a ton of accessories so I know a little about them too. With that said I know that a lot of people are interested in the new X bikes but don't know much about them. So ask away.........I'm here to help. The bike is about 40 feet away from my shop computer so I can look, measure, and even take a picture to answer your questions.

(015.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 015.JPG (34KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-18 5:59 PM (#47973 - in reply to #47735)
Subject: Re: What are your questions?

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Wow.....no questions. I thought there were more people out there interested in the X bikes.
ltbiker
Posted 2009-11-19 2:16 AM (#48001 - in reply to #47735)
Subject: RE: What are your questions?

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Big Vic,
I'll throw some your way. Coming from a long-time HD rider who is seriously considering moving a Vic into the garage alongside the HD.
1) Any update yet on the saddlebag lid contacting the seat (think that was the observation, right?). Enough to rub paint off if not protected? I had read post on another site that it was lid hitting the bag itself when open - that an issue, or had that poster just misunderstood the problem?
2) Do you know how much higher the XC "tall" replacement windshield is than the stock shorty? That stocker looks cool but doesn't provide much protection. Wondering if I would still see over the top of the taller version.
3) Victory advertises adjustable bars on the XC - what is the adjustment? Just rotating the bars forward/up or back/down in clamps, or is there more to it than that. I test-rode one last Saturday, and bars as set weren't bad, but my arms were almost in locked position.
4) You heard anything yet about aftermarket pipes for the Cross bikes? Ness maybe?
5) Probably too cool this time of year, but wondering if excessive heat off rear cylinder header pipe is an issue, as it is with the stock HD's?
6) Any other "glitches" reared a head yet? I'm always a bit leery of early purchase of a new model.

Thanks for the help and info.

dddd
Posted 2009-11-20 2:38 AM (#48091 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

Vic I have a couple of questions
1 I am curious as to how restrictive this new air box design is , and where it actually draws air from , are their any noise restriction plates that can be easily removed.
As the air filter is under the tank I'm assuming access to it would be made fairly easy probably like a lot of sports bikes were the tank hinges from the back.(Vic I have no idea how adventurous you are with tools so I'll understand if you pass on the above question but if OK please dont forget to take lots of photo's)
2 Could you give me an accurate dimension on the overall width of the rear bags(just curious about how much wider they are over the HD set up)
Thanks

Edited by dddd 2009-11-20 2:41 AM
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-20 8:20 AM (#48103 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
ltbiker
1. Saddlebag lid. The front inside of the lid just barley touches the seat in the closed position. I would say maybe a 1/2" or so and it is the very bottom of the lid. I doubt this will ever cause a problem and if it does you won't be able to see it unless the lid is in the open position.

2. Tall Windshield - Not sure about the XC windshield. I did sit on one at the factory that had a tall windshield but I never paid much attention to it. My wife sat on the same bike and said it was too tall for her (she is 5'8" You sit fairly low in these bikes so if you are of average height you might be surprised how tall it may appear from the seat.

3. Adjustable Bars - Not positive on XC but the XR bars only adjust up or down by loosening the clamps as you stated. There is no forward or backward adjustment and no pull backs are offered yet. Measuring from the center of the pocket to the inside of the grips the XR has a 2" further reach than my Vision or my wife's old Kingpin.

4. Not heard or seen a word on pipes from anyone other than Victory yet. I have a set of Victory pipes ordered but they are not in yet. When they get installed I can give you my impression of what they sound like. My guess is they will be a lot like the Vision Stage 1 pipes.

5. It is cooler but I have ridden the XR back to back with my Vision on a 78 deg day. I can feel heat on my Vision but not the XR. A year ago I checked my wife's 92" and my 106" with a heat gun and found the temps to be very close to each other. I'm confident in saying there will be NO heat issues with the XR and I doubt very much that the XC will have one either.

6. No glitches in the first 400+ miles. I feel very confident that this bike was well thought out and tested. If you look at the new bikes many pieces are common with the Vision or use the same thought process. The motor, tranny, rear suspension, and many of the electronics carry over. Once again I feel 100% confident that the XR is one solid bike.

dddd
1. Airbox - I don't know squat about the airbox. I have seen a few pictures so I know there are some out there that you could look at. I think they had one on display at the AVR but I missed it this year. Maybe someone on Vision Riders has more info on this??? I am fairly handy with tools but have no desire to take the tank off for a picture (sorry) If I scratched my wife's baby taking a picture of an airbox it would be the last box I got to play with for a while. If I'm at the dealer when they install the pipes and filter I will check it out and snap some pictures.

2. Rear Bags - The bags measure 8" wide in the rear, 8 1/2" wide in the center, and 8" wide in the front. They are 24" long (at their longest point) and 14" tall (in the center at the highest point) all of these are INSIDE measurements. With all the angles and curves getting an outside measurement would be very difficult. These bags are HUGE and quite a bit bigger than those found on HD Ultras and Road Kings. The bags have 100% usable space without any funny or odd angles like the Vision. They are very solid with a great hinge and lock. The are much easier to open than the HD bag and can be done while sitting on the bike. Last week I put my helmet in the right bag while sitting at a stop light. The quick detach clips work like they should and bag removal / install is super easy. Word of caution........If you like to ride your bike without bags than this bike is NOT for you. The brackets behind the bag are not super sexy and your pipes will be exposed. The bags sit on a bracket that mounts to your pipes. There is NO heatshield in this area and it is not attractive without the bag in place. Victory even went so far to put a label on the bag bracket that says it's unsafe to ride the bike without saddlebags. I doubt that it's unsafe but it sure would be unsightly. I will post pictures later.
dddd
Posted 2009-11-20 2:33 PM (#48144 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks Vic , totally understand about scratching your wife's bike (and having to miss out on the other ) with the dimension I was after it was a total from the very outside of 1 bag to the very outside of the other (total width of bike)I'm expecting it to be a bit under 3 foot or so.
Do you find much difference in power and acceleration between the XR and the vision
Also did your XR come with a black fuel cap , How ridiculous is that.

Edited by dddd 2009-11-20 2:36 PM
BATMAN
Posted 2009-11-21 4:43 AM (#48178 - in reply to #47735)

Cruiser

MN.
Gotta admit, the black gas cap surprises me. Although I had my cap on my '02 TCD powder coated black to cut back on the windshield glare.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-21 6:08 AM (#48180 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
dddd - The outside of bag to outside of bag dimension is about 35" taken at the widest point which is the center of the bag. If you didn't count the hinges on the lids it would be about 33 1/2" . I say "about" because it's hard to measure accurately, I used a straight edge on 1 side then eyeballed the other.

As far as power goes it's hard to say right now. The XR still has stock pipes, air filter, fuel map, and is not fully broke in yet. I'm sure when those change it will run every bit as hard as my Vision and have less weight to carry around. First gear definitely seems taller and she feels quick just the way she is.

Yes it did have a black gas cap which some like but not me. Changed it out to #2875305 Chrome Fuel Cap $129.99 which looks much better. You need to flip flop lock sets with the stock cap if you don't want to carry another key to open the gas tank.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-21 7:19 AM (#48186 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Here are some pictures of the bag rubbing the seat, mark left on the seat, inside of bag, bike without bag, and bottom of the saddle bag so you can see how it mounts.

(Saddle Bag lid.JPG)

(Saddle Bag mark.JPG)

(Saddle Bag inside.JPG)

(Saddle Bag off.JPG)

(Saddle Bag btm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Saddle Bag lid.JPG (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Saddle Bag mark.JPG (24KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Saddle Bag inside.JPG (27KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Saddle Bag off.JPG (30KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Saddle Bag btm.JPG (36KB - 1 downloads)
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-21 7:42 AM (#48188 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
ltbiker
More info on the windshield. The XC has three available. The stock one, the Blade (looks completely worthless) and the Tall Windshield which is what you were interested in. It is #2877655 and is $349.99. It is +5" over stock (which seems like a lot to me) and comes with chrome straps that mount to the front of the windshield. The CR also have three available. The stock one, one that is +3" (#2877758 list $599.99) and one that is -3" (#2877757 list $549.99) Hope this helps.
ltbiker
Posted 2009-11-22 4:12 AM (#48222 - in reply to #47735)

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Big Vic,
Thanks for all the info...........appreciate it!
dddd
Posted 2009-11-22 3:34 PM (#48240 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

I must thank you as well Vic . There will be many other questions I'm sure
6.6flylow
Posted 2009-11-22 8:31 PM (#48271 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

5 miles from nowhere
Is there a trunk available for them?
elvis441
Posted 2009-11-23 7:32 AM (#48281 - in reply to #48271)

Cruiser

Houston, TX
6.6flylow - 2009-11-22 7:31 PM

Is there a trunk available for them?

I have asked this question at several dealers and have received the same response at all of them. They expect a trunk to be available for 2011.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-23 5:58 PM (#48321 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I think there are hard lowers (similar to HD Ultra) in the works for the X Country. I would be very suprised if there was not a trunk offered as well in 2011.
dddd
Posted 2009-11-23 6:33 PM (#48323 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

Vic where is the valve for adjusting the rear suspension
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-24 6:42 PM (#48387 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Behind the right (as you sit on the bike) side cover. The side covers are held in place with 3 prongs and remove without using any tools.
bresna
Posted 2009-11-25 5:35 AM (#48412 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

Big Vic - It looks like you got the Big Mouth exhaust tips. Did you get them with the bike or did you add them? I like the looks, but I don't want the exhaust any louder. Do these Big Mouth tips change the sound?

Could you take a picture of the shifter area, particularly the mounting point? When I test rode a XC, the shifter was too far forward, especially for a "toe only" shifter. I want to see how far back the shift lever can go. I may even be looking for brackets to move the floorboards back 2".

Kevin
dddd
Posted 2009-11-25 3:51 PM (#48439 - in reply to #47735)

Puddle Jumper

Vic after riding the bike for a while could you check the temp of the floor of the right hand side bag , I have read it gets stupidly hot
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-25 6:40 PM (#48446 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
bresna - I put the Big Mouth tips on after the bike had about 300 miles on it. They do not change the sound at all. There are 3 hole locations spaced 1" apart for a total of 2" of adjustability. The wife's Cross Roads came with the shifter in the center hole, from there it can move back 1". I will try to post a picture in the next day or two.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-25 6:46 PM (#48447 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
dddd - It might be a while before I can answer the heat issue for sure...........it is supposed to snow here tonight. With that said I don't know of any heat issue in the saddlebags. The wife has ridden over 500 miles on the bike and has never mentioned this. Being a typical woman she has to get in her bags for "something" every time we stop. Since the bags are only 1/4 full I think she would have noticed this if it was an issue.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-28 8:45 AM (#48656 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Pictures of the shifter in the rear posistion.

(Cross Road stock wheels & pulley 001.JPG)

(Cross Road stock wheels & pulley 002.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cross Road stock wheels & pulley 001.JPG (36KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Cross Road stock wheels & pulley 002.JPG (34KB - 1 downloads)
King Bagger
Posted 2009-11-28 9:43 PM (#48718 - in reply to #48656)

Puddle Jumper

Big Sky
Big Vic. I build center stands for Victory's and would like to know if the exhaust is the same on the XC as the vision. I currently have a center stand for the Vision and hope to try it on he XC soon. Thanks. KB.
Big Vic
Posted 2009-11-29 8:44 AM (#48732 - in reply to #47735)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
King Bagger - The exhaust looks basically the same including the cross-over however there are a few differences. The heat shields are wider on the XR to allow for the saddle bag cut out (see above pictures) Both bikes have a exhaust support bracket the comes off the right rear of the motor. The X Roads passenger peg bracket also mounts to this point making it protrude from the motor an additional inch or so that could effect your center stand design. Not sure as I don't know what your center stand looks like. I assume the XR and XC are the same..........not 100% sure but and can't believe that they would have made 2 exhaust systems for basically the same bike. If you need a proto bike I would be willing to test it for you.
King Bagger
Posted 2009-11-29 10:09 AM (#48738 - in reply to #48732)

Puddle Jumper

Big Sky
Thanks Big Vic. I mite take you up on that test offer. Can you post a photo of the front part of the left muffler looking down with the bags off. Thanks. Neal.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™