You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cross Country Tall Windshield
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

ltbiker
Posted 2009-11-28 3:14 AM (#48647)
Subject: Cross Country Tall Windshield

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Anyone ridden a XC with the taller shield? If so, please post comments with your impressions. I think I'm REAL close to putting a deposit down on a XC, and wondering about ordering the taller shield or maybe waiting for aftermarket to offer one. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mjw930
Posted 2009-11-28 8:34 PM (#48714 - in reply to #48647)
Subject: Re: Cross Country Tall Windshield

Puddle Jumper

I know 2 people who have the tall shield and both love it. I'll have my bike by the end of the week and I also ordered the tall shield. I'll post a review of the stock shield, Stock shield with Lowers, Tall shield with lowers and tall shield alone so people will have a point of reference.
chahn1
Posted 2009-12-09 12:52 PM (#49433 - in reply to #48714)

Puddle Jumper

Glendale, AZ.

I put the tall windsheild on my cross country a week ago. I'm 5' 10 and the top of the windsheild is right in your line of sight. it needs to be 2" taller or 2" lower for me. It does keep the wind off you. But there are other companies making replacement windsheilds for the cross country. I would imagine they will not be as expensive.  ceebaileys.com is one.

mjw930
Posted 2009-12-13 12:23 PM (#49626 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

Interesting, I'm 5'9" and the tall shield is well above my line of sight. In fact, it would have to be almost 3" lower for me to be able to look over it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. BTW, no one has an aftermarket shield publicly available yet. I heard CeeBailey was working on one but it hasn't hit the market yet.
Posted 2009-12-16 11:57 AM (#49779 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

Hey guys,
I test rode one not too long ago (stock windshield).
The wind was annoying. Buffeting/turbulence...

I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam.

Actually- immediately afterwards, I rode a Vision.
Zero turbulence/buffeting.

My assumption;
the wind that comes from BELOW the CC's fairing
and around the sides of the forks rushes past
then meets the low pressure air pocket
provided by the fairing (which would only be from
just below the level of the headlight up to the top of
the windscreen, vertically speaking).

The Vision, with its all-encompassing fairing,
really does a great job with wind management (in my opinion).

A couple of questions?

What have you new owners been experiencing??

Have you tried adding the lower fork deflectors?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/discussion/input....

(again... talking about the Cross Country, not the 'Roads'

Edited by 98940 2009-12-16 12:04 PM
Captain
Posted 2009-12-16 1:23 PM (#49783 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

Mine is coming in with the stock (mid-height) shield. I also would be interested to see if lowers or a taller shield is in my future.
Captain
Posted 2009-12-24 7:12 AM (#50155 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

I posted this under the other CC thread also but it may be more related to this thread. This is an excerpt from the recent Motorcycle Cruiser article:

"The biggest difference is the buffeting at highway speeds. Despite a claim that the Cross Country's fairing was wind-tunnel tested, it felt like the fairing-equipped bike had it worse than the windshield-wearing Cross Roads (though Victory has since told us that the shields will be updated on production Country models)."
elvis441
Posted 2009-12-24 11:49 AM (#50162 - in reply to #48647)

Cruiser

Houston, TX
I rode an XC on monday. When I'm ready to buy I will definitely be getting a taller windshield.
ltbiker
Posted 2009-12-27 2:36 AM (#50260 - in reply to #48647)
Subject: RE: Cross Country Tall Windshield

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Any updates from new owners? Specifically, how it rides/works with the taller windshield and the lowers mounted. I'm sitting squarely on the fence between a XC and a Vision 8-Ball.
Thanks.
mjw930
Posted 2009-12-27 7:35 PM (#50300 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

The tall shield works very well, if you are the type that likes to look through the shield. The stock shield lets a fair amount of wind get to the top of your head so you get movement when you are in dirty air such as on the highway around other vehicles.

Lowers don't do much to help the buffeting, they just reduce the amount of air hitting your legs. The buffeting people are getting is not from air coming up from below as it is with most full windshield bikes. The vent in the front of the CC does it's job well to keep the air flowing over the shield without sucking up air from below.

I spent some time last week at Gustafsson Plastics with Mr. Gustafsson going over some ideas for a custom shield, something between the tall and the mid. He had a shield from another CC owner but seeing the bike he was able to make some observations. One was it was one of the best implementations of managed airflow he's seen in a while. The dash lip behind the front vent is there to direct and accelerate the air up the back of the shield, something most others who cut a vent in the shield don't accomplish. He's making a coulpe shields, one with a "flip" on the top just to see. Once he has some prototypes I'll go back up and spend the day testing them.

Overall the airflow on the CC is better than any other "batwing" or fork mounted fairing bike I've ridden. It's not the vision but it wasn't intended to be. The idea is to provide more of an open, in the wind experience than you get with the classic touring bike and I think they have hit a home run.

Edited by mjw930 2009-12-27 7:36 PM
ltbiker
Posted 2009-12-28 3:37 AM (#50313 - in reply to #48647)
Subject: RE: Cross Country Tall Windshield

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
MJW - That's some good info from you.........thanks. Good to know someone is already working on offering some different choices.
daryle105
Posted 2010-02-20 9:12 PM (#53630 - in reply to #48647)

Puddle Jumper

okc.
I"m 5' 10" the tall shield works very well,but i do have to look through it. Seemms there is a lot of wind comeing up from under the fairing.
epf
Posted 2010-03-09 2:13 AM (#54693 - in reply to #48647)

New user

I'm 6'1" and I look just barely over the top of the tall windshield. It comes right to the bridge of my nose -- the same place the windshield hit on my GoldWing. So far I've found that the wind that does hit my head is relatively mild, even in places where there are lots of trucks traveling at 60-70 mph. As long as one doesn't have lowers there will always be wind that comes in underneath. The shape of the lower portion of the batwing faring does help to channel the wind away from the center of the bike, but that brings it right into the burble that happens at the edges of things moving through the air. The result is some air moving back toward the rider. Not an irritating amount, but enough to be noticed.
Bikendad
Posted 2010-04-29 9:10 PM (#58732 - in reply to #48647)

New user

I've had the tall w/shield since I picked up the bike 1300 miles ago, never ridden with the stock shield. I'm 6'1" and a bit tall in the body. I easily look over the tall shield by a few inches and it works very well for me. There is some buffeting at expressway speeds, especially at and around 70 mph. Slower or faster and it's much better, some days it's worse than others depending on the wind conditions. Kewlmetal is working on some lowers that reportedly cure the buffeting on this bike, time will tell.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™