You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tape for lower wind deflectors
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-07-04 6:59 AM (#90150 - in reply to #59220)
Subject: Re: Tape for lower wind deflectors

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
It's even got the maple leaf - genuine canuk to make sure the flag is flying in a tech picture.... don, I had to say huh? about the toes, but then I went "ugh!"

Now I can rest at night knowing your lowers won't fly off and hit me in the head when I ride with you!

PS: do they sell "weed-b-gone" in canada?"

Edited by Cap'n Nemo 2011-07-04 7:00 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SongFan
Posted 2011-07-04 8:46 AM (#90153 - in reply to #59220)
Subject: RE: Tape for lower wind deflectors

Visionary

Memphis

Grey 3M with 3m adhesive promoter.  My lowers are set to "feather" at 85 mph (no clue what the torque value is).  They have held on up to 125.  I think the intense desert heat might make the tape/glue soft and weaken the bond.

Nice bolt job Don!

adirondacks
Posted 2011-07-08 10:43 PM (#90488 - in reply to #90139)

Tourer

Troy, NY
donetracey - 2011-07-03 9:52 PM

You notice my TOES ????

Yeah, nice sandals - LOL!
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2011-11-27 11:11 AM (#102287 - in reply to #59220)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Fortunately I had good luck with the stock tape that comes from the factory on the lowers. I followed the instructions exactly as they were written...cleaned the surface and let cure for 24hrs. At 3yrs and 30k miles they still appear to be adhered good. Hopefully I will be saying the same at 5yrs.
Chef John
Posted 2011-11-27 1:19 PM (#102295 - in reply to #59220)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
This question goes to John Frey about cutting the body panels: Did you do anything to the exposed metal once it was cut before putting it back on the bike? and Did you cut both sides so they are even looking? and How long did it take to take the bike apart/put back together again? Thanks for the info
Cherry Devil
Posted 2014-02-02 2:31 PM (#150973 - in reply to #59220)
Subject: RE: Tape for lower wind deflectors

New user

Here I go - Nearest I can tell the original tape is 3M 4941.

My first set stayed on for 5 years. I was riding it like i stole it and when the tip-over protection was grinding the pavement, the vibration proved to much for the downward side. Teach me to drive like that.

Any way they have been the stuff so they are going back on.

I'm additionally going to try 3M 06396 Adhesion Promote during installation. And make sure i let it sit for 24 hrs before adjusting or riding.

Oh and some CYCLEOPS Black powder-coated Aluminum lowers.
varyder
Posted 2014-02-02 3:20 PM (#150976 - in reply to #59220)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Cherry, bolt the suckers on. I predicted 5 years or more back that the tape would last about 5 years. Look for the old post. I don't want a blade flying into my face if I'm riding behind you.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-02-03 7:51 PM (#151006 - in reply to #59220)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
The tape to use is 3M VHB. Its what GoPro uses for their mounts. I've used it for a number of applications including my metal lower deflectors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vhb+tape&oq=vhb&aqs=chrome.1.69i...
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2014-02-03 9:01 PM (#151007 - in reply to #87997)

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
johnnyvision - 2011-06-05 11:10 AM

I cut my aluminum panel with my jig saw and am very comfortable now. Wasn't that hard to get the panel off and do. Trick is use a fine tooth blade. Lowers just don't appeal to me.

I love this idea JohnnyVision! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Lowers are just not my thing....
RedRider
Posted 2014-02-04 4:27 AM (#151013 - in reply to #59220)

Visionary

63,000+ miles and no problem with lowers. She is an '09.

This thread reminded me of a show I watched. It was about adhesive. Most of us recognize that big glass building in Dubai. Do you know how all those glass panels are held on? 3M Industrial grade adhesive tape. The tape flexes with the change of temps in the desert conditions.

Also remember that most of your trim and badges are held on with double back tape on bikes, cars and trucks. How often do they fall off?

Me thinks in most cases the installer did not follow directions in proper prep of surfaces.
varyder
Posted 2014-02-04 11:30 AM (#151022 - in reply to #59220)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Good trivia, bad application. Your lowers on the bike is not a badge or trim, it's a wing. It has constant battering by the wind, in or out, and the adhesive is exposed to the elements around the edge. I would agree, some may never fall off, but I think the exception would be the lack of element exposure and extreme tempature levels or change. That doesn't fit most category of people, but it would apply to some. I'm just waiting for more to report that theirs too have blown away. Again, let me ride in front of you if your lowers are merely "taped" on.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-02-04 1:43 PM (#151025 - in reply to #151022)

Iron Butt

I have mine bolted on but watch some of the videos on this page and you could almost become a believer.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/...

Marc
zippyzach
Posted 2016-06-29 11:18 AM (#185070 - in reply to #59220)

New user

Springfield, MA
I had lowers installed by my dealer early this spring, already pulling away. The tape is stretched considerably. In the tape's defense, I do ride almost daily at highway speeds and my poor bike stays outside

I think I'm going to prep, prime, tape, and then bolt them on. If that feels inadequate, I'll silicon the outside edges :D
jimtom
Posted 2016-06-30 5:36 AM (#185081 - in reply to #185070)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
We have the same riding habits and parking garage (outside) . I bolted mine about 2 years ago.
varyder
Posted 2016-06-30 11:11 AM (#185089 - in reply to #59220)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
ZZ, I've never had the lowers and even took my uppers off. but if you see from my post above, and on page 1 a comment from me is that I have always recommending to BOLT THE LOWERS ON. There's a few guys that will tell the tape is sufficient, which I agree, under the ideal circumstances. So even try to prove their point by saying that some airplanes are glued together. But I would say, not by a square inch of material. Sorry, I just had to rant about this again. enjoy.
biermark
Posted 2016-08-01 11:52 AM (#187938 - in reply to #59220)

Puddle Jumper

South Carolina
When I put mine on I tapped the large center hole so the bolt goes in from the backside. I marked the hole on the mounting template and used it to drill the holes. I still used the adhesive to hold them in place while i put the bolts in. Blue loctite with a star lockwasher. I didn't have problems geting my hands into the back.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™