You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

CROSS COUNTRY TRANSMISSION NOISE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads Tech Q&AMessage format

Steve R
Posted 2010-07-13 9:42 PM (#64492)
Subject: CROSS COUNTRY TRANSMISSION NOISE

New user

THE TRANS NOISE FROM FIRST TO FORTH IS LOUDER THAN MY STAGE ONE MUFFLER KIT. ANY IDEAS HOW TO CURE THE NOISE PROBLEM. DOES THE FAIRING ACCENTUATE THE WINEING NOISE ? thanks for your input. STEVE R
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Roadrocket
Posted 2010-07-14 7:32 AM (#64500 - in reply to #64492)
Subject: RE: CROSS COUNTRY TRANSMISSION NOISE

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.

Really sucks doesn't it! Victory either doesn't care that it's a big bone of contention with their customers or they just don't give a crap. . It will slowly get more bearable as the miles add up but it definitely remains a blemish on the riding experience after the 6k I have on mine.

RR

Captain
Posted 2010-07-16 9:14 AM (#64660 - in reply to #64492)
Subject: Re: CROSS COUNTRY TRANSMISSION NOISE

Puddle Jumper

But 5th gear is nice...
Big Vic
Posted 2010-07-17 7:37 AM (#64707 - in reply to #64492)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Yes gears mashing/moving together make noise and some make more than others Victory being one of them. But the tranny is rock solid and reliable and shifts pretty good. Turn up the radio, get louder pipes, or just sing yourself a happy tune. It ain't that bad guys.
Big Vic
Posted 2010-07-17 7:40 AM (#64708 - in reply to #64492)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
And to make it quieter...............try a quality 20/50 fully synthetic oil. It does seem to make things a little quieter.

Edited by Big Vic 2010-07-17 7:42 AM
Pastor1720
Posted 2010-07-22 12:20 PM (#65067 - in reply to #64492)

New user

Cross Roads has the same noise issue. Never heard such from my Vegas????
ploz58 XC
Posted 2011-07-03 6:27 AM (#90100 - in reply to #64492)

Puddle Jumper

there is an issue with the 2011 "new improved gear box", as well as being noisey also my 11 has a vibration coming through the bars at idle, surely this must be placing stress through the engine. I dont think this is good enough.
has anyone else experienced this? i owned a vision for two years and it never behaved like this.
regards
Phil
Teach
Posted 2011-07-08 2:52 PM (#90457 - in reply to #64492)

Visionary

ploz58, can you explain this vibration through the bars you think is the tranny? I've noticed you get a lot more engine vibe from the CC bars than say a HD or metric, but I assumed the vibration is due to the engine being part of the bikes frame.
ploz58 XC
Posted 2011-07-14 5:40 AM (#90831 - in reply to #64492)

Puddle Jumper

hi teach, i owned a vision with the same frame, and there were no vibrations, im awaiting some feedback my engine has been pulled down. the engine has been checked for all dimensions etc, I have faith in the people looking into the problem, but have to wait for a defininitive diagnosis.
jama
Posted 2011-09-15 7:18 PM (#96731 - in reply to #64492)

Cruiser

Arkansas
I have a noticeable vibration in my CC too. Not a deal breaker, but certainly more of a presence that ever noticed on my '08 Vision. I surmised that it must be due to different harmonics in the frame just because of the differences in body work and mounting points ( the vibes just don't get damped as much as on the Vision) No research, just my guess.
ltbiker
Posted 2011-09-21 2:18 AM (#97243 - in reply to #64492)

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Yours a 2010 or 2011? I don't notice any whine on my '11. But, I still think the "100K" transmission needs some work; not overly happy with downshifting in lower gears. Sorry - heresy I know, but not as good as HD's.
DAL
Posted 2011-10-24 4:03 PM (#99789 - in reply to #64492)

Cruiser

Vancouver, B.C. & La Quinta, CA
No excessive noise from the tranny, easy shifting and a barrel of laughs!!!
Victory1
Posted 2011-10-24 5:39 PM (#99795 - in reply to #64492)

Puddle Jumper

I Traded my 08 Vision on a 2011 CC, It has been turned into a Cross Country Tour. Very disappointed with the noise and the ticking. Hope I didn't make a big mistake my Vision was awesome and cammed. This bike is head turner mainly when I shift gears (clunck).
bucfan1313
Posted 2012-05-12 5:49 PM (#114078 - in reply to #64492)

New user

I have a 2011 CC that had similar noises and the dealer install a torque compensator (under warranty and a factory suggestion) from a 2012 CC and the noise is about 60 percent better. These bikes just seem to have little ticks that you just have to get used to.
WITCHDR
Posted 2012-07-21 9:25 PM (#119878 - in reply to #64492)

New user

New to this site and new CC owner hello everyone.
I bought my first Victory a 11 CC one month ago demo bike 200 miles don't care for the engine ticking I can live with transmission clunk I think transmission is that way cause of gear to gear,But the engine tick drives me nuts I definately turn up the radio, almost sounds like rocker arms clattering.
robsxct
Posted 2012-08-11 10:02 PM (#121356 - in reply to #64492)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS
I just purchased a 2013 XCT

I put the purchase off for 2 years because I couldnt believe how NASTY this motor and tranny is (noise and harshness) I left the test ride thinking this is what they are bragging about. I MUST be missing something. Is everyone brain washed????

My old C90 (90ci) with 91,000 kms was very quite. Shifted in almost silence. I didnt notice any power gains with the CC over the C90. In fact the C90 in 5th runs the same RPM at 70mph as the CC, but seems much more powerfull running low in the RPM (below 2500) range. The C90 pulled like crazy down low but didnt like to be reved, it seemed flat and a wast of time to wind it up. The CC liked to be wound out - it seemed to pull harder the higher the revs.....

So I figured Harley would be the way to go. I love the sound of the Harleys. So I dropped into the local Harley (palace) and talked to the sales guy. Told him I wanted a Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited. They had 2 on the floor at a cost of 4k more than the CCT. I told the guy I had to be able to do the maint on the bike my self, I wasnt bringing the bike back in here for simple oil changes so how would that effect my warrenty ????? HE said it comes with a 2 year warrenty and you need to bring it in or you (might) be denied warrenty claims.... Well that ended me buying a new Harley......

So I went back to looking on the internet for any major issues that would tell me NOT to buy a Victory...
Two years go by and I didnt find any complaints about the Victory bikes.... (Not counting clunky trannys)
I was very inpressed with the Utube Vids Harley vs Victory a 5 segment run of vids.
So back to the Victory dealer I go. The sales guy says take my CCT out for a ride. They have the new lowers and taller wind shield- off I go.......

During the ride I am thinking can I live with this CLUNKY TRANNY and whats with that top end click and clatter - sounds like the valves need to be adjusted BADLY. Or is it a sloppy cam chains hmm.....
I brought the bike back and was very inpressed with the handling, the new big shield was great.

Walked around the showroom and found a 2013 all black CCT - Asked if they would throw in some accessories and give me something for my C90 .....
The sales guy said yes -

So after 3000 kms here is my thoughts.....

The TOP END clicks and clatter DRIVES ME CRAZY It sounds like there is way to much gap between the valve and rocker arm. If this is caused by the roller rockes then pls give me new rocker ars with out the roller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its so loud I cant even mask it with the radio..

The tranny goes into first with such a CLUNK that it has bounced back to nutreal 3 times OUCH it hurts to put this bike in gear. On my old bike I would shift to nutreal at stop lights ect... Not the CCT I leave it in gear. People look over at you like you dont know how to ride a bike when they hear the CLUNK............

The tranny shifts perfecty and quietly into 4th 5th and 6th - up and down - 1st 2nd and 3rd are Clunky loud. And I think this has to do with the ratios between these gears. 4,5,6 seem to be close ratio and dont clunk.....

Now here is what I think is wrong....
When you are in stop and go traffic - you are shifting A LOT 1st 2nd and 3rd should have been close ratio gears and then the top 3 gears should have been wide ratio gears. That way the top 3 would clunk and the bottom 3 (The gears your in and out of in traffic) would be nice and quite......

To sum it up this COULD BE a great bike but the motor and tranny realy take away from what should be a great bike.
If I could roll back time my new ride would NOT be a Victory. Its a nice bike but with that motor / tranny its price is WAY to HIGH....

I want to see Victory kick every one elses ass big time..
I want to buy American - We must build and buy our own products - NOT imports. Or no one here will be working !!!!!!!

BUT I think they need new blood in the motor / tranny dev - this is not good for a tranny that was just re-worked......

Rob
Big Vic
Posted 2012-08-12 7:42 AM (#121381 - in reply to #64492)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I agree that the 1st gear "clunk" is quite loud............but have you ever listened to a Harley? I'm not saying they are all as bad as my CCT but most are. I have heard bikes from most manufacturers make a noticable "Clunk" some better and some worse so that has never bothered me.
Now for the ticking in the motor..........that drives me nuts when I focus on it. I always wonder if the lifters are getting the oil they need to be quiet. After a few miles I usually get interested in something else and the sound just seems to fade away and I forget about it. I agree the bike isn't perfect but I don't know of one that is or I would own it. All in all I'm very happy with my CCT!
robsxct
Posted 2012-08-12 11:56 AM (#121396 - in reply to #121381)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS
Yes I have listened to the Harleys and they are loud also. The clunk going from nutreal to 1st is caused by all the gears turning in the tranny while the bike is in nutreal and when the clutch is pulled in there is not enough drag to let the clutch plates slip. Then when the gear dogs engage the gears in the tranny come to a complete stop and the plates in the clutch slip - the clunk is the gears turning then comming to a dead stop as 1st is angaged.

This is probly no worse than any other tranny - it seems the Vic tranny is spinning some heavy gears and to get them to stop (FAST) means a BIG CLUNK. I also think the shape of the tranny acts as a big box and causes the sound to be amplified through the bike.

Keep in mind the Harleys dont clunk in any other gear !!!!

Vic needs to change the wide ratio in the gears to get rid of the clunk.. A rookie mistake....

I wonder if a thinner oil say a 5w40 would let the clutch plate break free better when the clutch is disengaged...

Then again - when my bike is cold and started therte is no clunk going into 1st.... I believe this is because the thick oil is dragging on the gears so when the clutch is pulled in or dissengaged they slow down and you dont get the big clunk stopping the gears. Hmmm

Rob
Creek IP
Posted 2012-08-17 8:19 PM (#121708 - in reply to #64492)

New user

I find these discussions kind of funny. Yeah, I get the clunk when going into first on my 2012 XC. The rest of the shifting is really pretty quiet. I usually shift @ 2500 rpm at @ the speeds the book suggests and it's pretty smooth and quiet. The engine noise is no worse than the Ultra Classics I've ridden. It seems to me, on any bike with a full fairing, engine noise will be amplified in the cockpit area. My C-50 was quiet until I put a windshield on it and then I heard all that solid lifter noise from it.

I think all the guys who know what Vic should do to fix this huge problem should start a Motorcycle Co. and do it right. Then everyone could be happy.

Edited by Creek IP 2012-08-17 8:21 PM
robsxct
Posted 2012-08-17 10:36 PM (#121715 - in reply to #121708)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS

For me the complaints stem from such a high price for a MC. I have purchased many many new bikes but never one priced this high. So I guess I am looking for my moneys worth or lack there of.....

I had a chance to ride my friends Ducati 900 - wow NOT FOR ME..Yeah yeah lots of power but to many nasty sounds. How the hell can anyone put up with all that clutch racket (Dry Clutch)

I had a Gold Wing out and there is NO nasty sounds from the motor or tranny even though your tucked in behind that big fairing - The bike is just to damn BIG...... And the motor has no character.

In 2006 I purchased a new C50 - Had it for 1 year the valve tick from that motor drove me crazzy. The motors RPM was to high for a V-twin on the hwy It had to go... Tradded it on a new 07 C90 put on a full ElectraGlide Fairing and lowers. It had hydroulic lifters and for the most part made NO NOISE - sometimes they would make a light click on a cold start but would go away once the oil warmed up.

I think a V-twin should have its max torque as low as possible in the RPM range. Winding up a V-twin shouldnt be nessesary to make a fast pass ect.. I like to listen to the exhaust and the motor while riding as long as it all makes light quiet noises that are cool to listen to. Its like a mechanical Symphony ................

And to give a product, any product a sense of (quality) A car, truck or motorcycle it needs to handle well. the motor needs to run quietly, shift smooth and quiet. These things give an (impression) of good quality workmanship with tight tolerances and well designed and thought out as a complete unit.

I do understand and have read all the articles that suggest Harley needs to change because there has been over the years less and less customers that want the old style motor and frame layout that Harley has stuck with for many many years. Todays biker (they say) is looking for a bike with a hot rod V-twin and futuristic styling. Victory has hit a home run in this department. I guess I would like a little of both worlds. I think it would be cool to have a Harley motor in a CCT frame. The Harley motor is beautiful jewel and sounds fantastic... Yes it has a number of week spots but that could be addressed....

So for me and future customers of Victory - I would like to see them smooth out some rough edges on the bike. Find a way to quiet the trannys echo off cars and buildings CLUNK...... Tighten the tolerence on the roller rockers or spray more oil on them to dampen the racket they make. The top end noise is VERY annoying. It reminds me of a motor that is starving for oil. Or drop the idea of roller rockers and stick with old style rocker arms without the roller. The only plus side of roller rockers is a TINY decrease in drag and wear. And on a twin cyl engine the HP gains would be so small and not worth the noise.....

Dont get me wrong I love the bike. Just because I bought it doesnt mean I AM BLIND TO SOME VERY NASTY SHORT COMMINGS that Victory needs to rectify for a bike in this price range ....................................................................................................

Rob

robsxct
Posted 2012-08-26 12:00 AM (#122208 - in reply to #121715)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS

OK

Did some testing and it was EXSPENSIVE....

Had the oil changed by Ma Vic at the 500 mile check in. They said they installed the 20-40 Semi vic oil. I still found the bike clunky shifting and wanted to try the oil I had been using in my past bikes.... Rotella T 5-40

So after 1000 miles I dumped the Vic Oil and installed the Rotella T 5-40... The bike shifted with a louder clunk and the Roller Rockers were even louder. I put 1000 miles on the bike and dumped the Rotella for 20-50 V-Twin Ams Oil

I have never used Ams Oil so this is my first run with it. I can say that the bike shifts much better. And if you practice how fast and at what RPM you shift at - you can shift this tranny with very little clunk sound. And at times no sound at all. The roller rocker tick is also much better.

I have to say I like what the Ams Oil has done for the sounds of the motor. Problem is it is VERY PRICEY....

Rob

Big Vic
Posted 2012-08-30 4:29 PM (#122601 - in reply to #64492)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Does the Amsoil cost more than Victory oil? I switched to Amsoil because it went longer between changes and cost less than Vics Semi-Syn. I buy the washers from Vic and use a WIX filter which is identical to the one Victory sells.
robsxct
Posted 2012-09-15 7:44 PM (#123656 - in reply to #64492)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS
The Ams Oil here is just under $20.00 a liter/quart Ouuuuch......

Been trying shifting at different rpms and If I short shift the bike in 2nd and 3rd it shifts nice. Seems if you wind it up even a little its very loud and harsh shifting...
Big Vic
Posted 2012-09-16 4:35 PM (#123709 - in reply to #64492)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
For $20 you can become an Amsoil prefered customer and buy it for about $45 gallon. I saw Amsoil 20/50 at the local Fleet Farm for $12.00 quart. Either way $20 / quart is way out of line.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™