You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Solution for Lots of Dust on Rear Fender/Bags
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

ricvic
Posted 2010-08-15 10:46 PM (#67213)
Subject: Solution for Lots of Dust on Rear Fender/Bags

Puddle Jumper

Some of you have complained about all the dust that comes up between the rear fender and the saddle bags. Here is something I have tried that cuts out a lot of that dust.

I bought from Home Depot the styrofoam tubing you use to insulate copper pipes. Buy the ones that are rigid and have the smallest opening in the middle. The width of the tube is 1 5/8 I believe. They come in a gray color. I painted one half (lengthwise, of course) black to match my black CR. I cut the length to fit. They wedge down between the brackets for the saddle seat. I have used them at speeds up to 75 with no problem. The only place you have to secure them (liquid nails, bracket)? is where the tube ends at the tail of the fender. I have not secured mine yet as the tube only hangs out about an inch from the bracket AT THAT POINT... not a good 'wedging point'.

Let me know what you think. You may worry that it would get down inside the tire but, the brackets keep it from doing that.

Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Victory XC
Posted 2010-08-16 11:23 PM (#67290 - in reply to #67213)
Subject: Re: Solution for Lots of Dust on Rear Fender/Bags

Puddle Jumper

The problem I see with that is all the gunk that the foam will collect and vibrations and removing them for cleaning will scratch the paint.
My solution was to use the same stuff - foam pipe insulation - and fit it over the sides and back of the exposed area under the seat, thus stopping it from coming up from the inner fender.
What little gets between the bag & fender is easily washed.
tlfuller
Posted 2010-08-17 4:05 PM (#67322 - in reply to #67290)

Puddle Jumper

Victory XC - 2010-08-16 11:23 PM

The problem I see with that is all the gunk that the foam will collect and vibrations and removing them for cleaning will scratch the paint.
My solution was to use the same stuff - foam pipe insulation - and fit it over the sides and back of the exposed area under the seat, thus stopping it from coming up from the inner fender.
What little gets between the bag & fender is easily washed.
I did the same thing but I also cut small circles of the material and filled the small holes around the bag supports that come out of the finder. This helped as much as filling the openings under the seat.
drapes
Posted 2010-09-14 11:05 PM (#69562 - in reply to #67213)

Puddle Jumper

These are great tips. I wonder if there's any chance or way to collaborate all the mod ides for victory bikes into one place, kind of like a list of mods and how-to's. There are a couple of minor annoyances on the cross bikes that I'm sure people will come up with great fixes for. Just wish we wouldn't have to search for them on forums.

With that, thanks for sharing the idea to clean up the back end and prevent the dirt. Going to try this out.
Zig-Zag
Posted 2014-03-24 1:51 PM (#153638 - in reply to #67213)
Subject: RE: Solution for Lots of Dust on Rear Fender/Bags

Puddle Jumper

LaFayette, GA United States
Hello, I just did this modification in the hope that it helps keep my bike cleaner. I haven't had the chance to ride since the installation, so the jury is still out as to how effective they are. I don't know how they will do with the lock and ride backrest/rack on the bike. I've been running without them lately because I like the look. Been thinking about removing the rear floorboards as well. Anyway, here's some pix of my installation. Eazy.

(DSC_0941.jpg)

(DSC_0944.jpg)

(DSC_0949.jpg)

(DSC_0951.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_0941.jpg (55KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0944.jpg (59KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0949.jpg (32KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments DSC_0951.jpg (27KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™