You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

X roads gas gauge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads Tech Q&AMessage format

marchip4
Posted 2010-08-18 9:27 PM (#67406)
Subject: X roads gas gauge

Puddle Jumper

I thought mine was the only one with this problem. Has any one talked to the dealer about this problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Roadrocket
Posted 2010-08-25 8:20 AM (#67841 - in reply to #67406)
Subject: RE: X roads gas gauge

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.

You are not alone by a long shot! And yes it's been talked about with dealers everywhere. But from what I read sometimes a 'reflash' works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a replacement corrects the problem and sometimes it doesn't. Guess that's why it comes with 2 tripmeters.

RR

locks4jail
Posted 2011-04-07 8:03 PM (#83470 - in reply to #67406)
Subject: Re: X roads gas gauge

New user

I am having the same issue since new and I am sitting at 500 miles. The dealer submitted a request to the factory for correction procedures and we are currently waiting on the factory to respond.
ltbiker
Posted 2011-05-10 2:51 AM (#85882 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
Curious.......what is the problem you guys are talking about? And, any updates from anyone?
I have a XC, and what I'm seeing thus far (1500 miles) is the XC gauge sticks on FULL for the first 60-75 miles after fill-up before it moves at all; and, the Remaining Range readout does the same thing. Wondering if this is what you're talking about?
ploz58 XC
Posted 2011-07-03 6:31 AM (#90101 - in reply to #67406)

Puddle Jumper

same thing happens with my new 2011 CC and a few others i know of. float doesnt seem to have enough range in movement, range meter gets its readings from the float im presuming.
Goatlocker95
Posted 2011-07-03 9:22 PM (#90140 - in reply to #67406)

Puddle Jumper

Lexington Park MD
If it's any consolation the only other bike I ever had with a fuel gage was a 99 Vulcan 750. Even though it was analog it did pretty much the same thing as far as staying on full for a long time and rapidly dropping especially after indicating half a tank.

Personally the biggest issue I have with the XR's fuel indicator system is the low fuel light. It continuously goes on and off when I get down to around a gallon and half or so left. My V Star came on and stayed on when the level got just below a gallon left.

Edited by Goatlocker95 2011-07-03 9:24 PM
Bubba
Posted 2011-07-04 7:18 AM (#90152 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

There is a reason there is a trip odometer. Tha's all I ever use. Never lets me down.
Bullyrider
Posted 2011-08-03 5:35 AM (#92452 - in reply to #90152)

Puddle Jumper

Newnan Ga
Bubba - 2011-07-04 8:18 AM

There is a reason there is a trip odometer. Tha's all I ever use. Never lets me down.

Same here
MTVic
Posted 2011-09-07 6:38 AM (#95917 - in reply to #67406)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa Bay, FL
All my previous bikes, Harley's were worse. Ths is not saying I didn't enjoy them, but gas gauges were never correct, low fuel would come on with over 2 gallons left.

I'm still in break in period and on the second tank so I can't comment on if this is fixed on the 2012. I'll keep an eye on it.

+1 to Bullyride
Commander
Posted 2012-01-19 12:06 AM (#105660 - in reply to #67406)

Puddle Jumper

Kokomo, IN
I have the same problem with my 2011 CR. Using the odometer is a solution, but I still think that Polaris should find a solution and send out a recall.
Strike
Posted 2012-04-01 7:29 PM (#111229 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Don't get me started on the fuel gauge, low fuel light, range readout issue. I have a 2012 XCT, and can't believe buying a $20k bike, the manufacture can't get such a important feature right.
robsxct
Posted 2012-08-12 12:28 AM (#121370 - in reply to #111229)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS
I am with you on this Strike
And this issue makes the Range indicator a waste of time.

I have a 2013 and there is no fix yet. Thats if they are even trying....

Rob
Creek IP
Posted 2012-08-17 8:36 PM (#121709 - in reply to #67406)

New user

I think part of the issue is a digital sensor sending info to an analog gauge. We see this on old helicopters that get partial upgrades. I don't like it on the XC so I just use the trip meter and know that I have a reserve of 1.2 gallons. I still compute my fuel mileage with math at the pump. It seems that the range may be based on the average mpg and current fuel quantity on the inaccurate gauge.
Strike
Posted 2012-08-17 10:39 PM (#121716 - in reply to #121370)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Rob,

I read on another Forum that another XCT owner reported all his problems to Polaris, and they gave him their "universal" answer, "Not our problem, contact your dealer". He called Polaris back again, and spoke to another person, and was told this time "you must have gotten moisture in the electronics, that's why your readouts are messed up."

Are you kidding me!!!!! Really, that is the response you get from the Manufacture of a $22k bike that is still under warranty? No ownership and/or backing of their product.

Shouldn't be surprised, as I went round and round with Polaris from Jan 2012 (when i bought my bike) until just last month about my heated seat controls that they refused to replace/fix. Thankfully, my dealers tech was able to remove the faceplate and get it right. But again, Polaris has a history of putting everything on the dealers.

So many issues on so many forums out there, and yet Polaris still jerks us around.
Strike
Posted 2012-09-05 2:50 PM (#122993 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Here is an interesting write-up that my dealer just sent me concerning my issues. I am going to have my dealer look at my injector pulses and resistance values tomorrow. Polaris told them that if this checks out, then it is just a characteristic of this system.

Strike
Posted 2012-09-05 2:51 PM (#122994 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Here is an interesting write-up that my dealer just sent me concerning my issues. I am going to have my dealer look at my injector pulses and resistance values tomorrow. Polaris told them that if this checks out, then it is just a characteristic of this system.

Strike
Posted 2012-09-05 2:56 PM (#122995 - in reply to #67406)

Cruiser

San Diego, CA
Still can't get the Word Doc to attach so here it is in the abbreviated version. The diagram mentioned below however did not copy over.

One item I want to talk about is the fuel gauge operation. There have been some early season customer concerns about the accuracy of the fuel gauge; the concern has been that the gauge is not accurate leading some people to believe replacement of the sending unit or gauge would be a prudent course of action. Let me explain what the characteristics of the Cross Country fuel gauge are. The fuel tank on this motorcycle holds 5.8 gallons of fuel when filled. There is more area at the top and bottom of the tank enclosure than there is in the center area of the fuel tank when looking at it from top to bottom. This is due to three main factors.

First: there is a large tunnel that runs the length of the fuel tank front to back. The top of the tunnel is about 2.5? below the top of the tank. This means more area for fuel to be held at the top 1/3rd of the tank than from the tunnel down.

Second: the shape of the sides of the tank allows for more fuel to be held at the bottom of the tank on either side of the tunnel than in the center portion. Look at a tank from the bottom there are two large flat surfaces on the bottom of the tank and the distance from the tunnel wall to the outside of the tank is wider in this area than at mid tank height. This allows more fuel capacity at the bottom 1/3rd of the tank than the center 1/3rd of the tank.

Third: the fuel pump is mounted in the center rear of the tank in the area where the center tunnel is shallower. The pump itself takes up some volume of the center 1/3rd of the tank as well.

I have included a diagram to show the relationship of the tunnel, position of the fuel pump and travel of the float arm.

These three factors are the primary reasons the fuel gauge moves more rapidly through the center of the float range; subsequently the gauge display as well.

This explains why some customers have noticed that the fuel gauge seems to stay at or near the full mark to 3/4 tank, then notice the gauge falls more rapidly from approximately 3/4 tank to 1/4 tank of fuel. Some consumers have also felt that the low fuel light comes on too quickly. This is done to allow a more generous run time on low fuel level just in case you need the extra range. Victory engineered the tank to normally refill before the tank is completely dry in order to add to the service life of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is both lubricated and cooled by the fuel in the tank. Allowing the fuel pump to run dry on any vehicle with this type of system on a regular basis could shorten the service life of that vehicles fuel pump.

Edited by Strike 2012-09-05 3:01 PM
rinjr
Posted 2016-01-29 3:24 PM (#177480 - in reply to #67406)

Puddle Jumper

beaufort sc United States
Mine is a 2015 and the gas gage is also sticking at the top then drops. Stays there for a while then drops. Thus the range finder is not working and on long rides thu the country need to gas up more often due to not knowing how much gas. Anyone know if they have found out why it sticks? You would think for the price you would be able to just look at the gage or range finder and have it working continuously.

Edited by rinjr 2016-01-29 3:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™