You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cat Removal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads Tech Q&AMessage format

DBVictor
Posted 2011-03-31 7:27 PM (#82887)
Subject: Cat Removal

Puddle Jumper

Central Pennsylvania
I have the stage 1 kit on my 2010 X-Country and like many would like a more sound from them. I was planning to cut them open and do some work internal work to open them up, but when I took them off, I discovered that I could see straight through them. So now I am thinking it is the catalyst in the head pipes that is restricting the flow and keeping my bike quiet.
So now my question, apart from the legal aspects, is there a mechanical reason to leave the catalytic crap in my head pipes or should I gut them figuring that the O2 sensors will compensate for the leaner condition caused by the free-er flowing, wide open exhaust ?
Any thoughts on this ?
Regards,
DB
Top of the page Bottom of the page
neagtea
Posted 2011-04-02 9:26 PM (#83051 - in reply to #82887)
Subject: Re: Cat Removal

New user

It seems like hammer's have them also and I just took them off and put complete pipes on it.
I ran my cross without the mufflers when I was changing them and it didn't seem that loud. I would like to hear it with straight pipes (no cat) and after market mufflers
DBVictor
Posted 2011-04-03 4:16 PM (#83089 - in reply to #82887)

Puddle Jumper

Central Pennsylvania
I'll have to let you know. I think I will be gutting the catalytic material from my head pipes and reinstalling the stage 1 mufflers. I won't get to ride it for a little while yet, still waiting on my floorboards from the chrome shop, and a couple of parts at the painters.
Thanks for the reply,
DB
40vegas
Posted 2011-04-03 9:30 PM (#83105 - in reply to #83089)

Puddle Jumper

According to some Victory Tech's on these forums the cat plugs are very important the flow caracteristics of the exhaust and removing them can have detrimental effects on the torque output of your engine. I would leave them in until you research this further. Contact KevinX at the Gainsville, FL Vic dealer or call Lloyds Performance via the links on this site for advice there. You might regret not inquiring with them before you do this mod.
DBVictor
Posted 2011-04-04 6:05 AM (#83110 - in reply to #82887)

Puddle Jumper

Central Pennsylvania
Thanks, I will check it out.
vulkn1
Posted 2011-04-16 7:01 PM (#84140 - in reply to #83110)

Puddle Jumper

I hope you post the answer to your question when you find out. Cheers
whitie
Posted 2011-12-29 1:45 PM (#104312 - in reply to #82887)

Puddle Jumper

Northbridge, MA
I have a '11 XC with stage 1, Lloyd's fuel manager., weather strip removed & D&D slip ons. I completely removed the baffles (removed one bolt, & they slid out the back w/some elbow grease & a slide hammer!). Sounds great, runs great & not straight pipe loud because of the converter. Just my opinion!
Ch55
Posted 2012-03-10 8:55 AM (#109694 - in reply to #83105)

Puddle Jumper

40vegas - 2011-04-03 10:30 PM

According to some Victory Tech's on these forums the cat plugs are very important the flow caracteristics of the exhaust and removing them can have detrimental effects on the torque output of your engine. I would leave them in until you research this further. Contact KevinX at the Gainsville, FL Vic dealer or call Lloyds Performance via the links on this site for advice there. You might regret not inquiring with them before you do this mod.

+1 on leaving the cats in.

Our motors like that back pressure and there is a net loss of power if removed.
And if the goal is loudness you should be looking at the baffles.
Don't let the hollowness fool you.
Example being wrapping the outside of a baffle softens the sound.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™