You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Different Oil Usage with Cross Bikes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

ricvic
Posted 2011-04-21 3:33 PM (#84484)
Subject: Different Oil Usage with Cross Bikes

Puddle Jumper

Ok. I have tried to read ALL the threads on oils for Victory bikes and I wanted to hear from the Cross riders what they have tried and had success with.

I also want to know what we can try/use without blowing our warranties.

And can I get rid of the 6th GEAR NOISE?! Have new pipes on, over 6000 miles, ear buds on mp3, but still hear it vibrate thru my body. Just finished a 1000 mile ride thru west FL and central AL (3 day weekend) and I couldn't stand riding without ear plugs of some sort. I know, get a life. Ha.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ltbiker
Posted 2011-04-22 1:53 AM (#84533 - in reply to #84484)
Subject: RE: Different Oil Usage with Cross Bikes

Cruiser

Chandler, AZ
I just had the initial service done on my '11 XC, and had dealer put in AMSOIL. They had no issues using it, and it is coded for wet clutch bike use, as per the Owner's Manual. So far, right at 400 miles ridden since the service, and I do think it's shifting quieter, plus I'm only at the 1100 mile mark on new bike, so expecting it to get even quieter and smoother with more miles on it.
wesdalton
Posted 2011-04-22 7:23 AM (#84544 - in reply to #84484)
Subject: RE: Different Oil Usage with Cross Bikes

Puddle Jumper

I use Vic oil. I don't notice any gear whine that is at a level that bothers me. Stage one pipes on my 2010 XC after 8k miles on them have become louder but not to a point that it bothers me. I have no complaints.
hersrudj
Posted 2011-05-30 2:18 PM (#87497 - in reply to #84484)
Subject: Re: Different Oil Usage with Cross Bikes

New user

I use Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Its JASO MB rated and I change it at 5k. I have no clutch slippage even if I ride it like I stole it. The bike runs cooler and it was always the most effective oil at keeping my Indian EVO style motor quiet. It wont help mush with the gear whine and it is crazy expensive. I intend to give Rotella t6 a try because I have heard good feedback and it is much much less expensive.
XRsteve
Posted 2011-05-31 9:24 PM (#87644 - in reply to #84484)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
AH-HA, another rider that recognizes the Indian motor as a EVO clone...........
landonmj
Posted 2012-03-08 11:32 PM (#109588 - in reply to #84484)

New user

I've asked LLoyd of LLoyd's Motorworx about this. If you have read any of the tech stuff he has written, he says Victory oil is good enough for him. If it's good enough for somone that lives and breathes Victory performance, it's good enough for me. Not spending the extra $ for synthetics, racing oil or sticky Amzoil is more fuel in the tank wich means more time in the wind!
lstayner
Posted 2012-03-09 5:19 PM (#109647 - in reply to #87497)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
hersrudj - 2011-05-30 2:18 PM

I use Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil. Its JASO MB rated and I change it at 5k. I have no clutch slippage even if I ride it like I stole it. The bike runs cooler and it was always the most effective oil at keeping my Indian EVO style motor quiet. It wont help mush with the gear whine and it is crazy expensive. I intend to give Rotella t6 a try because I have heard good feedback and it is much much less expensive.

You might want to reconsider a JASO-MB rating. Victory recommends JASO-MA in the owners manual. I am not sure what the difference is but this could be a big deal if you would have engine issues under warranty.

Myself, I have been using Rotella R6 full synthetic in my bikes for a couple of years. It is rated JASO-MA and is 1/3 the price of Vic oil. Between my wife and I we will ride 35K - 40K miles a year and oil changes can dollar up pretty fast using Victory oil.

Edited by lstayner 2012-03-09 5:20 PM
Big Vic
Posted 2012-03-12 7:12 PM (#109900 - in reply to #84484)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I agree there is better oil than Victory oil for the money. Some Victory owners get a little crazy on this subject and start ranting about Victory Engineers designing the oil, I'm going to use what Victory spec'd for my Victory engine, and 1000's of miles of testing, blah, blah, blah. The truth is Victory DOES NOT make oil they make MONEY from oil. They buy the oil from an oil company like HD and every other engine manufacturer on the planet. I use Amsoil 20/50 and love it. I've used it for over 100,000 miles in several bikes with 0 issues. In my opinion it is much quieter and shifts smoother.
Roadrocket
Posted 2012-03-14 5:01 PM (#110079 - in reply to #84484)

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.
I use Suzuki Semi-Syn 20-50. At $4 bucks a qt. it's a deal and a bit more quiet when the summer temps start topping 95 degrees. To each his own.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™