You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Belt Chirp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

jama
Posted 2011-09-11 9:03 PM (#96297)
Subject: Belt Chirp

Cruiser

Arkansas
Have a relatively new 2011 CC; last bike was '08 Vision Tour Premium.
The Vision had a bad chirp that was finally resolved by a new belt and both pulleys replaced under warranty; never heard another chirp....until on my new CC- trip out west at about 2500 miles -that darn belt started chirping like there was no tomorrow. Still does-got the belt adjusted by dealer to factory specs- helped a lot but not completely, plus then the belt would whine and groan at low speed and decel-Jeez!
I loosened it a bit and groan decreased while birds returned to nest in my rear wheel.

I thought they fixed this problem!!! Adjusted belt both tighter and looser and still no help. PLease don't tell me I need to clean the pulleys every few thousand miles unless the factory rep is going to knock on my door every 2 months to do it for me.

Anybody else having this problem? Dealer says I'm the only one they know of having it. ( they are willing to work on it, but they shouldn't be bothered by this either).

Insight anyone?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jama
Posted 2011-09-14 11:13 PM (#96645 - in reply to #96297)
Subject: Re: Belt Chirp

Cruiser

Arkansas
No replies: Does this mean I am the only one having this? If I am, then there is hope.
BBob
Posted 2011-09-16 1:41 AM (#96761 - in reply to #96297)

Havasu, AZ
I use the Dupont Multi-Use Dry Lube w/Teflon that I found at Ace Hardware. Keeps everything quiet and looking good. I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled the life of the belt and pulleys.
Ch55
Posted 2011-09-16 8:23 AM (#96769 - in reply to #96761)

Puddle Jumper

ok and dont laugh..........
My brother had the same problem on his 8Ball.
Tried this and that and then went to the stealer.
They laughed and said got any Ivory soap?
Not dial , not Irish spring, just plain ole Ivory.
He had one of those dealies where you park the wheel
on a roller thing for cleaning, fires it up and applied like pit stop.
Now its quiet like a baby......
jama
Posted 2011-09-16 6:52 PM (#96827 - in reply to #96297)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Good ideas I have not heard before- thanks guys- I will try these.
Flash
Posted 2011-10-09 9:19 PM (#98727 - in reply to #96297)
Subject: RE: Belt Chirp

Puddle Jumper

This is my third Victory so I am not crying that the sky is falling.

I have never had a problem until while on a trip to Utah, (8000 miles on this CC) all of a sudden I got "the chirp". It was so bad I couldn't tellit was coming from the belt. Long story short, some graphite spray or silicon is a good temp fix but my dealer submitted it to Victory and they will replace the pulley under warranty. I'm not the first or the last they will hear from. Apparantly it happens once in a while and they are trying to narrow down the cause. MAybe a bad batch of pulleys or ????. The new pulley hasn't arrived yet but the graphite has silenced it for now. Hope this helps you.
jama
Posted 2011-10-09 11:33 PM (#98735 - in reply to #96297)

Cruiser

Arkansas
The Ivory soap is okay for avoiding the embarrassment of the chirp for several days at a time, but Victory is replacing my pulley also, so hopefully this problem will be going away soon!
gcefalo
Posted 2011-12-12 5:53 AM (#103256 - in reply to #96297)

Puddle Jumper

Simpsonville, SC
Alignment and belt dressing were done to fix my chirp, but it still chirped. The dealer had just purchased a sonic belt tensioner, the lead mechanic set the belt to the exact tension specified in the service manual and that did the trick. BTW, I have an 09 Vision.
Commander
Posted 2011-12-26 8:32 PM (#104153 - in reply to #96297)

Puddle Jumper

Kokomo, IN
I had this problem on my 08 Vision. I'd rub a section of the belt with bar soap (Ivory). That would stop it for a couple days. When I had a new rear tire installed, it didn't chirp anymore. WTF?
jama
Posted 2012-05-07 7:21 PM (#113736 - in reply to #96297)

Cruiser

Arkansas
New belt, drive pulley and wheel pulley- 2600 miles on them so far and quiet as a mouse (warranty)
40vegas
Posted 2012-05-16 9:10 PM (#114436 - in reply to #96769)

Puddle Jumper

Ch55 - 2011-09-16 8:23 AM

ok and dont laugh..........
My brother had the same problem on his 8Ball.
Tried this and that and then went to the stealer.
They laughed and said got any Ivory soap?
Not dial , not Irish spring, just plain ole Ivory.
He had one of those dealies where you park the wheel
on a roller thing for cleaning, fires it up and applied like pit stop.
Now its quiet like a baby......

Any bar soap will work. May have to re-apply after you wash the bike or after you travel a gravel road. The belt becomes polished with wear and use. This takes care of it, effective. My Vegas developed this problem and this was all that was needed to take care of it.
Defender
Posted 2012-06-11 3:20 PM (#116287 - in reply to #96297)

New user

I had this same problem!!!! Purchased an '11 XC with 7,000 miles a few months ago. After a few hundred miles chirp, chirp, chirp....tighten the belt a little and the most horrible sounding whine coming from the front sprocket....back it of a bit and back to chirp, chirp, chirp. Per Victory, my dealer replaced both sprockets and belt under warranty. So far so good!!!!
Commander
Posted 2012-06-17 9:08 PM (#116890 - in reply to #116287)

Puddle Jumper

Kokomo, IN
I had chirping on my 2008 Vision. I solved the problem by rubbing bar soap (Ivory) on a section of the belt. That solved the problem for a few days. I now have a 2011 XR. The XR started doing it, then I applied DuPont Teflon Dry Wax Lubricant, and it hasn't been a problem since. Both bikes quieted down as the belt warmed up.
robsxct
Posted 2012-09-08 11:31 PM (#123270 - in reply to #96297)

Cruiser

Halifax, NS

jama - 2011-09-11 11:03 PM Have a relatively new 2011 CC; last bike was '08 Vision Tour Premium. The Vision had a bad chirp that was finally resolved by a new belt and both pulleys replaced under warranty; never heard another chirp....until on my new CC- trip out west at about 2500 miles -that darn belt started chirping like there was no tomorrow. Still does-got the belt adjusted by dealer to factory specs- helped a lot but not completely, plus then the belt would whine and groan at low speed and decel-Jeez! I loosened it a bit and groan decreased while birds returned to nest in my rear wheel. I thought they fixed this problem!!! Adjusted belt both tighter and looser and still no help. PLease don't tell me I need to clean the pulleys every few thousand miles unless the factory rep is going to knock on my door every 2 months to do it for me. Anybody else having this problem? Dealer says I'm the only one they know of having it. ( they are willing to work on it, but they shouldn't be bothered by this either). Insight anyone?

I have read this before then the other day my XCT started making a chirp sound

I noticed the belt was hard against 1 side of the pully. It was trying to climb up the side of the pulley so I adjusted the wheel so the belt runs in the middle of the pully and not a sound.

Be carefull these belts seem loose when the bike is cold but they tighten up ALOT when the bike has been running for a while.

If you run the belt to tight you will kill ether the bearing on the output shaft on the tranny or wheel bearing......

alby1600
Posted 2013-12-15 8:41 AM (#149690 - in reply to #96645)

New user

no, you are not alone,this is my first bike with belt drive and it sure is not making a good impression,had shaft drive and never an issue,many chain drives and other than a dirty back wheel(witch i would gladly settle for over that darn belt noise) and yes i adjusted,reajusted (i have all the tools) had the dealer do it ,cleaned it ,prayed to it ,cursed it and it just wont go away. come spring i will attempt lubricants,as for the bike i could not be happier ,thank god i have the cct so i can drown out the belt churp with music....lol

Edited by alby1600 2013-12-15 8:46 AM
vic2004-08
Posted 2013-12-16 3:30 PM (#149731 - in reply to #96297)

Cruiser

Lusby,Md
Had it on my '08 vision and my '12 CCT. On both the dealer changed my pulleys and belts. 3 times on the CCT. And yes the dealer tried to adjust it numerous times.
2juggs
Posted 2014-01-05 11:19 AM (#150255 - in reply to #96297)

Puddle Jumper

I have had the same problem, my solution was doing the belt adjustment to spec myself, the chirp was still there, then next day, with cold bike and belt, I readjusted to spec, then turned the 2 tensioners an extra quarter turn, this gave me 1 inch of deflection rather than the 1 1/4 inch, chirp gone, spoke to my dealer about this, he said that yes some times the have to a little tighter to stop the chirp. Hope this helps someone out there.
Garyinwi
Posted 2014-05-18 10:57 PM (#156479 - in reply to #96297)

New user

Western WI
I confirm 2Juggs comment. After giving my dealer 3 tries and I realigned it easily 20x, I finally got rid of my squeeking entirely by tensioning belt to 1 inch (vs 1 1/4" when cold and dry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™