You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

sloppy rear rotor?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ByteN2it
Posted 2012-09-05 5:11 PM (#123002)
Subject: sloppy rear rotor?

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I looked around a bit and saw VARIDER's youtube video of his loose rear rotor & mines about the same-there are no specs in the service manual for this only run out & disc thickness (I'm within specs). I have zero brake issues-no chatter/pulsing/etc and my pads look great and are wearing evenly. I have no problem replacing the disc if I have to but I wonder if it's really necessary? I can get an OEM one for $160 but I don't want to do it again in another 30K miles. Only aftermarket I found were fancy PM & Ness types-IF I'm gonna replace mine I want a heavy duty one that will go the distance. Going on tour in less than 10 days so I need to make a decision quick-let me know what you think.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-05 5:17 PM (#123004 - in reply to #123002)
Subject: Re: sloppy rear rotor?

Visionary

Is your worped
if you grab it is there play in it? Compair it to the front. It should not have any movement
I saw where a guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcHw_t3QlU
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-05 5:18 PM (#123006 - in reply to #123002)

Visionary

The buttons are aluminum so you could recrush them
varyder
Posted 2012-09-05 5:24 PM (#123007 - in reply to #123002)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Mine was getting hot and blueing...
Arkainzeye
Posted 2012-09-05 5:36 PM (#123012 - in reply to #123002)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
my 08 rear rotor did the same thing i replaced it. ($200)

or http://motowheels.com/i-7579497-corse-dynamics-full-floating-rotor-...
buddahead
Posted 2012-09-05 6:34 PM (#123020 - in reply to #123002)

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
Brian,

I had a full floating rotor mod done to my '99, the rotor moved left to right 5mm at the outer edge. This free movement made the brakes very effective, I could stop the front wheel at speeds below 20mph. The lateral play had no negative effect on the bike, other than seeming odd. I put over 50k with the floating rotor...
ByteN2it
Posted 2012-09-05 7:12 PM (#123023 - in reply to #123002)

Tourer

No issues- no warping/bluing, etc-it just radial play-there should be some movement but I wasn't sure at what point it becomes excessive. I looked closely at the rivets and believe they're stainless steel- the issue is more the O.D. of the rivets allowing what seems like a large amount of play (approximately 1/8"the replacement rotor buttons only go to 5mm -the Vic's is 7mm rotor, so that's not an option. Thanks
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-05 7:13 PM (#123024 - in reply to #123007)

Visionary

varyder - 2012-09-05 5:24 PM Mine was getting hot and blueing...

If rotor is turning blue your break shoes are dragging.

Are they the correct pads?

If so you can get a caliper rebuild kit pull your caliper split it in half and with air blow the pistons out.

Lay it flat on bench do not try to catch pistons cause they will hurt you.

Pull square cut O rings with small pick. Clean every thing. Lube new O rings with break fluid and press back in.

Make sure they are not cocked. Put back together. With caliper at highest point place block of wood between pads and bleed.

When you have all the air out bolt to carrier.

Sounds hard but the bleeding it the only bad part. Bleed front caliper using center bleeder

johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-05 7:18 PM (#123025 - in reply to #123023)

Visionary

ByteN2it - 2012-09-05 7:12 PM No issues- no warping/bluing, etc-it just radial play-there should be some movement but I wasn't sure at what point it becomes excessive. I looked closely at the rivets and believe they're stainless steel- the issue is more the O.D. of the rivets allowing what seems like a large amount of play (approximately 1/8"the replacement rotor buttons only go to 5mm -the Vic's is 7mm rotor, so that's not an option. Thanks

The play in the rear rotor should be the same as the front. If not something is wrong cause you know the fronts are correct

RiverRat
Posted 2012-09-05 7:47 PM (#123027 - in reply to #123002)

Puddle Jumper

Southern Indiana
Mine is doing the same 34,500 miles, I have been looking for options but have not found much
varyder
Posted 2012-09-05 8:32 PM (#123033 - in reply to #123024)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
johnnyvision - 2012-09-05 8:13 PM

varyder - 2012-09-05 5:24 PM Mine was getting hot and blueing...

If rotor is turning blue your break shoes are dragging.

Are they the correct pads?

If so you can get a caliper rebuild kit pull your caliper split it in half and with air blow the pistons out.

Lay it flat on bench do not try to catch pistons cause they will hurt you.

Pull square cut O rings with small pick. Clean every thing. Lube new O rings with break fluid and press back in.

Make sure they are not cocked. Put back together. With caliper at highest point place block of wood between pads and bleed.

When you have all the air out bolt to carrier.

Sounds hard but the bleeding it the only bad part. Bleed front caliper using center bleeder

Nope. I was referring to the loose rotor.  It rattled while was moving, and I could smell it burning.  Replaced under warranty.  Front was also replaced under warranty due extreme rusting.  Things I forget.

Edited by varyder 2012-09-05 8:34 PM
atvtinker
Posted 2012-09-06 12:56 AM (#123049 - in reply to #123002)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Radial movement of about an 1/8" is about right. This is what makes them "free floating". Anymore than that, then I would replace them. This helps with "instant lock up" of the brakes when they are applied quickly.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-09-06 7:04 PM (#123103 - in reply to #123002)
Subject: RE: sloppy rear rotor?

Visionary

ByteN2it - 2012-09-05 5:11 PM I looked around a bit and saw VARIDER's youtube video of his loose rear rotor & mines about the same-there are no specs in the service manual for this only run out & disc thickness (I'm within specs). I have zero brake issues-no chatter/pulsing/etc and my pads look great and are wearing evenly. I have no problem replacing the disc if I have to but I wonder if it's really necessary? I can get an OEM one for $160 but I don't want to do it again in another 30K miles. Only aftermarket I found were fancy PM & Ness types-IF I'm gonna replace mine I want a heavy duty one that will go the distance. Going on tour in less than 10 days so I need to make a decision quick-let me know what you think.

I was just on ebay and there is a read rotor there. Just put in victory vision and start scrolling.

ByteN2it
Posted 2012-09-06 7:39 PM (#123109 - in reply to #123002)

Tourer

I'm goin with what I have. I'm positive that if it could be an issue there would be tolerance specs & I've scoured everything & I can't find a thing. We're all just used to having everything tight and it's engineered to have play. I looked at the Ebay rotor-I already have a used one + I can buy a new one for $159.63 if that's what I wanted-Thanks for letting me bounce this off you guys-Brian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™