You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Kickstand kill switch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Cross Country / Cross Roads DiscussionMessage format

Rhatt
Posted 2011-05-14 9:27 PM (#86303)
Subject: Kickstand kill switch

New user

Is there an add on that i can get this puton my new ride? I almost dumped it as I thought it was in neutral and stand down when i let go of the clutch.

Scared the bejeezus out of me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bubba
Posted 2011-05-16 6:50 AM (#86402 - in reply to #86303)
Subject: Re: Kickstand kill switch

Cruiser

Never heard of one. I always double check!
ndabunka
Posted 2011-05-18 9:36 AM (#86566 - in reply to #86303)
Subject: RE: Kickstand kill switch

Cruiser

You can always simply look at the shift indicator on your bike. If you have a '11, it has the neutral feature that ensures it's in neutral.
Goatlocker95
Posted 2011-05-18 4:32 PM (#86600 - in reply to #86566)

Puddle Jumper

Lexington Park MD
ndabunka - 2011-05-18 10:36 AM

You can always simply look at the shift indicator on your bike. If you have a '11, it has the neutral feature that ensures it's in neutral.

The kick stand kill switch will kill the engine if the bike is put in gear with the kick stand down. The problem is if you try and make a left with the stand down it CAN cause you to be thrown to the right or it can lever the tire off the ground; either way you won't like the results.

The easiest thing I can think of is to mount a switch to the kick stand and a red light somewhere around the speedo. Wire it so the light is on when the stand is down. It won't kill your engine but the red light should get your attention.
Stripe
Posted 2011-05-18 9:44 PM (#86619 - in reply to #86303)

New user

The Yamaha VStar 1300 has a kickstand kill switch built in from the factory. You could probably go look at one and perhaps order the components from a Yamaha dealer. Can't speak to whether it is a viable safety feature or not. It appears to be a pressure switch that activates against the kickstand when engaged.
Rhatt
Posted 2011-05-19 5:28 AM (#86627 - in reply to #86619)

New user

All the Stars have that kill switch feature. Became familiar with having it and not worrying about having a brain dead moment like I did.

As far as a safety feature, I think it is a glaring ommission on such a great ride. Not to mention a valuable protection device against inadverrtantly damaging your machine due to being inattentive. Dunno about ya'll but I dont think I can rollup a 750 lbs bike anymore.
BostonVaughn
Posted 2011-05-19 8:37 PM (#86678 - in reply to #86303)

Puddle Jumper

Middleboro Ma
I like that I can warm up the bike before a ride-I could only do this AFTER I was ready to go with my V Star. The lack of the locking kickstand is another issue but there are solutions, common sense being the best one.
sanqhar
Posted 2011-05-21 10:06 AM (#86799 - in reply to #86303)

Puddle Jumper

UK
I think they now have these on the current model UK Victories. It's a result of having the European Vehicle Type Approval. Whether these show up on european parts lists I don't know.

It must be more than just a simple switch because these things are usually linked to the gearbox so putting the bike in gear kills the engine.

tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™