You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

rider DOWN
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

densred12xc
Posted 2012-10-05 11:34 AM (#124720 - in reply to #118066)
Subject: RE: rider DOWN

Puddle Jumper

Fostoria Ohio USA
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you can make a complete recovery after the healing procees and the physical therapy you'll be needing. I went through a similar but not near the body damage crash 11 years ago and that took me six months of tharapy to get back to normal. My body can now predict the weather better than the TV guys, but hey it's good to be alive, better yet to be riding again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
8-ball
Posted 2012-10-05 8:24 PM (#124756 - in reply to #118066)
Subject: Re: rider DOWN

Tourer

Green Bay, WI United States
Thanks for the PM. Until we meet, PUSH my Brother.

fang1111
Posted 2013-06-09 3:26 AM (#140153 - in reply to #118066)

Puddle Jumper

Orange County
Get well SOON!
handyhiker
Posted 2014-06-09 4:39 AM (#158194 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
Today is a day of CELIBRATION!! Not for the fact that I had the accident, but for the fact I lived through it! It is that time when I will do my post on this topic. It has now been 2 years since the day that changed my life forever. I still have no idea what happened that day. For that matter, I still don't have any recall for a month of hospitals and surgery. I am still in pain every day and still don't walk too good. I am however working every day and learning to live with the changes in my life.
I just want this to be a reminder to all who ride to RIDE SAFE!! I will never ride again, but I do live life every day and can still feel the sunshine on my face. I ask that all my friends who ride PLEASE ride safe and while you make your own decisions what to wear when you ride, Please wear your gear. It truly did save my life!!
And just to answer the question, YES, I do miss riding every day as I watch the bikes go past the house or see them as I drive.
All I ask is PLEASE be safe out there, shit can happen in the blink of an eye.
varyder
Posted 2014-06-09 5:28 AM (#158195 - in reply to #118066)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Glad you're still with us. Thanks for the reminder. I look forward to what you're going to write. Prayers for a continued recovery.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-06-09 9:14 AM (#158206 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
So glad to hear that your recovery continues to move forward. I want to thank you for sending out your latest update as it serves a reminder to all of us on 2 wheels to never let our guard down and to take every advantage we have when it comes to protective gear.

Most of all, it drives home what are priorities in life really are. Waking up and enjoying the life we were given and everyone around us.

God speed in your recovery and I will always keep your message close.
Thomas
Posted 2014-06-09 9:50 AM (#158210 - in reply to #158194)

Central Wisconsin

Ken, 

Good to hear your moving around and back to work.

Appricate your safety concern for us fellow riders. We have a group ride coming up soon Wisconsin-Wyoming-Wisconsin and hearing your testament confirms always wear protective gear.

You probably thought about a trike?

handyhiker
Posted 2014-06-09 4:26 PM (#158220 - in reply to #158210)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
Thomas - 2014-06-09 10:50 AM

You probably thought about a trike?

I have and even sat on a 2009, Black Cherry Vision trike that was almost exactly like my old bike. It was almost scary to sit on it because it felt and looked just like mine was.
I just cant justify the cost. It was used and they still are going for $25000. I just wouldn't ride enough to spend that kind of money. I have a work van that I drive every day. So that means the only riding would be on weekends and for that much money, I would be better off with a nice Jeep that I can pull the top off of and in the winter still be able to drive it. Another problem is just trying to get my leg over the seat. The left one is hard to get even that high and if I use the right, that means I have to put all my weight on my left which sometimes works and sometimes not.
I have come to accept that my riding is over. I sure don't like it , but have come to accept it.
I am however still in the Polaris family, just a distant cousin now. I bought a 2011 Polaris Ranger to get me around the yard and help with yard duties. I really like it but it sure isn't a Vision!! :-) But at least I can get to the back of the yard now and still clear the down branches and haul garden stuff.

Take care all my FRIENDS and fellow riders. PLEASE, PLEASE ride safe and keep the rubber down.

P.S. On a side note, I still have a really nice Victory Leather riding jacket in mens large that needs a new home! :-)
BBQWIZ
Posted 2014-06-09 6:40 PM (#158223 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

ROCHESTER,NY
God bless!!!! Brother.Keep on keepn on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thomas
Posted 2014-06-09 11:20 PM (#158227 - in reply to #158220)

Central Wisconsin

Ken,

It's good to hear your still mobile.

I have two Jeeps. An older Cherokee that I use to plow snow and pull a trailer for firewood. Also a newer Wrangler for a work vehicle. I've had the overhead tops off but not the complete top off yet.

A family member likes the Polaris Ranger so much that he's on his second one.

Vladezip
Posted 2014-06-10 12:20 AM (#158228 - in reply to #121877)

Glendale, AZ United States
handyhiker - 2012-08-21 5:40 AM

kris1956 - 2012-08-20 8:48 PM

CoolHandLuke - 2012-07-26 8:27 AM Ken, after seeing the pics that Varyder found, I'm very happy to hear that you're still with us. The good Lord was watching over you on that one.

?+1

Thank you to all for the well wishes. I may never ride a Vision again but my plan is to ride something after I get healed up good. The wife is a little scared about me riding again. I guess I can't blame her. She is the one who sat and had to wait to see if I would pull through. The doctors said it was touch and go for a while. Have to wait and see.
PLEASE RIDE SAFE ALL!!!

I am glad you are home and doing well with continued support from family and friends. I'm sure some days are better then others, but hang in there and stick with the rehabilitation, which is easy to say on my part. Impressive pictures of the accident to say the least. My stomach gets queezy and I break out in a cold sweat when I see these unfortunate accidents. Hats off to your brother for being able to take fotos at the scene. I don't think I would be able to do it if my brother was involved in something like this or friend with me behind him. Honestly, I am not sure what I would do after an event like this. I think if my wife insisted on it I would most likely hang up my riding boots. I think the fact you don't remember the rough days when it was touch and go is a blessing, but your wife surely remembers and this will be something she will never forget, unfortunately. Wishing you a speedy recovery without any more road blocks along the way. Take care, Vlad.
handyhiker
Posted 2014-06-10 2:36 PM (#158244 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
For some of those that have been around a while, I know you saw this topic come up last year at this time. And if you were around in 2012, you saw the thread get started. I know this is now 2 years old, but I don't care. I will bring up this post for as many years as I am able. If It makes a few folks mad, TOO bad. If it makes just one rider think about a decision they are making and it keeps them safe, than it is worth my time and effort.
I just know the shit I go through EVERY DAY since the accident, trust me, I wish this on no one. Life changing is a really weak way to describe it. Words can't really describe the feeling of EVERY DAY when I get up out of bed, I have to just stand there a moment to see if my left leg will hold me up. Then go and try to move it and see how bad it hurts today.
I can walk but it sure isn't a fast walk by any means. Even on good days. I just want this to be a wake up call to those who think, IT WON'T HAPPEN TO ME, I AM A SAFE RIDER. Guess what, I thought the same thing, Been riding street bikes for over 35 years and NEVER had an accident on the road before this one. Believe what they say, IT ONLY TAKES ONE. It really does, and believe me, I am one of the lucky ones. There are so many ways it could have been worse I can't even begin to think of the worst case scenarios.
Please take this in the spirit it is intended, All riders just need to be as safe as possible!! Take care all till next year!! RIDE SAFE!!
varyder
Posted 2014-06-10 2:45 PM (#158245 - in reply to #118066)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Hey, don't go away until next year. Your wisdom is welcome, sorry it is by exerience. I can't imagine anyone being critical that this post is two years old, it's a conversation that should never end. I've been rethinking my riding lately because I'm getting the feeling I may have to give up riding sooner rather than later. I will hold out as long as I know I can ride "SAFELY", but know that it can happen at anytime. I had a guy coming right at me on a side street approaching a stop sign. I'm like what is happening here as I was turning on to that street. He was looking at his phone. He corrected and stopped at the sign, but he was still looking at his phone. I just didn't have it in me to tell another grown-up not be stupid. I figured, even if I told him anything he wouldn't listen. But I hoped just the episode alone would help him not do that. He did stop for a while instead of driving on, so maybe...

But we need to be reminded to remain vigilent when we ride.
handyhiker
Posted 2014-06-15 5:04 AM (#158344 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
I know what I forgot to tell you all, I actually did ride again!! It has been over a year ago now, but I did ride. The wife and I had a pair of Piaggio MP3 Scooters that we would ride around town. The one Saturday that she had to work I thought I should start the scooters and let them run for a bit. Well it was a nice day and I was home alone. I came in the house, put on all my gear, and went out to the garage. Sat on my scooter and had a long conversation with myself, asking if I really want to do this or not. Well the garage door went up and I tried. It took me about 10 minutes to ride my driveway which is about 100' long. I would start to go, then stop and ask myself, do you really want to do this?? Well I finally got to the road, a motorcycle went by and waved, now or never!! I went out the drive and on the road, it was at this point I realized that I could not lift my left leg to get it on the scooter. I had to use my left arm to help lift my leg and I can tell you that riding one handed, being really nervous and no riding for a while was a spooky experience. After a few wobbles back and forth, my leg was up and away I went. I turned around in an industrial park about 1/2 mile down the road. Coming up to the stop sign, I thought, cool! I have ridden again. I proved to myself that the fear will not rule my life. I sat there for a good minute, a little sweat running down my back, and thought, left back to the house, or right to ride a bit? I turned right and still had to use my left hand to help my leg get up on the scooter, but did 17 miles!! To me this was a huge accomplishment not to mention a total rush.
I waited till the wife got home from work to tell her what I had done. I almost got killed all over again! :-) She said she knew I would try, but was really happy I was able to answer myself as to the question of weather I could or not. Also she was really glad I didn't tell her or she would have been worried sick.
That was the last time I rode and at least got to prove to myself that I am not living in fear. Now it is just common sense that my left leg doesn't work well enough so I have NO business trying.
Take care, RIDE SAFE, and Happy Fathers Day!!
lennyb
Posted 2014-06-15 2:13 PM (#158355 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
I was expecting the ride to have ended at the end of the driveway. Quite surprised that you went onto the street and then to add 17 miles after making that right turn had to have been a rush. Can not imagine all of the emotions that your were flooded with during that time. Would have been nice to have had a video going. One event that stands out is the passing cyclist who gave you a wave. A safe ride gesture, and if only they knew how very important that message was to you - wow.

Thanks for the story.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™