You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

rider DOWN
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

handyhiker
Posted 2012-07-26 9:54 AM (#120257 - in reply to #118066)
Subject: Re: rider DOWN

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
Thank you Chris for helping me post the pics. My brother took some of these as they were working on me and getting me loaded in the ambulance. My wife took the others when she went to get my personal affects out of the bike. In the first picture, the white car is the one I hit. The one fuel tank ruptured and you can see the gas trail running down the road.
As always, please ride safe all!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samsplace
Posted 2012-07-26 9:53 PM (#120297 - in reply to #118066)

Puddle Jumper

Raleigh NC
Glad you are ok and survived the accident, no one can be sure when $%^#$% happens but it can. My wife and I were traveling back from Lake George in June and we were on the NY State Thruway between Albany and Syracuse, dry weather, no one around, had the cruise on pulling the trailer behind us doing 70mph, we came on a overpass in the middle of nowhere abd water was ppouring out of a gutter down to the highway we were on, next thing I knew, no front end feeling and the backend started squirming. I knew not to touch the brakes and hoped my wife had locked down on the seat and didn't move.. hydroplaning is not a fun thing and another 20 feet of it and I do not know how the outcome would have turned out.. @$%#$happens and you are never really prepared for it, but you try to avoid it. Anyway glad you are going to be ok and good luck for the days ahead.
varyder
Posted 2012-08-10 10:40 AM (#121263 - in reply to #120257)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

handyhiker - 2012-07-26 10:54 AM Thank you Chris for helping me post the pics. My brother took some of these as they were working on me and getting me loaded in the ambulance. My wife took the others when she went to get my personal affects out of the bike. In the first picture, the white car is the one I hit. The one fuel tank ruptured and you can see the gas trail running down the road. As always, please ride safe all!!

No problem HH.  We continually learn from ourselves and others by keeping it in the forefront.  Just the reminders will keep us on our toes, or the road.  It takes courage to talk about these things and to post pictures to boot. 

wingit3611
Posted 2012-08-16 9:45 AM (#121614 - in reply to #120257)

Cruiser

handyhiker - 2012-07-26 10:54 AM Thank you Chris for helping me post the pics. My brother took some of these as they were working on me and getting me loaded in the ambulance. My wife took the others when she went to get my personal affects out of the bike. In the first picture, the white car is the one I hit. The one fuel tank ruptured and you can see the gas trail running down the road. As always, please ride safe all!!

Are you sure the fuel tank ruptured or was it just the gas cap leaking? I had to get mine loaded on a flat bed

because of a flat tire. Tank was almost full. When the bed was tilted gas was running out all over the place.

Scary if the engine & exhaust were hot! I still had the original gas cap.

Ditch
Posted 2012-08-16 12:24 PM (#121624 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Holy Crap, Thank God each day for getting you through this. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you from my family. Thank you for sharing. It is a grim reminder of how quickly things can turn from a great day of riding to clinging on to life, or worse.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, take care.
Todd
handyhiker
Posted 2012-08-20 4:30 PM (#121834 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
My brother said it was the tank leaking. I never saw the bike after the crash so I don't know. I do have some good news if you can call it that, i was able to use a set of crutches today and went 180'. I still can put no weight on my left leg. I see the doc in 2 more weeks so I may be able to start to put some weight on then. J
I known I am still a ways from actually walking. I am getting pretty good with a walker.
Don07tncav
Posted 2012-08-20 5:51 PM (#121837 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Glad to read you're doing better!
kris1956
Posted 2012-08-20 7:48 PM (#121851 - in reply to #120247)

Iron Butt

CoolHandLuke - 2012-07-26 8:27 AM Ken, after seeing the pics that Varyder found, I'm very happy to hear that you're still with us. The good Lord was watching over you on that one.

+1

handyhiker
Posted 2012-08-21 6:40 AM (#121877 - in reply to #121851)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
kris1956 - 2012-08-20 8:48 PM

CoolHandLuke - 2012-07-26 8:27 AM Ken, after seeing the pics that Varyder found, I'm very happy to hear that you're still with us. The good Lord was watching over you on that one.

?+1

Thank you to all for the well wishes. I may never ride a Vision again but my plan is to ride something after I get healed up good. The wife is a little scared about me riding again. I guess I can't blame her. She is the one who sat and had to wait to see if I would pull through. The doctors said it was touch and go for a while. Have to wait and see.
PLEASE RIDE SAFE ALL!!!
8-ball
Posted 2012-08-22 9:15 PM (#121995 - in reply to #118066)

Tourer

Green Bay, WI United States
Glad to here you are on the mend. Sounds like your pushing to walk again and that my Brother is a good thing. Some think you should take it slow but if your able to press on a bit it will have you on your feet quicker. Mind you follow the orders of the medical staff, my point is keep the push on, this also means "Pray until something happens". Glad your making progress and will keep tabs on you. I do share your statement of:
My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather I will skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!

In the faith,

8-ball
Posted 2012-09-13 8:24 PM (#123574 - in reply to #118066)

Tourer

So how is the re-hab going? Been a while since we heard from you?????

handyhiker
Posted 2012-09-16 6:15 AM (#123673 - in reply to #123574)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
8-ball - 2012-09-13 9:24 PM

So how is the re-hab going? Been a while since we heard from you?????

Things are going well. I now do 2.5 hours of rehab 3 times a week
and then my home exercises 3 times a week. I am using just 1 crutch to walk around the house now. No more walker and wheelchair. I can also drive now so I can get out of the house a little. I am doing therapy both in the gym and in the pool. Water therapy is amazing and really helping. I hope about another week and with luck I will walk with no crutches.
Take care and PLEASE RIDE SAFE ALL!!
kris1956
Posted 2012-09-16 6:24 AM (#123674 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Happy to hear you're doing better and up and around.
glighto11
Posted 2012-09-16 9:28 AM (#123685 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Glad to hear that you are up and around. I can imagine how great it must feel to just be able to get in the car and go somewhere on your own, congrats!

Looking at the pics again, I still find it incredible the minimal amount of damage, for a 100MPH impact! The Vision truly is a tank. I believe any lesser bike would have collapsed right around you, making it total unservivable.
handyhiker
Posted 2012-09-16 10:26 AM (#123690 - in reply to #123685)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
glighto11 - 2012-09-16 10:28 AM

Looking at the pics again, I still find it incredible the minimal amount of damage, for a 100MPH impact! The Vision truly is a tank. I believe any lesser bike would have collapsed right around you, making it total unservivable.

From talking to my wife who talked to the cops, I guess the pictures don't show some of the damage to the bike. What you don't see are that the handle bars are only held on by the cables and hoses. If you look at the last pic you can see the bars are laying down. Also the front tire and lower fork legs are loose from the bike. Again, only held on by hoses. From what she told me, the bike went on the hood of the car. I wish there were better pics, actually I wish there were no pics because it never happened, but it is over and now just to heal and move on.
This is the first time I am posting this and it comes from the wife and I having a talk. I will NOT ride again. I can not afford to be injured again with the amount repair work that is in me. I have a rod from my knee to my hip in the right leg, a bolt that runs accross the bottem of my pelvis from side to side and three steel plates to hold the left hip socket in place. I am fighting tendon damage in my left hand, nerve damage in my left leg and a seperated A/C joint in my right shoulder and rotator cuff pain in my left. I am sorry to be saying good bye to riding, but can't take the chance again. I hope that all my friends understand and encourage my decission. I will still be around to check in and I enjoy reading the posts.
Take care all and PLEASE RIDE SAFE!!
lennyb
Posted 2012-09-16 2:38 PM (#123699 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Unfortunate and sad reality that you are forced to face and announce to us. Still good to know that your injuries were not severe enough that we had to hear the story from someone else. All The Best!
RhodeTrip
Posted 2012-09-16 3:35 PM (#123701 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
Wow, just read this and can only wish you the best with your recovery. You and your family will know what is best for you.
Wishing you the best.

Jim

BikerGeek
Posted 2012-09-16 5:50 PM (#123724 - in reply to #118066)

New user

Even though you will not be riding again I believe being active on this site would do us all some good. You can live vicariously through us and we can learn from your years of experience. There is no substitute for "seat time" and we all have room for improvement. Especially me since I am just getting back into the street bike game myself and one of the first posts I read on this site was yours. Glad you are still with us and please keep those words of wisdom coming. I for one will read and heed!
glighto11
Posted 2012-09-16 7:37 PM (#123730 - in reply to #118066)

Iron Butt

Central New York
I fully understand and support your decision. With all that damage already done, another accident would likely cripple you, at best. as great as riding is, you just can't justify that kind of risk.

You are not alone. Each of us face this decision at some point. Every season I ride I fully expect it may be my last. I specifically went from a Goldwing to a Vision because my old joints could no longer tolerate the foot peg position. The spacious Vision floorboards and lower seat has bought me a few years, but I know my 2 wheel miles are numbered. I won't go to three wheels, I'll just settle for four, maybe a rag top.

Anyway, God Bless, and stay on the forum with us.
8-ball
Posted 2012-09-19 7:58 PM (#123947 - in reply to #118066)

Tourer

I support your decision and always ride safe. Just so you know a part of you will always ride with me keeping me safe every time I ride. Hope your doing well with Re-hab, work hard and it will pay off in your recovery. Thought's and Prayers Brother.......

varyder
Posted 2012-09-20 7:09 AM (#123976 - in reply to #118066)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

You're decisions okay with me. You can't ride with the fear of going through that again. Doesn't make you any less of a man either. Keep in mind, we are in a world full of danger, so whatever you do, be safe at it. I've recounted many times events that could have took my life or limb, to keep myself always aware of the dangers.

With that said, live life to the fullest, as your sig says, WOW! What a ride!

Edited by varyder 2012-09-20 7:10 AM
handyhiker
Posted 2012-10-01 3:31 PM (#124512 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
Hay all, I just thought I would give a quick update as to my condition. I AM walking now with no crutches or walker. I have been able to get rid of the wheel chair and hospital bed as well. I have good and bad days, but all in all it is getting better. It really feels good to be able to walk again. It is not the smoothest but at least I can. It is amazing what we take for granted. The first day I was able to walk without a cane or crutches I literaly cried. Not real manly but I did and I don't care. For me that was a huge day!! My therapy is going well and they keep showing me things that are harder and harder to do as I get better. My return to work date as of now is December. That will be 6 months from the accident. Doctor said 6 months to a year so I am at the quick end of it. Oh well, just wanted to pass on the news.
Take care all and ride safe!!
Don07tncav
Posted 2012-10-01 7:00 PM (#124529 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Thanks for the update and happy to hear of your progress!
8-ball
Posted 2012-10-04 6:54 PM (#124680 - in reply to #118066)

Tourer

Your doing well Brother and I am loving your positive attitude, that's what it's all about when your doing rehab. Like I said before keep the PUSH on and never give up. I think you have found a part of yourself you never knew was there....... Just sayin! Thank You for the update and keep working hard........

You and yours are in my thought's and prayers,

handyhiker
Posted 2012-10-05 10:32 AM (#124715 - in reply to #118066)

Cruiser

Akron, Ohio
Rehab is tough for sure. As far as the attitude, I WILL GET BETTER AND BE AS GOOD AS I CAN WITH THE INJURIES I HAVE, THAT IS A FOR SURE!!! I seem to move up in weight on the exercises about every week now and some the reps go up as well. I still walk a little funny, but at least I can walk. Going to see the vascular doctor today about getting the filter removed from the vein in my leg that was put in to catch the blood clot that I had while in the hospital. With luck, this will be the last cut and then just work on healing and rehab.
Ride Safe All and Enjoy Life!!
Ken
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™