You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

beaten up by wind
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

mjr
Posted 2013-06-14 7:10 PM (#140488)
Subject: beaten up by wind

New user

my wife is getting beat up badly by the wind on our new Arlen Ness victory,she can't even look around any suggestion please, seems to b coming right over the mirrors and nailing her from both sides!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2013-06-14 7:29 PM (#140489 - in reply to #140488)
Subject: RE: beaten up by wind

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Which model of bike and what do you have on it in the way of windshields, etc?

Ronnie
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2013-06-14 7:36 PM (#140490 - in reply to #140488)
Subject: Re: beaten up by wind

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Best thing to do is get a car. NOT a convertible though. It's a motorcycle. By design that means WIND. No matter what you do!
mjr
Posted 2013-06-14 8:12 PM (#140492 - in reply to #140489)

New user

it is a 2012 Arlen Ness, with the Arlen Ness wind shield,no add ons yet,come off of a 2005 Vulcan Nomad which was much better for the passenger
BillyJoe
Posted 2013-06-14 8:54 PM (#140494 - in reply to #140488)

Cruiser

, AR United States
The Ness windshield is pretty low right? My wife didn't like her first ride on my Vision, it helped a little when I raised the windshield, but she wasn't really satisfied until the trunk was installed. I think she had a fear of falling off backward. The trunk changes the air flow some and so do the upper deflectors. I suppose a tall windshield would be anti-Ness, but maybe a flip windshield and modifying the passenger seat lower would help.
Lotzafun
Posted 2013-06-14 9:06 PM (#140496 - in reply to #140488)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I've seen some fairly huge windshields on Nomads. Going from a full shield to the short Ness shield is quite the difference. Try a taller shield and see if that makes her happier. They can be had on Ebay at a reasonable price (cheaper than the dealer)
rdbudd
Posted 2013-06-14 11:02 PM (#140501 - in reply to #140492)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
mjr - 2013-06-14 8:12 PM

it is a 2012 Arlen Ness, with the Arlen Ness wind shield,no add ons yet,come off of a 2005 Vulcan Nomad which was much better for the passenger

That cool looking Ness shorty windshield doesn't offer a lot of wind protection for the passenger. I would guess it is a lot shorter than the one on the Nomad too? There's lots of windshield options and you need a taller one to give your wife some protection. The stock 17.5 inch windshield on our Vision does a pretty good job for us. She gets some wind with it down (which she likes when in slow traffic in hot weather), but not much with it up (which she likes when we're out on the open road).

In other words, a shield in the 17 or 18 inch range would probably solve the buffeting.

Ronnie
Newfie
Posted 2013-06-15 10:48 AM (#140509 - in reply to #140501)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
rdbudd - 2013-06-14 10:02 PM

.... In other words, a shield in the 17 or 18 inch range would probably solve the buffeting. ....

Ronnie

+1
My co-pilot noticed a significant improvement for her comfort when I installed the 2" taller shield on our vision. It is a good fit for us because I can still see over it when it is lowered for around town riding but gives much less buffeting for her when it is raised for highway riding.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-06-15 6:08 PM (#140517 - in reply to #140488)

Visionary

20 inch windshield. Any thing smaller the wind goes over your head and hits you on your back. Taller is better
Joker
Posted 2013-06-15 8:29 PM (#140519 - in reply to #140488)

Cruiser

Buford, GA United States
I came off a Nomad and she complained until I bought the tall windshield but I turned over 64,000 miles today and I had to wake her up to show her.
Tims_11Vision
Posted 2013-06-16 5:53 AM (#140523 - in reply to #140488)

Cruiser

Lexington Park, MD
Lots of suggestions but my money wold be on a 17" 7jurock shield. I'm completely satisfied as is my 2nd passenger now with the wind management of the 15" but 17will surely give you what you need. Got a better look too IMHO over the stock and does very well when full down.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-06-16 12:04 PM (#140533 - in reply to #140488)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
+1
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-07 9:37 PM (#149447 - in reply to #140494)

Glendale, AZ United States
Cee Baileys makes an aftermarket windshield for the vision. It is made from aircraft grade acrylic in either clear or lightly tinted. The sizes range from 14" to 22." Cee Baileys is extremely popular with the IBA guys and I would venture to say there is a reason for that. Check them out if you haven't purchased a taller windshield as yet.
Boots
Posted 2013-12-07 10:43 PM (#149452 - in reply to #140488)

Tourer

New Mexico
My wife is now used to it, but when we first got the Vision she noticed the wind was a little worse because she sits up a little higher. Perhaps some foam taken out of the passenger seat area to lower her an inch or so?

Edited by Boots 2013-12-07 10:44 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-12-08 10:43 AM (#149461 - in reply to #140492)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

mjr - 2013-06-14 9:12 PM it is a 2012 Arlen Ness, with the Arlen Ness wind shield,no add ons yet,come off of a 2005 Vulcan Nomad which was much better for the passenger

There were 3 Ness bikes, each made by a different Ness.  The Vision, Cross Country Tour and Cross Country all had Ness versions.  Assuming you really have an ARLEN Ness bike (unless you're using "Arlen Ness" generically), it's the Vision.  As others have said, buy a taller windshield.

rdbudd
Posted 2013-12-08 10:45 AM (#149462 - in reply to #149452)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Boots - 2013-12-07 10:43 PM

My wife is now used to it, but when we first got the Vision she noticed the wind was a little worse because she sits up a little higher. Perhaps some foam taken out of the passenger seat area to lower her an inch or so?

A couple of the things that MY wife likes so well about the Vision, compared to the Goldwing that we had before, is the fact that she does sit a little higher and can see OVER my head instead of looking at the back of it. Another thing she likes better about the Vision is the adjustable windshield that lets her get some air in hot weather and get protection in cold or wet weather.

I'm pretty certain that taking an inch of padding out of HER perch would not be received very well. YMMV.

Why not just get a taller windshield?

Ronnie
Boots
Posted 2013-12-08 12:29 PM (#149463 - in reply to #149462)

Tourer

New Mexico
rdbudd - 2013-12-08 9:45 AM

Boots - 2013-12-07 10:43 PM

A couple of the things that MY wife likes so well about the Vision, compared to the Goldwing that we had before, is the fact that she does sit a little higher and can see OVER my head instead of looking at the back of it. Another thing she likes better about the Vision is the adjustable windshield that lets her get some air in hot weather and get protection in cold or wet weather.

I'm pretty certain that taking an inch of padding out of HER perch would not be received very well. YMMV.

Why not just get a taller windshield?

Ronnie

Yes, I agree on all points. Just trying to give some options.
Turk
Posted 2013-12-09 8:44 AM (#149496 - in reply to #149447)

Iron Butt

Vladezip - 2013-12-07 9:37 PM

Cee Baileys makes an aftermarket windshield for the vision. It is made from aircraft grade acrylic in either clear or lightly tinted. The sizes range from 14" to 22." Cee Baileys is extremely popular with the IBA guys and I would venture to say there is a reason for that. Check them out if you haven't purchased a taller windshield as yet.

I have both a 7jurock 17" lightly tinted shield along with Cee Bailey's 16" dark tint screen, currently mounted on the bike. The 7jurock is wider than stock at the top, and provides excellent coverage. Were I to buy again, I would probably get the 18" to keep a little more wind off of my tall GF. It can still be lowered below my line of sight. The Cee Bailey's at 16" is a very nice shield that matches the OEM size, and it looks awesome in dark tint. The problem I have with anything taller than that from Cee Bailey's, is the shape they use to get vertical height. They extend out the lower "narrow" portion of the shield, instead of lengthening the wider portion. The shape looks funny to me, like a mushroom stalk and head. I wouldn't go any taller than 16" from Cee Bailey purely based on that aesthetic. You can see it in some of their online pics. Compare that to the 7jurock pics. If 7jurock offered a dark tint option, I would get that vs. Cee Bailey's for anything over 16" !

That being said, I could probably be coerced into selling the 7jurock, I just prefer the dark tinted Cee Bailey, purely for the look of the dark tint.

Edited by Turk 2013-12-09 8:59 AM
Vladezip
Posted 2013-12-09 9:18 PM (#149519 - in reply to #149496)

Glendale, AZ United States
Turk - 2013-12-09 7:44 AM

Vladezip - 2013-12-07 9:37 PM

I have both a 7jurock 17" lightly tinted shield along with Cee Bailey's 16" dark tint screen, currently mounted on the bike. The 7jurock is wider than stock at the top, and provides excellent coverage. Were I to buy again, I would probably get the 18" to keep a little more wind off of my tall GF. It can still be lowered below my line of sight. The Cee Bailey's at 16" is a very nice shield that matches the OEM size, and it looks awesome in dark tint. The problem I have with anything taller than that from Cee Bailey's, is the shape they use to get vertical height. They extend out the lower "narrow" portion of the shield, instead of lengthening the wider portion. The shape looks funny to me, like a mushroom stalk and head. I wouldn't go any taller than 16" from Cee Bailey purely based on that aesthetic. You can see it in some of their online pics. Compare that to the 7jurock pics. If 7jurock offered a dark tint option, I would get that vs. Cee Bailey's for anything over 16" !

That being said, I could probably be coerced into selling the 7jurock, I just prefer the dark tinted Cee Bailey, purely for the look of the dark tint.

I think either option would be a good choice. I am about 6 feet 2 inches and have the stock shield now. I ride all year around here in AZ and have been happy with the wind protection. I agree the Cee Baileys looks like a mushroom for the taller sizes, but for me I am more concerned about utility/function as opposed to asthetics. I have a couple of buddies that have the Cee Baileys and that's all they roll with for years. I'm not sure about the tint, since in the summers, but all year long I do quite a bit of riding at night. Thanks for the info.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-12-15 2:41 PM (#149693 - in reply to #140488)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
If you're speaking of a Vision, I do recommend getting the standard or even the large windscreen and also installing the lower wind wings/vents.
It will make a huge difference.
Does the Ness Vision have an electrically adjustable windscreen?
atvtinker
Posted 2013-12-16 4:05 AM (#149708 - in reply to #140488)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Try looking at the Gustaffson Flip windshield. You can keep the look of the shorty windshield and the "flip" will perform like a taller shield. I have the 15 1/2" on my Vision and it works really well. http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=5744

Edited by atvtinker 2013-12-16 4:09 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™