You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Riding Protocol Hand Signals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-17 7:37 AM (#143084)
Subject: Riding Protocol Hand Signals

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey fellow riders

Speed boy started a thread about a specific hand gesture. This trigger an interest in me to reach to everyone to get feedback on hand signal protocol e.g. Group riding signals, hazards, pedestrian/jogger, bicyclist etc..please limit the input to a family rated comments 😀
Top of the page Bottom of the page
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-17 8:19 AM (#143085 - in reply to #143084)
Subject: Re: Riding Protocol Hand Signals

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Even with our giant turn signals if a car is behind me I give hand signals for stopping and turning. I also do this if I'm running in a pack of bikes. The motion of your arm gets attention..............
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-08-17 7:03 PM (#143108 - in reply to #143084)

Visionary

sport bikes and my self will pat the top of our heads when cops are up there
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-17 8:13 PM (#143112 - in reply to #143084)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks guys....I started to do more group and charity rides. I've seen riders either point done with their hand or foot when there is road debris, potholes etc. one signal I've found confusing is when coming up on a pedestrian or bicyclist some riders raise their left arm up bending it perpendicular at the elbow a.k.a a right turn. One signal I'CE used successfully when someone is following too close is left arm down with palm towards the offender while making a push BAC motion. I've been pleasantly surprised that the drivers have backed off. The one hand movement that a number of HD riders ignore is a simple reciprocal wave hello 👋
Godspeed
Posted 2013-08-19 5:14 PM (#143203 - in reply to #143084)

Cruiser

Denver, Iowa
I've learned from the riders on the Dragon that patting the top of your head means there's some Smokies takin' pictures just ahead.
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-08-19 5:56 PM (#143204 - in reply to #143084)
Subject: RE: Riding Protocol Hand Signals

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Found this..

(Safety%201.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Safety%201.jpg (100KB - 1 downloads)
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-19 6:24 PM (#143206 - in reply to #143084)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Nice!...thanks Nozzledog. Seeing the signal for the pedestrian/bicyclist now makes sense to me. I was confusing it for a right hand turn.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-08-19 6:41 PM (#143208 - in reply to #143084)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
its been my personal experience that hand signals are almost Useless in this day and age... NOT that hand signals are useless..! There are just too many distracted people (cagers) or too many Newbie's that dont have the first clue what the hand signals mean.. I know this isnt right.. but it is what it is... i belonged to a few BIG motorcycle groups and i was shocked how many of those members, (even the older ones) had no idea what hand signals meant!! did they drop that from the motorcycle safety course here in PA? i have been been the tail gunner on most rights and watched the leader give a hand signal and NO ONE followed what he was telling them all.. even though we gave them a brief (hand signals 101 lesson) .. Peoples attention span now a days is too short to either remember, or understand what you are doing... I still use them... even if i am the only one that understand what they mean... =(
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-19 9:01 PM (#143231 - in reply to #143084)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I'll signal (or pass along a signal) if I can but I won't risk getting in wreck (and probably taking out everyone behind me) just to signal. Hopefully, they're paying enough attention that they'll follow suit when I swerve. That said, I was leading a pack of 3 today and pointed out a couple things on the shoulder of the road. Wasn't anything the other 2 riders would have hit but it was the right thing to do. If I'm not in a group, I don't signal anything other than cops (to bikers going the other way). If I'm on a local ride, I generally know the area and get sweep duties alot so there's nobody for me to signal anyway. Feels kinda funny signalling something then realizing there's nobody behind me. /sheepish grin/
Guntown Drifter
Posted 2013-08-22 6:48 AM (#143363 - in reply to #143084)
Subject: RE: Riding Protocol Hand Signals

Puddle Jumper

I have a hand signal I used in the last interstate trip I did with a small group. First I briefed them before the trip. I raise my left arm and point my index finger in the air and spin it in a circle a few times, another is two fingers in the air and spin it. Now If you know when you gotta go to the restroom and don't want to alarm the others and let them know other then a bathroom break everything is cool it works great. I find it that I am not the only one who has to service the plumbing..lol.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-08-26 7:28 PM (#143612 - in reply to #143085)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area

XRsteve - 2013-08-17 9:19 AM Even with our giant turn signals if a car is behind me I give hand signals for stopping and turning. I also do this if I'm running in a pack of bikes. The motion of your arm gets attention..............

You must be Canadian.  I was just up in Sudbury Canada where everyone used hand signals in addition to turn signals. 

MaddMAx2u
Posted 2013-08-26 8:03 PM (#143613 - in reply to #143084)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
NOt sure this will come thru but.....here goes. REAL LIFE Motorcycle Signals

(539628_343880052391173_1601228451_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 539628_343880052391173_1601228451_n.jpg (50KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™