You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Boots
Posted 2013-08-19 7:24 AM (#143184)
Subject: Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?

Tourer

New Mexico
In a few weeks we are riding to Chicago for a couple of days. I haven't been since I was a young sailor 30 years ago, so am thinking a few things may have changed. Plus I've decided the activities of yore are not appealing to me today (well, wife decided!) so am going in with no good plan on what to do, where to eat/stay, good roads, etc. We want to be close to Wrigley, and I prefer to stay at Marriott's, but looks too expensive in the downtown area.

We will only have two days in Chicago, then heading to Cleveland for two days, then back to New Mexico. I know we are going to catch a Cubs game at Wrigley Field, and maybe a Cleveland Indians game, but nothing planned beyond that.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Boots 2013-08-19 7:26 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ingle51
Posted 2013-08-19 8:38 PM (#143222 - in reply to #143184)
Subject: RE: Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?

Cruiser

NE Florida Jacksonville
Body armor and a 45.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-19 8:51 PM (#143225 - in reply to #143184)
Subject: RE: Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Boots - 2013-08-19 8:24 AM

Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?

Yeah. Don't go. I'd sooner travel 100 miles out of the way as ride through the Windy City. Between traffic and murders, it's not exactly the vacation spot of a lifetime. Watch the ball game on TV.
adirondacks
Posted 2013-08-19 10:34 PM (#143240 - in reply to #143184)
Subject: Re: Heading to Chicago - Suggestions?

Tourer

Troy, NY
I travel there on a Saturday around Noon time. The traffic was like it was rush hour on a holiday weekend. I wouldn't ride there again. Fly and take cabs if you want to see the Windy City again.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-19 11:05 PM (#143241 - in reply to #143240)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
adirondacks - 2013-08-19 11:34 PM

I travel there on a Saturday around Noon time. The traffic was like it was rush hour on a holiday weekend.

Even native Chicagoans will tell you there's only 2 seasons. Winter and rush hour. I used to drive a truck (and got paid by the map mile not the actual mile). If I had to go from Indiana to Wisconsin, I'd detour around Chicago. It would take less time to go 100 miles out of my way than it would to run through the middle of town. May be one of the reasons I absolutely HATE traffic now. Can't stand it. Gives me a panic attack sometimes.
Lotzafun
Posted 2013-08-20 10:28 AM (#143255 - in reply to #143184)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
As already stated....Chicago SUCKS for traffic....and its worse on a bike. Forget about parking anywhere for less than $20+. You are best to take the "L" trains and cabs to go anywhere downtown, cheaper and a lot less stress. The Red Line train goes past Wrigley with a stop at Addison station. You can save some money and stress by getting a hotel out by Woodfield Mall. And there is a shuttle that runs from Woodfield to Wrigley.

As far as food choices there is the whole gamut from $125+ steakhouses to $10 hotdog stands. Some say that you haven't done Chicago until you done a true Chicago Style hotdog. Just don't try to order any with ketchup....

Remember.........the best view of Chicago is out your rear view mirror.

Boots
Posted 2013-08-20 11:17 AM (#143258 - in reply to #143255)

Tourer

New Mexico
Lotzafun - 2013-08-20 9:28 AM

As already stated....Chicago SUCKS for traffic....and its worse on a bike. Forget about parking anywhere for less than $20+. You are best to take the "L" trains and cabs to go anywhere downtown, cheaper and a lot less stress. The Red Line train goes past Wrigley with a stop at Addison station. You can save some money and stress by getting a hotel out by Woodfield Mall. And there is a shuttle that runs from Woodfield to Wrigley.

As far as food choices there is the whole gamut from $125+ steakhouses to $10 hotdog stands. Some say that you haven't done Chicago until you done a true Chicago Style hotdog. Just don't try to order any with ketchup....

Remember.........the best view of Chicago is out your rear view mirror.

Thanks. I forgot they had mass transit. Was really wanting to stay downtown to soak up the whole experience, but looks like the outskirts might be the answer. Will check into Woodfield Mall.

And due to the other responses, my expectations have dropped a tad. The only big city I really dislike is LA - Can't be that bad, right?? Heck, I even enjoyed NYC!
Hopefully will find something fun/exciting to store in the memory banks for my old(er) age.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™