You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

HD Death Wobble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

baadawg
Posted 2013-08-31 10:20 PM (#143920)
Subject: HD Death Wobble

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
Anybody hear of this? BTW, it only happens when HD riders get behind the "wheel" of their bikes. Don't do it.

http://www.kpho.com/story/14896060/some-harley-motorcycles-plagued-...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kevinx
Posted 2013-08-31 10:31 PM (#143921 - in reply to #143920)
Subject: RE: HD Death Wobble

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Sensationalist crap. Yes the FLs would wag their tails at high speed, but not below about 75, and the issue was addressed with the updated touring frames in the mid 2000's. there are several companies making eliminating kits
Chef John
Posted 2013-08-31 10:40 PM (#143923 - in reply to #143920)
Subject: Re: HD Death Wobble

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
Just another good reason to own a Victory !
Allen_B
Posted 2013-09-01 9:29 AM (#143934 - in reply to #143920)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
I agree that the story was a bit sensationalized but I can say from personal experience that if the head bearings aren't torqued per spec they will wobble...

On decel and about 40-50 MPH, my Fatboy would shake like a Chihuahua shitting a peach pit; tighten the bearings and all fixed. My Electraglide would do the same but at highway speeds. Never a full-blown tank slapper but more than enough to scare the daylights outta me.

/r

Allen
V92SC
Posted 2013-09-01 10:04 AM (#143935 - in reply to #143934)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
ssI know of a couple HD owner/riders that mentioned the Death Wooble and one that was in a serious accident as the result of same. Kawasaki 1969-77 triples suffered from a death wooble attributed to the steering head geometry. I agree that unmaintained steering head bearings can cause it ,ut also swingarm bushings along with misaligned frames. HD siad it was because the mounted the engine solidly and that maybe partially true. Most companies, especially if the engine is a stressed member of the chassis, are solid mounted without the accompanying death wooble associated with their products. But it's HD, go figure.
Boots
Posted 2013-09-01 10:15 AM (#143936 - in reply to #143920)

Tourer

New Mexico
Yes, I've heard of it. My brother was about to buy a Harley 'Switchback', and found this issue well 'documented' on HD forums. He ended up with a 1300 V-Star and is very happy with it.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-09-01 11:33 AM (#143938 - in reply to #143936)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I've heard of it, but not at low speeds with the Harleys. I've witnessed high speed wobbles several times, but they are caused by aerodynamics and fork mounted fairings or windshields.

I had a Yamaha that would wobble over about 95-100 MPH. I eventually figured out that the windshield was causing it (took it off and no more wobble).

The older Goldwings were famous for low speed wobbles if you let go of the handlebars at about 40 MPH. They would also wallow in turns like a pig in mud (the GL1800's eliminated that).

It ain't just Harleys.

Ronnie
kevinx
Posted 2013-09-01 1:56 PM (#143949 - in reply to #143920)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Issue would not happen to the switch back, and stems from solid mounting a swing arm mount to a rubber mounter driveline. That system was abandoned at least 5 years ago. That is why they show an 03 badge in the picture. Head bearings are a different thing all together, and a mannor of owner maintenance
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-01 6:48 PM (#143965 - in reply to #143920)

Tourer

Central Illinois
It may be "owner maintenance" but I bought a low mileage 2011 FLTRU and experienced the beginnings of a death wobble at 35 to 40 MPH. The bike was still under warranty and the dealer got rid of the issue by tightening the steering head. A new bike with less than 4000 miles on it and less than 6 months old should not be the subject of any "owner maintenance" issue. A new bike should work as set up. It had not even reached its first service interval, those routine services always got done by the dealer when I arrived at the prescribed intervals. I am no wrench but a death wobble is something even I can recognize.
Allen_B
Posted 2013-09-01 7:13 PM (#143968 - in reply to #143949)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
kevinx - 2013-09-01 2:56 PM

Issue would not happen to the switch back, and stems from solid mounting a swing arm mount to a rubber mounter driveline. That system was abandoned at least 5 years ago. That is why they show an 03 badge in the picture. Head bearings are a different thing all together, and a mannor of owner maintenance

I agree with you that many of the issues are "owner maintenance". The problem is too few owners know what that means.

In their ignorance and neglect, some wind up losing control and eating an asphalt sammich...

With that said, I still think that the older HD touring frames were trouble at speed and I rode one for quite a while- I just knew what to expect. Don't know enough about the newer frames to have an opinion but they have to be an improvement. This is just one of many reasons I bought a Vision instead of a Road Glide or EGlide Ultra...

/r

Allen
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™