You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Tour or XCT
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Victorydecision
Posted 2013-09-16 6:19 PM (#144562)
Subject: Vision Tour or XCT

Puddle Jumper

I am in the market fr a new bike and I have narrowed my decision down to either the Vision Tour or the Cross Country Tour. I am currently partial to the XCT, but will have to have my wife's buy in on what I end up getting. Can anyone tell me which bike will be better for long rides with the wife? I am sure whichever i better for that will be fine when I am riding solo.

Thanks a bunch,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-16 6:30 PM (#144564 - in reply to #144562)
Subject: Re: Vision Tour or XCT

Visionary

Vision no winers here about wind buffeting
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-16 7:03 PM (#144569 - in reply to #144562)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
A bit more legroom on the Vision as you can stretch your legs out all the way. Better air management and you can adjust the windscreen on the fly. Lowers on the Vision ($250 from Victory) should be mandatory even though they detract slightly from the looks. The stereo display is a bit difficult to read on the Vision compared to the XCT. Luggage capacity isn't too bad on the Vision but doesn't come close to the XCT. XCT trunk is a QR while the Vision requires the removal for 4 bolts and the seat. Easy 10 minute job but not as easy as the XCT. I love my Vision but if I stay with Victory for my next bike, it might be a XCT.
mrbill65
Posted 2013-09-16 7:32 PM (#144571 - in reply to #144562)

Puddle Jumper

That is funny I was in your boat just last month. I took my wife to a demo days put her on the back of both I would have been happy with either but the wife was happier with the vision so on the second of August I made arrangements to buy a 2013 goldmist and I picked it up on the sixth. I couldn't be happier and the wife loves the vision she can ride for hours even in cooler weather. She loves the heated seat and the wind protection. Her only compliant is she doesn't have a cup holder. As of tonight I have 1970 miles. Not badfor a month and a half.

Mrbill65
2013 Goldmist Vision
rdbudd
Posted 2013-09-16 8:25 PM (#144575 - in reply to #144562)
Subject: RE: Vision Tour or XCT

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Both are good choices and it will come down to the specifics you are looking for.

We have a 2008 Vision Tour Premium that we bought new. This past summer, we took a Cross Country Tour out for an extended test ride to see if there was anything we were missing by having a Vision. The increased saddlebag storage capacity of the CCT was the main attraction. The differences between the Vision and the CCT weren't huge, but there were some that we noticed.

From my perspective, the Vision handles better--feels more stable, especially in turbulent air, such as passing a semi-truck. Sidewinds also seem to affect the CCT more than the Vision. I would guess that the differences here are due to the frame mounted fairing of the Vision vs the fork mounted fairing of the CCT.

From my wife's perspective, she thought she got more wind buffeting on the CCT. Also, and this is a biggie for her, the CCT does not have a power adjustable windshield. She absolutely loves the Vision's power windshield and its ability to vary the amount of air she gets. For that matter, so do I.

We both liked the larger saddlebags of the CCT.

We're keeping the Vision.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2013-09-16 8:28 PM
Bashcars
Posted 2013-09-16 9:20 PM (#144580 - in reply to #144562)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
My wife is 5'4" and has some muscle issues. When we looked at both, she could get on the Vision much easier. I am 6'4" and there was no question the Vision was a better fit for me. Maybe it is because my last bike (03 Honda ST1300) had a power windshield, but I don't know if I can ever go without that. Take them both for extended test rides (at least 45 min each).
airguy
Posted 2013-09-17 6:46 AM (#144586 - in reply to #144562)

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
Talk to people that have had both. Most would say the Vision, hands down.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-17 7:32 AM (#144587 - in reply to #144562)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
this has been talked about before. if you do a search you will see many threads on this.. I am self in 2011 was getting rid of my 2008 vision... i ended up getting a 2011 vision as the XCT wasnt all i thought it would be.... the only advantage it had over the vision was increased storage. but the vision having a frame mounted fairing is a BIG DEAL..
Desert Dave
Posted 2013-09-17 10:54 AM (#144595 - in reply to #144562)

Puddle Jumper

Sent you a PM
D2
GURNZ
Posted 2013-09-17 11:21 AM (#144597 - in reply to #144562)

Cruiser

Spfld, IL but temp Bay area, CA
If the wife must sign off on what you get, you will be buying a Vision.
My gf and I rode a CCT a few months ago mainly because of the added storage capacity.
She did not care for the vibration she felt on the CCT which is not noticeable at all on my 08 Vision tour premium.
I could have dealt with the slightly worse handling of the CCT for the added storage, but she says no way due to the vibration.
a99miata
Posted 2013-09-17 1:37 PM (#144599 - in reply to #144562)

Tourer

northwest florida
not that we are bias here but the vision is the better bike!
bigdogtx
Posted 2013-09-17 1:46 PM (#144601 - in reply to #144562)

Cruiser

Tried both on demo day, and went with the Vision. My SO says it is even more comfortable for her than the Wing. Less wind and we still have the stock seat, but had to go with a custom seat on the wing. The Vision sure amazes me on just how well it handles.
RhodeTrip
Posted 2013-09-17 5:31 PM (#144610 - in reply to #144562)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
Vision is the best all around touring bike in my opinion. Having said that, I traded my Vision on XC in June; wife won't ride so I am limited to 1 week and a few long weekends a year. The plane XC was a better all around bike for me, I wanted a little less weight and more air flow. The bottom line is you have to ride them both and pick the one that feels best to you and the wife.
Jim
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-17 5:53 PM (#144612 - in reply to #144562)

Tourer

Vision is absolutely the way to go for long distance touring and highway trips...Wind protection, stability, handling, passenger comfort are all better on the Vision...IMHO...If you feel the need to pack the "sink" then the CCT has larger bags etc...Having ridden them both for periods of time, I always go back to the Vision...Personal choice is all that really matters as it is your money......
g1nomad
Posted 2013-09-19 1:50 PM (#144689 - in reply to #144562)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
How hard is it to change the headlight bulb on a XCT? Rumor has it, I might want to trade in my Vision when the headlamp burns out.

This is an interesting topic, because I want more storage, but I love the Vision's handling. I haven't test drove a XC.

Edited by g1nomad 2013-09-19 1:52 PM
jimtom
Posted 2013-09-19 2:15 PM (#144690 - in reply to #144575)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Vision is a distance runner, power windshield, frame mounted fairing for greater stability and balance. My wife has done a saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 19 hours in our case) as a passenger. Comes up short in the storage department compared to the CCT saddlebags is the only downside.

Edited by jimtom 2013-09-19 2:16 PM
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-19 3:45 PM (#144694 - in reply to #144690)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
jimtom - 2013-09-19 2:15 PM

Vision is a distance runner, power windshield, frame mounted fairing for greater stability and balance. My wife has done a saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 19 hours in our case) as a passenger. Comes up short in the storage department compared to the CCT saddlebags is the only downside.

I agree 100% with jimtom........
rdbudd
Posted 2013-09-19 5:01 PM (#144696 - in reply to #144690)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
jimtom - 2013-09-19 2:15 PM

Yep!! "Comes up short in the storage department compared to the CCT saddlebags" is the definitive statement. The Vision actually has adequate storage, but packing it effectively takes a more judicious approach. With only the addition of a roll bag on the luggage rack, we pack as much on our Vision as can be carried on a GL1800 Goldwing, using only the internal storage capacity. The Goldwing is easier to pack/unpack, due to the design of the Vision's saddlebag openings. They are smaller than the actual interior capacity. That is the design flaw in the Vision's storage capacity. The openings are smaller than the saddlebags' actual capacity, which makes the bag liners not very useful, and requires more planning to pack. Carefully packed, they will hold quite a bit.

The saddlebags on the CCT are freaking huge, the biggest in the industry, and they are easy to access. In every other category (leaving style aside) the Vision is the better long distance tourer, IMHO.

Ronnie
bigd2013vv
Posted 2013-09-20 8:55 AM (#144718 - in reply to #144562)

Puddle Jumper

Hendersonville, NC
This is my experience, about a month ago i went to the nearest dealer and checked out both set on both the wife and i both then rode both, took out the cct first im 6'5" so for me i was slightly cramped didn't feel it something wasn't right so then we went out on the 13 vision and as soon as i set on it it was wow, i could't believe the difference, it was definetely the one for me completely stock and i was comfortably stretched out, like a few others have mentioned the size of the bags are quite smaller but a lil imagination and you'll be surprised what all you can pack in the compartments, best advise anyone gave me was to take your time check them both out and you will know which one is the right one. I have had my Vision all over the twisties from the rattler to the dragons tail to the rattle snake to the parkway and the Vision handles like its on rails, i ride hard when i get to the twisties and probably push it a lil to much but it just keeps wanting more , i am so very glad i purchased the vision, I can't wait to jump back in the saddle and go anywhere.
jimtom
Posted 2013-09-20 9:09 AM (#144719 - in reply to #144718)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I did something similar. I rode the CCT, got right off of it and on a Vision. I knew it as soon as I let out the clutch which one was the bike for me. On the CCT, I had to slow before getting on teh highway. I had to put my feet down and duck walk it because I lost balance. In teh exact same scenerio on the Vision , I didn't have to put my feet down at all. Almost came to a complete stop , feet on the boards the whole time! Ironically, I'm 5'6" and feel the Vision is a good fit. The design of this bike makes it almost universal to all different types and sizes! Every individual , whether 5 foot something or 6 foot something say "they must have made this bike just for me "
Wharf_rat
Posted 2013-09-20 9:42 AM (#144720 - in reply to #144718)

Cruiser

Republic of Texas
bigd2013vv - 2013-09-20 8:55 AM

This is my experience, about a month ago i went to the nearest dealer and checked out both set on both the wife and i both then rode both, took out the cct first im 6'5" so for me i was slightly cramped didn't feel it something wasn't right so then we went out on the 13 vision and as soon as i set on it it was wow, i could't believe the difference, it was definetely the one for me completely stock and i was comfortably stretched out, like a few others have mentioned the size of the bags are quite smaller but a lil imagination and you'll be surprised what all you can pack in the compartments, best advise anyone gave me was to take your time check them both out and you will know which one is the right one. I have had my Vision all over the twisties from the rattler to the dragons tail to the rattle snake to the parkway and the Vision handles like its on rails, i ride hard when i get to the twisties and probably push it a lil to much but it just keeps wanting more , i am so very glad i purchased the vision, I can't wait to jump back in the saddle and go anywhere.

Just for different opinion.
I am 5' 10", 190. 31" inseam with a fair amount of time on a GW. First time I sat on a Vision = Wow! Rather than stretching to the ground on my toes, I could finally get a good grip on the pavement.

I did ride the XCT and it does ride good. But, the Vision is for me. Big, but nimble. You sort of sit "in" a Vision rather than on it.

Victorydecision
Posted 2013-09-20 6:06 PM (#144741 - in reply to #144562)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for all of the great info. We went and sat on both bikes today and she likes the Cross Country Tour better than the Vision. She says the Vision is to big and is an old mans bike. LOL. We are driving down to Cincinnati area in October and will meet up with the demo tour and take both of them for a ride. we'll see if she changes her mind then.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-09-20 8:38 PM (#144746 - in reply to #144741)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
"Vision is an old man's bike". That's a new one. Most people who object to the Vision claim it is because the styling is too "futuristic".

You guys can't go wrong with either bike, but if you anticipate doing long trips, be sure to try out the Vision's features that make long trips more enjoyable, such as the power windshield. You can lower it to get more air when it's hot outside and raise it to keep the air off you when it is cold or raining. Try to get in some miles at highway speeds with a crosswind blowing and pretend you're going to cross Kansas in those conditions, paying attention to the amount of turbulence you feel, and the way the bike feels to you as the pilot. (Think 400 miles of strong gusting crosswinds). Those kinds of things. These bikes are ready and willing to do 500 to 700 mile days, riding two-up, and loaded for two weeks on the road. It's the small things that you'll notice on rides like that. Once you get one of these things, rides like that are going to be in your plans.

Ronnie
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-20 8:56 PM (#144747 - in reply to #144562)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I would venture to say that if she has the opportunity to see the Vision in bagger dress (trunkless) she might change her opinion
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-20 9:57 PM (#144749 - in reply to #144746)

Tourer

Central Illinois

rdbudd - 2013-09-20 8:38 PM "Vision is an old man's bike". That's a new one. Most people who object to the Vision claim it is because the styling is too "futuristic".  

Ronnie

You bet it is an old man's bike. This old man for one.  A couple of weeks ago I did a two up ride from central Illinois to Niagara Falls Ontario. We carried a week of clothing changes, some spare shoes and each of our portable computers with no trouble. Who needs more storage than that? We were both comfortable the whole way there and back. On the way to the falls we went through Indiana, Michigan and Ontario to get there. It let us skip the Chicago traffic. On the way back we went south through NY, PA and OH so that I could stop in Dayton OH to get my 5000 miles service done. Today, less than 2  weeks later I am at 6300 miles and at least that many smiles.

The Vision will handle with almost any bike on the road, not racers but road bikes. It also has plenty of get up and go and can be readily modified to be incredibly powerful. I have not chosen that path because I find the engine has more power than I really need and I am a tour rider, not a racer. 

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™