You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Vision LED tail lights
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Hvic
Posted 2013-10-15 12:52 PM (#146721)
Subject: Custom Vision LED tail lights

Puddle Jumper

Hello,
Also posted on the VOG.

Just for giggles I built some LED tail lights for my Vision, quite pleased with them. Here's a comparison of the stock and custom lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPFYl3ka2cg&feature=youtu.be

Hugh
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Prostreet1
Posted 2013-10-15 1:20 PM (#146722 - in reply to #146721)
Subject: RE: Custom Vision LED tail lights

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
Nice Job....
ScoreBo
Posted 2013-10-15 1:35 PM (#146724 - in reply to #146721)
Subject: Re: Custom Vision LED tail lights

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I assume when you brake and the turn signal is on, the opposite side lights up like it did when you braked earlier?

Edited by ScoreBo 2013-10-15 1:35 PM
Hvic
Posted 2013-10-15 3:47 PM (#146727 - in reply to #146721)

Puddle Jumper

Hello,

Yes, if you brake and turn, the non-turn side flashes and lights just like the brake by itself and the turn side does the turn pattern.

It was a great experience for me because I was able to do a few things I've wanted to do for a while - learn how to design high-current switching power supplies, learn how to program a particular line of microcontroller, and learn how to program pulse-width-modulation.

Hugh

Edited by Hvic 2013-10-15 3:47 PM
lova
Posted 2013-10-15 4:56 PM (#146731 - in reply to #146721)

Cruiser

how much?
cw1115
Posted 2013-10-15 6:05 PM (#146737 - in reply to #146721)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Cruise control still work?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-10-15 7:22 PM (#146739 - in reply to #146721)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
good job!!
Hvic
Posted 2013-10-15 9:03 PM (#146741 - in reply to #146721)

Puddle Jumper

Hello,

Yes, the cruise control still works. There were a number of electrical oddities I finally figured out, Victory does some weird stuff on a couple of the lamps like lifting the ground instead of lifting the supply voltage (not normal!). I ended up with two termination resistors per side - one low wattage to terminate one of the lamps that "floats" when it's not on, confusing the logic, and another high wattage to reduce the turn flash to it's normal rate since the front is still incandescent (which eventually will be changed).

As far as price, this set is the prototype and as a result has more wiring harness labor and a more expensive power supply than is economical for an affordable unit. Example, the power supply / computer board is mounted on the back of one of the LED boards with wiring connecting everything. Feasible but not economical. I'm going to work out doing everything on a single board per side to reduce cost and see what parts and labor will be, at that point I'll post about it again with more info and some pricing.

I have a question for those that care to comment - to get the look requires cutting the rear off the buyer's lamp enclosure. It looks the same from the outside. Does anyone care about that kind of abuse?

Thanks for the positive comments.

Hugh

Edited by Hvic 2013-10-15 9:13 PM
Prostreet1
Posted 2013-10-15 9:13 PM (#146743 - in reply to #146741)

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
I would think that as long as we can keep the lenses watertight that it wouldn't matter?...just my opinion.
Hvic
Posted 2013-10-16 1:10 PM (#146760 - in reply to #146721)

Puddle Jumper

Hello,

Monkeyman on the VOG forum made a valid point about this topic - since my cruise control still works and my flash rate is normal, how about posting the electrical information I gained so others can benefit. Hopefully this will help those working with their own LED Vision solutions.

-------

Good point about the resistor tribal knowledge. To help others here's some information I gleaned through the process -

Each side has three 3157 lamps, each with a dim and a bright filament. Starting from the top I've been referring to them as 1A=dim, 1B=bright, 2A=dim, etc.

Lamp 1B is the flasher and it's a 27W filament. Doing the math, it needs a 6R/50W resistor to reduce the flash rate to normal. Since the fronts have not been changed from incandescent yet I wanted the flash rate to be normal. If you use a higher value resistor to consume less power you'll only reduce the flash rate partially, I decided to use the full 6R.

Lamp 3B (one of the brake lamps) has an odd characteristic, it floats to a non-zero voltage when it's on but it's a high-impedance source. Therefore putting a 470R/1W resistor across it reduced the float voltage to a couple of tenths of a volt with little power consumption, fine for the logic inputs I'm using.

Hope this helps,
Hugh
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-10-16 7:11 PM (#146770 - in reply to #146721)

Visionary

They look great and all the information is nice but it above me. Way to go
DetroitDetomaso
Posted 2013-10-17 2:57 AM (#146773 - in reply to #146721)

Cruiser

Las Vegas
You are the man! Great job.
tmoore
Posted 2013-10-17 1:08 PM (#146785 - in reply to #146741)

Puddle Jumper

Madison/Huntsville, AL

Extraordinary work Hugh.

I'm rarely a fan of anybody's custom lighting.  Still happily running the stock lights on my 8 y/o Vegas that I've modded many other ways. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of what you've done here. Bravo.

If I change anything, I'd suggest making the blinker 'motion' a little faster.  Make the speed better replicate a stock blinker rate.  To me it could be mistaken for a novel lighting trick before it's recognized as a 'blinker'. jmho  

.... I have a question for those that care to comment - to get the look requires cutting the rear off the buyer's lamp enclosure. It looks the same from the outside. Does anyone care about that kind of abuse? ....

As mentioned above, it boils down to protection from the elements.  If that's not a problem, I wouldn't be opposed to some cutting on the backside.  Or, just duct tape it when your done.

jimtom
Posted 2013-10-18 10:33 AM (#146819 - in reply to #146721)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
That is awesome!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™