You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Need Your Thoughtful Feedback
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2013-10-17 1:37 PM (#146786)
Subject: Need Your Thoughtful Feedback

Fountain Inn, SC United States
As the riding season here in the northeast is in its last months, I get to turn my attention back to this website. Not that I've been ignoring it, just that like many of you, I've had a full summer/fall of riding and events and have been letting the site run on autopilot a bit. Thanks to many of you who continue to police the forums and let me know of issues so I can act on them. In reality, these forums are some of the best behaved that I know of, certainly amongst the biker and even Victory sites. I thank you for your actions in that regard, it really makes a difference.

So with the coming idle times (unlike you lucky guys in warmer climates), I get to thinking...

Are our websites serving the community as they should?

What can we do to improve upon them?

I think before I ask for your feedback, I should just reiterate many of the features of the site..
  • In-depth articles, written by me, professional authors, and your fellow members

• How-To Tech articles and thread posts covering maintenance, customizing, and repairs

• Master motor builder Lloyd Greer (Lloydz) Tech Articles and Blog providing technical insight as how things work and how to avoid engine problems

• A member supported Parts Listing providing OEM and aftermarket part #s for many Victory parts.

• Member supported Product Reviews - the best insightful reviews come from you who use the products

• An online Gallery to house all your Victory related images (which now accepts images up to 1mb in size)

• Link Resources to many aftermarket Victory vendors, dealers, Polaris manuals, Riding Clubs and Adventures, etc.

• A Member supported Calendar of events. If something is happening in your area, put it in the calendar so others will know!

• Classified Ads - Both Personal and Vendor related. Want To Buy ads as well?!

• Personal pages that keep track of your forum threads, gallery photos, and messages from fellow members. This is a great tool for keeping track of threads you've posted in.

• Downloads for logos, GPS screens, and occasional Victory documents.

• And of course, some of the best Victory related threads on the net. Certainly the friendliest!!

So with fingers crossed and teeth clenched in anticipation of some criticism I ask that you let me know...

1. How are we doing?

2. Where does this website need improvement? What needs aren't being met?

3. What do we do well? What distinguishes us from other forum sites?

4. Has our online store served you well? We would like to offer more products but with limited funds we are cautious about ordering products without mass appeal, especially if they require different sizes.

5. While we continue to register anywhere from 60 to 100 people monthly (and log 10 times as many just lurking), what cool ideas do you have to draw more fellow Victory riders to the site(s)?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2013-10-17 6:15 PM (#146792 - in reply to #146786)
Subject: Re: Need Your Thoughtful Feedback

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Jeff,

Sorry that Mother Nature will force you out of the saddle soon.

Report card:
Personally I have nothing but praise to share. Your list of features, member participation, your prompt attention to post regarding the site, and your current desire for feedback are all evidence of that.

Improvements/needs not being met:
There are a lot of members who find it difficult to post images. It would be great if, as someone recently suggested, there was some way that the site could apply the resizing. Such a tool would encourage the use of more photos.
I'd love to see a running slide show on the home page using the fantastic motivational posters that have been posted (primarily by SongFan). They have always been are a huge hit with members and would grab the attention of the browsers.
Perhaps a feature that was specific to traveling on the Vision. Ideas would include favorite tours, trailers reviews, camping, tour supply list tool, mapping tool with GPS download feature, and of course pictures.

Do well:
Monitor and promptly address issues/concerns. Encourage member participation in activities not just on the site. Provide insight into some things going on at the corporate level. See the report card for more.

On line store:
With my tail between my legs I have to admit to not taking advantage of it - sorry (not your fault).

Cool ideas:
Improvement comments probably would have been more appropriate here.

THANKS for making this THE best site for anything Vision.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-10-17 6:56 PM (#146795 - in reply to #146786)

Visionary

Lack of single women wanting to spend money on us or miss behave with us
I find this to be the best site of all the others.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-10-17 6:59 PM (#146796 - in reply to #146786)

Visionary

Though of something a search just for parts that are for sale. That way we wouldn't have to go thew a 100 adds to find what we think we want
Oldman47
Posted 2013-10-17 10:01 PM (#146805 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

Central Illinois
When it comes to pictures I like to use sites where I can just paste in an IMG code line and leave the picture in my Photobucket account rather than tie up server space at each individual forum.
How about a map feature where anyone interested would enter their location and it would show up on a map with a link to each person who was listed? It would be a way to find those nearby and arrange a meet and greet.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-17 11:14 PM (#146807 - in reply to #146786)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Jeff, you and Miles have done a bang up job with the site, especially without all that banner stuff found on other free sites. Content is always the driving force on any forum. So the site will only be as good as the participant. You built the platform right from the get-go, I don't know how you can improve on that.
bikerdave48
Posted 2013-10-18 4:57 AM (#146808 - in reply to #146786)

Cruiser

New Castle Delaware
Jeff, Great website my favorite, as always you do a bang up job. Uploading pictures is the only challenge I can see.
boffo
Posted 2013-10-18 1:43 PM (#146821 - in reply to #146786)
Subject: RE: Need Your Thoughtful Feedback

Puddle Jumper

Best site that I have found. Lots of helpful info.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-10-19 10:55 AM (#146863 - in reply to #146786)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey Jeff

Qudos for all your efforts...you have and are doing a awesome job!!!

Thoughts

A section for our partners

Each month, the partner would provide an overview of what's on their drawing boards, give members of the forum the opportunity to post questions etc. Many providers have Facebook accounts and sites be it would be great to have a single place where forum members can get the latest and greatest info without having to reach out to each partner on an individual basis.

Have them provide a monthly member only special priced merchandise
Member discounts

Store

Solicit members via polls on new merchandise ideas
pre-paid orders in order to meet different levels of volume purchases

Events
Discount tickets for motorcycle events e.g. shows (international expos), races, track events etc

Thanks and keep up the GREAT work!!!
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-10-19 6:35 PM (#146877 - in reply to #146786)

Visionary

Jeff
the greats thing you did this year was give Kevin his own page for his videos
adirondacks
Posted 2013-10-20 12:05 PM (#146891 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

Troy, NY
Pictures, like everyone else has said. Otherwise great site!!!
Oldman47
Posted 2013-11-05 5:21 PM (#148565 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Often I find a need to edit a post when it takes me to that "check your post" screen. There are often spelling and similar things I need to fix. I have noticed that the edit function does not work smoothly. In fact if I add a separate paragraph for an after thought I do not get a new paragraph, I get code that indicates the desire for a new paragraph instead. If I add or remove italics, I also just get the code and not the actual italics. FYI I am using Firefox, just in case the issue is browser specific.
Allaire5
Posted 2013-11-11 8:52 AM (#148763 - in reply to #146786)

Puddle Jumper

Agree on Pictures. Is there a link on how to post, resize etc
ljurgens
Posted 2013-11-11 1:18 PM (#148766 - in reply to #146805)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Oldman47 - 2013-10-17 10:01 PM When it comes to pictures I like to use sites where I can just paste in an IMG code line and leave the picture in my Photobucket account rather than tie up server space at each individual forum. How about a map feature where anyone interested would enter their location and it would show up on a map with a link to each person who was listed? It would be a way to find those nearby and arrange a meet and greet.

+1 on both of these !

Miles
Posted 2013-11-12 8:42 AM (#148782 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Just FWIW... the IMG format works.. and also
location is now part of the profile and searchable.

Some upcoming things I'm working on are an image resizer that automagically resizes images uploaded to be a reasonable size and we've talked about the map options too, but need to wait until more people fill out the profile.
Miles
Posted 2013-11-12 8:44 AM (#148783 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

And we also have some improvements coming to the profile page very soon too.
Miles
Posted 2013-11-12 8:51 AM (#148784 - in reply to #148763)

Tourer

Allaire5 - 2013-11-11 8:52 AM

Agree on Pictures. Is there a link on how to post, resize etc

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=44
Miles
Posted 2013-11-13 4:18 PM (#148828 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

Just brought an updated version of the Profile Page online. Check out the new here features http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14688&po... or visit your profile page. http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/profile/view-profile.asp
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-11-23 1:37 PM (#149111 - in reply to #146786)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
This website is fantastic. I have no complaints. If you are asking for ways to improve it, there is one helpful feature I have noticed on other sites. There are little orange "New" icons next to topics which contain a post I have not yet read. On Vision-Riders I find myself re-reading an entire topic because I can't remember which post was the last one I read. Clicking the "New" icon takes me to the post I have not read in the topic. It's a very convenient tool. When I open the forum and see no orange "New" I move on to something else...like going for a ride. It saves a lot of time. Is there already something like this in Vision-Riders that I am not aware of?

Thanks for a great site!

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2013-11-23 4:39 PM (#149114 - in reply to #149111)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
victoryvisiontour - 2013-11-23 2:37 PM

This website is fantastic. I have no complaints. If you are asking for ways to improve it, there is one helpful feature I have noticed on other sites. There are little orange "New" icons next to topics which contain a post I have not yet read. On Vision-Riders I find myself re-reading an entire topic because I can't remember which post was the last one I read. Clicking the "New" icon takes me to the post I have not read in the topic. It's a very convenient tool. When I open the forum and see no orange "New" I move on to something else...like going for a ride. It saves a lot of time. Is there already something like this in Vision-Riders that I am not aware of?

Thanks for a great site!

Have you used the "New Threads" link near the top right of the forums page? It will show you all the threads with new posts that you haven't read. If you want to keep track of threads you have posted in, go to your profile page. There's a list of the left of all the recent threads you've participated in. There's also a list of ALL threads with new posts in the right column on that page too.

Thanks for your response!
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-11-24 5:16 PM (#149138 - in reply to #146786)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Jedi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I have tried the "New Threads", but that only shows the most recent threads...usually today only. I have also looked at the profile page. These are great features, but they do not have the funtionality as I was trying to explain. While I am in a forum, I cannot see which subjects I have and have not read. It would be nice if there was some sort of marker on all the ones I have not read. That same marker should also appear anytime a new reply is added to a subject. When I click on the marker, it should take me to the most recent reply to that subject. The marker should then dissappear from that subject when I return to the page for that particular forum. It would reappear the next time someone replied.

Sorry if my explanation is confusing. I find the "New" feature extremely useful on other forums. If it could be added to this forum, great! If not, I will still love this forum all the same.

Great website! Please keep up the good work. Thanks
Miles
Posted 2013-12-07 8:48 AM (#149433 - in reply to #146786)

Tourer

UPLOADED PHOTOS NOW AUTOMAGICALLY RESIZE.

When you upload photos to the Gallery or as an attachment they will now resize automatically so the longest dimension (width or height) is 800px.
Miles
Posted 2013-12-08 8:26 PM (#149483 - in reply to #149138)

Tourer

victoryvisiontour - 2013-11-24 5:16 PM
While I am in a forum, I cannot see which subjects I have and have not read.

You are correct, "while in a forum" you can not see which subjects you have read. That functionality is ONLY available through the "New Threads" button due to forum design.

However, shortly you will see a "Mark All As Read" link next to the "New Threads" link. Clicking the new link will do as stated so that the next time you click "New Threads" you will only be presented with threads that have updated since you were last at the site.

I hope this helps.. "Mark All As Read" link should be up later tonight.
ljurgens
Posted 2013-12-09 10:38 AM (#149499 - in reply to #149483)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

The one thing that I just can't stand about the site, is that there is really no support for the message editor in Chrome !  Chrome is the most used browser on the planet, hard to believe its not supported. The site actually thinks I'm using Safari (mac) when I use chrome. 

-Lance

Miles
Posted 2013-12-09 4:28 PM (#149510 - in reply to #149499)

Tourer

ljurgens - 2013-12-09 10:38 AM

The one thing that I just can't stand about the site, is that there is really no support for the message editor in Chrome ! ?Chrome is the most used browser on the planet, hard to believe its not supported. The site actually thinks I'm using Safari (mac) when I use chrome.?

-Lance

Too funny... are you spying on me ? It's actually not the forum software itself but an add-on that is used and I am actually in the process of upgrading it. Should be in place within the next couple of weeks..

FWIW... I use Chrome too, and so you can imagine how much it's been bugging me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™