You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Traffic signal activation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Blue Sky Guy
Posted 2013-11-16 4:00 PM (#148920)
Subject: Traffic signal activation

Tourer

scotts valley, California
It seems there was a post on this some time back, but a search did not bring it up.  I have faithfully been putting magnets on the bottom of my bikes for years with the intent of activating signal light sequences and honestly can't say that I've had any significant results.  Some have been pretty powerful magnets too.  Does anyone have the magic formula for this or is it just another myth?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ingle51
Posted 2013-11-16 4:23 PM (#148921 - in reply to #148920)
Subject: RE: Traffic signal activation

Cruiser

NE Florida Jacksonville
The sensor loop for the lane is like a big double O, the center of the lane is the area most sensitive to the magnetic signature. I have found that stopping my bike right on top of the double loop at the center of the lane will trip the light most of the time. Fortunately states are becoming aware that motorcycles need to be able to go through and intersection when the loop fails to detect the bike. Most states have a law to allow a bike to do that, but it pays to check first.
Banjodan
Posted 2013-11-16 7:15 PM (#148928 - in reply to #148920)
Subject: Re: Traffic signal activation

Cruiser

in sc you must wait 2 mins. if if doesn't change you can go.....I give it maybe 45 sec. if no traffic i'm gone.....never heard of the magnet thing
donetracey
Posted 2013-11-16 9:07 PM (#148929 - in reply to #148920)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I agree with DAN - in the OLD days when that technology was new - it just plain did not SEE any bikes - let alone lightweights. Here in BC most of the original sensors have been replaced - and work well with bikes. But - there is still the odd intersection where you could just sit - or get off the bike and go press the pedestrian crossing button. When I get those - I just look around - and if it is safe - I go thru the RED. Been doing that for 40-50 years and ain't got a ticket yet.

Chef John
Posted 2013-11-16 10:34 PM (#148930 - in reply to #148920)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I have noticed down here sometimes there is another sensor like 6 car lengths before the intersection, by slowly rolling over this one and giving the bike a quick rev, by the time I roll to the light it has already changed. I think, don't know for sure the second sensor recognizes that traffic has backed up that far and triggers the change. Just my 2 cents.
Oldman47
Posted 2013-11-17 7:42 AM (#148940 - in reply to #148920)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I only know of one sensor locally that my bike will not trip. It is on a left turn lane but is one that you can go through on a simple green light without the arrow so it is no big deal. We also have the rule that lets you go if you wait 2 minutes and the signal has not noticed you, so I wait through one light cycle then go when it is safe.
Daddio
Posted 2013-11-17 6:25 PM (#148946 - in reply to #148920)

New user

Black Hills, SD
Many jurisdictions are getting away from the magnetic coil sensors in the pavement, and are now using pixel-counting 'cameras' mounted facing the intersection. Most of these do not record, they merely sense a difference in the pixels, and start the signal-changing process.
RedRider
Posted 2013-11-18 4:23 AM (#148953 - in reply to #148920)

Visionary

I was taught years ago to shut off my bike and then restart and it trips the light. It's worked so far. I was also told that they can adjust the sensitivity of the unit so it picks up bikes. I have known a few to get better but I don't know if it was adjusted or replaced.
Bashcars
Posted 2013-11-18 11:43 AM (#148959 - in reply to #148920)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I am an engineer who has worked with traffic sensors. Magnets are a myth and is restarting a bike. The loops are sensing a change in the inductance by the metal going over or stopped in the loop. If you find an inductive loop sensor that does not pick up your bike very well, make sure you stop in the middle (width wise) of the loop. Also, as stated by others most newer intersections are controlled by camera detectors that detect a change in the pixels of where they are aimed. One near my house is aimed such that if I pull to the left part of the left turn lane, it will not detect me all the time. If I am in the middle to right side of the lane, it detects me every time.
varyder
Posted 2013-11-18 11:45 AM (#148960 - in reply to #148920)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
since TSA is watching everyone's every move, you'd think that would control the lights...
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-11-18 12:00 PM (#148961 - in reply to #148959)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

Bashcars - 2013-11-18 12:43 PM...make sure you stop in the middle (width wise) of the loop.

Which also happens to be right where all the dripped oil and coolant are.  I stop to one side or the other.  There's only one or 2 lights in my general area that don't pick me up and even then, they seem to get me eventually.  On the other hand, I'm a 300 pound guy on a 900 pound bike.  Maybe what they're really sensing is an impending earthquake.

Edited by Monkeyman 2013-11-18 12:01 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-11-18 6:08 PM (#148973 - in reply to #148920)

Visionary

here you go

http://www.bikerhiway.com/red-light-changer-p-2.html
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-11-18 6:26 PM (#148974 - in reply to #148920)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I am an avid bicyclist logging over 500miles per month. I have found the method in this video to work great for bicycles. Works even better on a Vision.
How to trigger a traffic light on a bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj-mNB6dLkk&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...
Cometman
Posted 2013-11-20 1:32 PM (#149028 - in reply to #148920)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
I found that if I diagonally over the sensor (right to left) that it triggers the light a lot quicker.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-11-21 10:35 AM (#149056 - in reply to #148920)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
The loop sensor doesn't detect mass, only ferrous metals. (Metals that contain iron)
The Vision and X bikes have an aluminum frame which won't trip the sensor.
A couple of ideas that seem to work for me;
1. Stop just to the right hand side of one of the cuts in the pavement and lean your motorcycle to the left so that your motor is more exposed to the sensor. (put it on your kickstand while waiting).
2. Rev your motor to the point where the charging system activates which will emit eddy currents that will trip the loop sensors.
I've found that both of these will work at a stubborn light a mile from my house.

Edited by bigfoot 2013-11-21 10:40 AM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-11-21 2:01 PM (#149068 - in reply to #148920)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks bigfoot....that explains why I haven't had long wait times at lights....I have a skid plate installed on my Vision
Blue Sky Guy
Posted 2013-11-21 11:45 PM (#149077 - in reply to #149068)

Tourer

scotts valley, California
Thanks all for your thoughts and reports. I, too, have a skid plate on my Vision; still have problems. I will try some of the other ideas and get back to ya'all.
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-11-23 10:05 AM (#149096 - in reply to #148920)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
The loops will detect any conductive metal such as iron, steel, aluminum, titanium, etc. From my experience, even carbon fiber framed bicycles still have enough aluminum in the rims to trigger the light. Placement of the wheels on the loop is key. Here is a good site to help undertand how the loops work.
http://bikeportland.org/2010/09/27/bike-science-making-sense-out-of...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™