You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

The Polaris Plague
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2013-11-23 9:38 AM (#149094)
Subject: The Polaris Plague

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I have a fondness for the Indian motorcycle so I'm following the forum concerning the release of the 2014 models.  It seems Polaris is already giving Indian owners the same treatment they've given the Victory folks for the past 15 years.  According to a poster, he has to take his warrantied bike to an authorized Indian dealer hundreds of miles away and not to the local Victory dealer just a few miles away.  I've heard and read more than once that the Indian rider would be able to take their bike to a Victory dealer, or any authorized motorcycle shop and Indian would work with the dealer directly to help fix the problem.  Apparently this not so, and it's coming straight from Indian.  This alone will put a sour taste in folks mouths, because Indian is now an affordable production bike, not an elite, high-end bike.  This means more folks will have them, and many will not be close to a dealer.  While it takes only a few isolated problems to rattle a cage, it will have a ripple affect that will plague Indian, just as it has with Victory.  The number one reason I hear folks say they wouldn't buy a Victory is the lack of dealer support.  Indian is in a greater dilemma because at this juncture, Victory has far more dealerships than Indian.  While it was perceived as Indian would provide greater dealer support to the customer, it seems the onus is on the customer to get it to an authorized dealer for work.

Personally, I'm glad I have not pulled the trigger yet.  I was telling my dealer yesterday when I got my front tire replaced about how my bike has not been seen by a dealer for about 4 years for any work and I do all of my own.  I asked about them becoming an Indian dealer and he told me Indian wants too much inventory on the floor and too much upfront to be a franchise.  He said they were hesitant in becoming a Victory dealer but glad they did because they keep flying out of the door and they are easier to work on.  He says that he's been a jap bike mechanic for many years and really impressed with Victory's reliability and ease of maintenance.

I would not want to be an Indian owner right now, my closest dealer is over 4 hours away.  If this is the way Polaris will allow the road divisions to operate, I don't see how they can get a foot hold close to coming in competing with HD.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
iluvink
Posted 2013-11-23 10:12 AM (#149098 - in reply to #149094)
Subject: Re: The Polaris Plague

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Regretfully, I am not surprised. I wondered how long that it would take before the first new Indian owners got that special 'Polaris' treatment. I am still miffed at the lack of Victory dealers in Texas. For a state that, for the most part, will let a Rider ride about 11 months out if the year, depending, and the size that we are, only has less than a dozen Dealers, and several of those are part of the same Dealer family? And now there is only one Indian dealer in this entire state? And that is down is Houston, so north Texans would have to go to Oklahoma? I thought that I might look at 2015 models, but you are right, the more I read from the Indian owners, the less likely that is to happen. A lot of times I wish that another manufacturer, foreign or domestic made this wonderful bike, the Vision. Perhaps one with a decent Dealer network, product backing, and seeming desire to keep gaining more and more market share, of the motorcycle industry. But do they really care about what some average Joe down in Texas thinks? No, not really.
SongFan
Posted 2013-11-23 11:05 AM (#149102 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Memphis
I'm not a Polaris customer, my dealer is. I'm a Charlotte Indian customer. I went into this knowing that the onus was on me with a very limited dealer network at this point. I have a Polaris dealer 10 miles from my house (490 miles closer than Charlotte) but I don't expect them to cover my bike at the same level as an Indian dealer. If I can't get a problem resolved at Charlotte, Little Rock, Nashville or Birmingham Indian dealers, then the local Polaris guys would be my last resort.

Every Indian owner goes into this knowing the limitations of the dealer network and to whine about it after the fact is weak. I got an Indian because it's worth the hassle, whatever that may be.
varyder
Posted 2013-11-23 11:22 AM (#149103 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

The passionate few is great to be among, however, it is the average masses of the motorcycle community that buy and keep the industry alive. It is their perception that will drive the profit. The plus is Polaris has proven they will dump the dollars on a hope like they did with Victory. I'm sure they will do it with Indian. But in no way will they compete with HD, as they say they want to with the same service they've proven themselves to give with Victory. I'm very adamant about a lot of things, and will go the mile with something I have a passion about. I own a Jeep, and Jeeps ain't cheap to keep up and they have problems, but all-n-all they give great service and have heritage.

I own a Vision and have "suffered" poor dealership and Victory support with the best of them, I'll ride it to the end though. If I had an Indian right now I would probably feel the same way. I don't think it is whining to share what someone is going through, bewaring (? my word) others what they may face with the same issues. The crime is the fact that Polaris is not providing the support without wrangling with them. Like a I told the dealer 200 miles from my house when I trailered my Vision to see if the warranty applied to my bike for the Voltage regulator. He made the smart alec remark that everyone is asking for something free. My bike had about 98,000 miles on at the time, but I was on extended warranty. I made it clear that 1) I didn't like his remark, 2) I wanted my bike fixed, warranty or no warranty. He humbled himself when Victory said it was covered under warranty. Again, another example of a dealer that doesn't need my business, but fair is fair, don't hassle me so I won't want to approach you when I have a problem. Coming out with a heritage bike with promises and then not keeping them is not what anyone should expect.

Edited by varyder 2013-11-23 11:25 AM
SongFan
Posted 2013-11-23 11:36 AM (#149104 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Memphis
I agree with your point VR. Luckily, I've had nothing but great experiences with Victory dealers in the past so I'm not as jaded as some. My experience with the Vision is the #1 reason I'm jumping into the Indian game this early on. (Stories about the local HD dealer here are the #1 reason I've never considered one.)

Life has it's risks......roll on.
atvtinker
Posted 2013-11-23 11:43 AM (#149105 - in reply to #149094)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
iluvink, how can you say that Victory is not big in Texas? There are 5 dealers within 100 miles from me and I live in Louisiana! Just got a new dealership that opened in Alexandria, but 3 out of the 5 in east Texas are still closer then the new one.
Chico7z
Posted 2013-11-26 12:58 PM (#149167 - in reply to #149094)

Cruiser

Barrington, NH
I could be wrong but I am thinking you, or whoever informed you, was thinking about the "old" Indians being warrantied at non Indian dealers. Everything that I have been told has been that they are two separate companies and are going to be treated that way. I understand everything that you are saying about lack of dealers but it is also the first year, there will be more to come. I wouldn't expect my local Ford dealer to fix my GMC under warranty?? I also could be wrong but I don't think anyone really expects Indian or Victory to match HD market share adn even if they do it will take a good aprt of a life time, it will never happen overnight...
SongFan
Posted 2013-11-26 1:25 PM (#149168 - in reply to #149094)
Subject: RE: The Polaris Plague

Visionary

Memphis

Here's a recent event that just happened to a new Indian owner:

A week ago Saturday I went out to my shed, where I had put my Indian a few days earlier, to take out the battery and hook it up to a tender in the garage.  Low and behold, the power button was glowing red.  Hmmm.  I pushed it.  Nothing happened.  I pushed again.  Nothing.  I pushed other buttons.  Also nothing.  No power anywhere except to make the power button glow red.

I called roadside assistance.  They said they would get me a tow to my nearest dealer.  Found one...said they could be at my house at 6:30.  That won't work...going to a show.  They found another one that could pick up the bike around 3:30.  That's fine, but they won't be able to get to the dealer (170 miles away, in Lincoln, NE) before they close at 4:00.  They checked with the towing company, who said they could store it inside until Monday.....$20 per night.  "So I'll have to pay $20 per night?".   They said..."Let's see if we can cover that."  About a minute later..."We'll cover that for you."

Monday morning I received a call saying they contacted the dealer, and the bike is there.

Thursday Don at the dealership called and said a connector on the Vehicle Control Module was broken.  They should have it fixed by Wednesday or Thursday.  I said I suppose I'll have to pick the bike up myself.  He said yes...but I could try calling roadside assistance to see what they'll do.  On second thought...you live off I-80 don't you?  I said yes.  Don said they are sending a trailer full of bikes to the Twin Cities dealer on Monday...there might be room for one more.  Sure enough there was....

So today the dealer's trailer met me in the local grocery store's parking lot, unloaded my bike, and I drove it the last 3/4 mile home.  The dealer had also installed a few more of my accessories that had arrived.

So....great service from roadside assistance (who did not charge me for the 170 mile tow, even though the max is supposed to be 100 miles, AND covered the $20 storage fee for 2 nights), and the dealership who fixed the problem and got my bike back to me without my having to drive 3 hours each way.

varyder
Posted 2013-11-26 1:35 PM (#149169 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It's a good story when the dealer steps up, that's a great dealer!!!
XRsteve
Posted 2013-11-27 8:45 AM (#149183 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Hopefully there will be 20-30 Indian dealers added in 2014. It's very surprising that there are none in two large metro areas like Atlanta and Dallas.................
RedRider
Posted 2013-12-01 6:36 AM (#149242 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

I think all brands have their plus and minus.
My local Honda dealers told me he doesn't make money on sales but on service/repair. The hourly rate is high compared to Victory. Good dealer.
HD made many dealers put up a $1 million dealership before the crash now bikes aren't selling like they used to. That sucks.
Also HD dealers that work on the old bikes are few and far between.
My preferred dealer is 2-1/2 hours away. Always treats my bikes like I bought them there.

It appears that Victory has improved over the 15 years and I feel Indian will do the same. We Victory owners from the early years ('99 myself) have seen lots of changes and seen lots of difficulties with dealers. I feel that Indian will be big and we will see more dealers and then more bad and iffy dealers will pop up. Would any of you "newbie" Victory owners be riding one today if we early owners did not take a chance?

I love the soft saddle bag Indian but it will be a tough choice for me when they come out with a full tourer. I waited a long time for a Vision.
Visionarytx
Posted 2013-12-04 7:19 PM (#149348 - in reply to #149094)

New user

I talked with dealer recruiter about Dallas. There is a ground dealer in Allen, a dealer in Fort Worth, garland and farmers branch/carrolton next year, problibly before summer.
vicguy
Posted 2013-12-04 11:22 PM (#149353 - in reply to #149094)

Cruiser

shakopee , Mn
Went through this conversation 10 years ago on the VMC boards, and look what happened.
donetracey
Posted 2013-12-05 1:11 AM (#149355 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Polaris builds and sells Snowmobiles and Off-Road vehicles - that is their #1 business and reason for existence.

They added VICTORY as a 'fill' for their sales - and now Indian.

I live in a part of the world that NEEDS snowmobiles and off-road vehicles. The dealers showroom is 1/3 Bikes - and 2/3 Polaris Machines.

For me - it works. They do well with their POLARIS sales and service - and because of that - the do well with their BIKE sales and service.

NOT ALL you folks living in non-mountainous - non-backcountry zones can expect your dealers to be as successful. Pure ECONOMICS - not MAGIC.

VICTORY is NOT their reason for existence - POLARIS is ....

Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-12-05 5:46 AM (#149357 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
This is No different than if you own or have a Verizon product/service. Verizon is 3 different companies under one name. you cant go to any one of them and get all 3 services serviced.. verizon wireless/ verizon home phone, dls / verizon fios. neither one of them can service of warranty the others product. My opinion is , if you bought a Indian and you knew the nearest dealer was hundreds of miles away, then it should be no surprise this dealer is STILL hundreds of miles away when you need service or warranty work..

on a side note i went through this crap with Kawasaki dealers.. this is why i no longer ride a kaw.. When i was ready to get rid of my 2008 vision and i moved to another county in PA, the first thing i did was look for motorcycle dealerships that would be close to where i live... cause it isnt IF your motorcycle will need serviced, its When.... and when i purchased my 2011 vision. it needed warranty work on day # 1 .... but i was less than 25 mins away from where my new dealership was located.. i will NOT EVER purchase any car or motorcycle to where the dealerships is hours OR hundreds of miles away.... just saying...
varyder
Posted 2013-12-05 7:09 AM (#149358 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I understand these analogies, I don't think we can compare sports vehicles with phone companies and internet services. Victory belongs to Polaris under the road division. To say they favor the other products over Victory, says they will accept failure of the line. The short-coming I see with Victory is they are treating the motorcycles like the other products. The sucess of the Motor Company is the selling of culture with the machine, and yes, I'm beating a dead horse. Even Gold Wing has an exclusive cultre that helps sell it's flagship and bleeds down through the other models. It has just been in the last few years that Victory has started to go this route, sort of. But the risk now is that Indian may shadow that gain. If motorcycling alone is your passion, then it doesn't matter what you ride. When I decided on going with Victory, the dealership proximity was not a factor, even though it was less than 10 miles from my house. They did not provide the service I expected and even stopped taking my bike there. When they closed and I was without as dealer for about 3 years, it did not phase me at all. No other bike comes close to the Vision IMHO, and any pain I would suffer to ride is well worth it. Fortunately, there has been minimal pain in the past 6 years.

I really don't know what the answer is. I'm not in the board meetings at Polaris/Victory so I don't know what the strategy is. I'm just perplexed that the sales are not greater than what they are and they seem very content with that. But it don't keep me from enjoying my ride. Good day.
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2013-12-11 2:32 PM (#149572 - in reply to #149094)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Why would you expect Victory to do Warranty work on an Indian? REALLY? Does that mean that all GM dealers should work everything GM produces? REALLY? General Motors produces vehicles in 37 countries under fifteen brands, including Alpheon, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Baojun, Holden, HSV, Jie Fang, Opel, Opel Performance Center (OPC), Vauxhall, VXR, UzDaewoo, and Wuling.[4][5] As well as owning shares in PSA Peugeot Citroen.

So you think you should be able to get warranty work done for your Buick at the Cadillac dealer? That's what you are asking of Vic. Or perhaps you think you should be able to get your Ford serviced at Jaguar? Come on, let's get real. These are different brands and will only ever be serviced by the brand dealer.

To blame, "dis" or disparage Polaris for not doing warranty work on an Indian is just plain silly. Sure Indian has a small network of dealers. But people know that when they buy them. And the current network is WAY bigger than it was before Polaris bought the company.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-12-11 6:09 PM (#149574 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

I wounder how you become a Indian tech? Are you a tech if you read the owners book or service manual?
I dought they send you to some school to learn about the motor or the gages. So if you can work on Honda's Kawasaki or what ever
you can work on a Indian.
Like Vic dealers say it will be two weeks its cause there waiting for Vic to call them back and tell them what to do.
If your Indian doesn't break down thank your lucky star
varyder
Posted 2013-12-12 4:06 AM (#149587 - in reply to #149572)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

MaddMAx2u - 2013-12-11 3:32 PM Why would you expect Victory to do Warranty work on an Indian? REALLY? Does that mean that all GM dealers should work everything GM produces? REALLY? General Motors produces vehicles in 37 countries under fifteen brands, including Alpheon, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Baojun, Holden, HSV, Jie Fang, Opel, Opel Performance Center (OPC), Vauxhall, VXR, UzDaewoo, and Wuling.[4][5] As well as owning shares in PSA Peugeot Citroen. So you think you should be able to get warranty work done for your Buick at the Cadillac dealer? That's what you are asking of Vic. Or perhaps you think you should be able to get your Ford serviced at Jaguar? Come on, let's get real. These are different brands and will only ever be serviced by the brand dealer. To blame, "dis" or disparage Polaris for not doing warranty work on an Indian is just plain silly. Sure Indian has a small network of dealers. But people know that when they buy them. And the current network is WAY bigger than it was before Polaris bought the company.

They said it.

Chico7z
Posted 2013-12-12 8:21 AM (#149591 - in reply to #149094)

Cruiser

Barrington, NH
Who is "they" because I sat in on a "Indian" meeting back in 2011 and they specifically said they were not going to be doing that. That is what was offred with the company that Polaris bought the rights to Indian from. Like I said in my previous post I think there is some confusion/misunderstanding going on...
kevinx
Posted 2013-12-12 8:53 AM (#149594 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Thought I had seen this before. My answer from THEVMC still stands here as well. If you are going to use the big "THEY" then you need to use the entire statement. Not just a snippit that spins it sideways...

When Polaris originally bought the brand. They said that the KM bikes could be brought to a Victory dealer, or an approved independent shot for factory warranty coverage. Those bikes went out of factory warranty a couple years ago, and they did exactly what they said. The new bikes have the growing dealer network to work through.
As for customer service. It is no worse the HD, and much better then Yamaha, or Suzuki.

To say they built an entire division from the ground up in only three years. I would personally say what they have accomplished is nothing short of amazing
varyder
Posted 2013-12-12 9:02 AM (#149595 - in reply to #149094)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

From "They" website under FAQ:

Can I take my Indian Motorcycle to a Victory and/or Polaris dealer for service/warranty work?

In all warranty situations, you will need to initiate a warranty transaction with an authorized Indian Motorcycle dealer to obtain service. If there is a customer or dealer concern regarding the distance required for warranty work, your dealership can contact Polaris. If your Indian Motorcycle dealership recommends warranty service at a non-Indian Motorcycle dealer, a member of the Polaris Dealer Services staff will work with you, your dealership and a Victory dealer to arrange for warranty service work at an established Victory dealer.

Edited by varyder 2013-12-12 9:04 AM
kevinx
Posted 2013-12-12 11:12 AM (#149599 - in reply to #149595)

Visionary

varyder - 2013-12-12 10:02 AM

From "They" website under FAQ:

Can I take my Indian Motorcycle to a Victory and/or Polaris dealer for service/warranty work?

In all warranty situations, you will need to initiate a warranty transaction with an authorized Indian Motorcycle dealer to obtain service. If there is a customer or dealer concern regarding the distance required for warranty work, your dealership can contact Polaris. If your Indian Motorcycle dealership recommends warranty service at a non-Indian Motorcycle dealer, a member of the Polaris Dealer Services staff will work with you, your dealership and a Victory dealer to arrange for warranty service work at an established Victory dealer.

Do you have a link to this document?
varyder
Posted 2013-12-12 11:36 AM (#149600 - in reply to #149599)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

very easily found on the official Indian Motorcycle website.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/frequently-asked-questions

kevinx
Posted 2013-12-12 12:14 PM (#149606 - in reply to #149600)

Visionary

varyder - 2013-12-12 12:36 PM

very easily found on the official Indian Motorcycle website.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/frequently-asked-questions

As I suspected. The verbiage you are showing falls under the "Previous year models" portion of the FAQ

EDIT:It might be argued that it under the dealer heading, and separate from the previous model

Edited by kevinx 2013-12-12 12:15 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™