You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New mile mark
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

jimtom
Posted 2014-03-19 9:57 AM (#152453)
Subject: New mile mark

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
75,000 on the Dreamweaver today. Nothing but tires and oil. It just runs.

(lighthouse Tybee.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lighthouse Tybee.jpg (44KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-03-19 2:51 PM (#152460 - in reply to #152453)
Subject: Re: New mile mark

Visionary

Central Maryland
No steering bearing maintenance? No fork oil change? No brake pad or fluid renewal?
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-19 3:22 PM (#152462 - in reply to #152460)

Visionary

willtill - 2014-03-19 2:51 PM

No steering bearing maintenance? No fork oil change? No brake pad or fluid renewal?

no steering bearing maintenance, no fork oil change, yes on brake pads every tire change, no brake fluid, original battery, original belt , original clutch, original front fender, original headlight bulb. I have replaced the 2 marker lights on the trunk and one brake light bulb. All that equals unmatched cost of ownership which is what I'm all about. Bike still rides, starts, stops and turns good. I still put it in cruise on the interstate and take both hands off the bars sometimes.

Edited by jimtom 2014-03-19 3:23 PM
willtill
Posted 2014-03-19 4:02 PM (#152466 - in reply to #152453)

Visionary

Central Maryland
That's outstanding jimtom!

Sometimes it's awfully nice to see a flicker of light; surrounded by all of the darkness of the short interval of front end maintenance (15k for steering bearings and fork fluid).

I bought this Vision under the assumption that I would have to do less maintenance on it; compared to my other bikes (past and present). I was particularly attracted to it by the lack of intake/exhaust valve lash checks. But later on... I found out about the 15k service on the front end, and became quite dissatisfied.

I do not plan on not pulling my triple tree nor changing out my fork fluid unless something happens which perceptibly makes it necessary.
varyder
Posted 2014-03-19 4:33 PM (#152469 - in reply to #152453)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Will, if you're not a rain rider, you may be okay. I think that rain will get through the air fliter and then settle down in the recess and put moisture in from the top of the bearing. I last touched the bearing about 30,000 or so, but I'm not sure. If it starts to get sticky, there's a possibly you'll need to have it replaced. That ain't fun if you do it, and it will cost you some bills at the dealer. All for a little dab of grease and a few hours work.

Listen to me, I sound like those people I never wanted to listen too...
willtill
Posted 2014-03-19 7:12 PM (#152473 - in reply to #152453)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Varyder... yes... I try to avoid "expected" rain. The Doppler is my friend.
lstayner
Posted 2014-03-19 7:25 PM (#152475 - in reply to #152473)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
willtill - 2014-03-19 7:12 PM

Varyder... yes... I try to avoid "expected" rain. The Doppler is my friend.

You got a Doppler on the bike. I gotta get one of those. LOL
varyder
Posted 2014-03-19 8:42 PM (#152479 - in reply to #152453)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I have a few exceptions, but rain doesn't bother when I'm leaving the house and have got to work wet. I don't have rain gear, per se, but I will put on my frogg togg pants if it's raining hard enough. My leather jacket will keep me fairly dry. My big rule is, if it's below freezing and we've had precipitation recently, I'm hesitant to ride. If no precipitation, so far no low has been too low. But my lowest has only been around 12 degrees. Anything above freezing, I'm riding. I look at the Doppler just to get an idea what I'm up against, and many times it has been entertaining. Most of the time I've missed any major weather, some times, on the very edge.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-03-22 2:33 AM (#152532 - in reply to #152453)

Glendale, AZ United States
JimTom. I thought you were going to service the ol gal after you got your tax return. We were going to start a collection, but how did uncle Sam treat you?
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-22 4:43 AM (#152537 - in reply to #152532)

Visionary

Vladezip - 2014-03-22 2:33 AM

JimTom. I thought you were going to service the ol gal after you got your tax return. We were going to start a collection, but how did uncle Sam treat you?

I did say i was going to do the air filter spark plug service and have told my local tech to order . Steering head bearings not doing. It steers fine. I have 142,000 miles on my 99 original steering head bearing however , I think I would notice a difference if I replaced the 99 , fork service I will never do until I see some bleeding. Not at all worried about brake fluid either, also original in my 99. My tax refund was a blessing , sadly it is all gone but God is good we are doing well. As usual , I wasn't able to use my tax refund as I dreamed I would. It had to go to a lot of silly things like bills , land tax, my sons future motorcycle fund (if he ever gets his grades up, if you told me when I was a teenager, 'get your grades up and I'll buy you a motorcycle' I would have turned into a rocket scientist lol) but I'm thankful for what I have and in true Dave Ramsey fashion, I could be virtually debt free in 2 years unless I throw my money away on things like steering head bearings and fork service or changing both tires at the same time before I see cord on the back and with 10K still left on the front If I was skilled like some, and didn't work 70 hours a week (thankful for my job), I would do the work myself, that's not true, I still would just ride it every free minute I had

Edited by jimtom 2014-03-22 4:49 AM
Vladezip
Posted 2014-03-25 12:20 AM (#153663 - in reply to #152537)

jimtom - 2014-03-22 3:43 AM

I did say i was going to do the air filter spark plug service and have told my local tech to order . Steering head bearings not doing. It steers fine. I have 142,000 miles on my 99 original steering head bearing however , I think I would notice a difference if I replaced the 99 , fork service I will never do until I see some bleeding. Not at all worried about brake fluid either, also original in my 99. My tax refund was a blessing , sadly it is all gone but God is good we are doing well. As usual , I wasn't able to use my tax refund as I dreamed I would. It had to go to a lot of silly things like bills , land tax, my sons future motorcycle fund (if he ever gets his grades up, if you told me when I was a teenager, 'get your grades up and I'll buy you a motorcycle' I would have turned into a rocket scientist lol) but I'm thankful for what I have and in true Dave Ramsey fashion, I could be virtually debt free in 2 years unless I throw my money away on things like steering head bearings and fork service or changing both tires at the same time before I see cord on the back and with 10K still left on the front If I was skilled like some, and didn't work 70 hours a week (thankful for my job), I would do the work myself, that's not true, I still would just ride it every free minute I had

I wish I had parents like you growing up. I had to plead and beg my folks before they consented to my first motorcycle, which I paid for after stockpiling my money for the better part of a year working weekends while in high school. Tell your son if he doesn't get his grades up within the next six months his motorcycle fund will now be your motorcycle fund Kids (Like myself at one point) learn to appreciate things when they have to bust ars to pay for them. I'm sure there are folks at your neck of the woods that would hook you up by tag teaming the service if you paid for the parts
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-25 4:25 AM (#153670 - in reply to #153663)

Visionary

Vladezip - 2014-03-25 12:20 AM

jimtom - 2014-03-22 3:43 AM

I wish I had parents like you growing up. I had to plead and beg my folks before they consented to my first motorcycle, which I paid for after stockpiling my money for the better part of a year working weekends while in high school. Tell your son if he doesn't get his grades up within the next six months his motorcycle fund will now be your motorcycle fund Kids (Like myself at one point) learn to appreciate things when they have to bust ars to pay for them. I'm sure there are folks at your neck of the woods that would hook you up by tag teaming the service if you paid for the parts

LOL! I keep trying to find the right motivation to get him to get his grades up. I took his phone which he dearly loves, then video games. I have held this bike over his head. The only thing I haven't done is pull him from school athletics (he is almost 15) , that would punish me lol. Him ending the school year with bad grades will also punish me alllll summer. I want him to have a bike so he can ride with us this summer and have a little independence. Church and school is a mile away. He can ride to those places and graduate to riding farther when I'm with him. If he doesn't have a bike , the wife and I can't ride as much this summer because we have to decide what to do with his homebound butt lol. He says he's doing better.
There are lots of people around me that would help but I am terrible at asking for help.
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-25 4:59 AM (#153671 - in reply to #153670)

Visionary

btw, my son , Kade raced motocross beginning at age 6. He was a natural. Sadly we couldn't afford to keep doing it after a couple of years.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-03-25 2:15 PM (#153683 - in reply to #153671)

jimtom - 2014-03-25 3:59 AM

btw, my son , Kade raced motocross beginning at age 6. He was a natural. Sadly we couldn't afford to keep doing it after a couple of years.

I think to have the natural talent is absolutely great, but like with everything that only gets you so far, especially when you begin to take things seriously and move it up a notch with folks that also have natural talent and promise. No substitute for hard work and sticking with it consistently I think. That's why I like riding with folks that have logged more miles and have a better overall skills set then me because you can always learn a thing or two in the process.

I may sound like an old fart, but I would be out there mowing the lawn, washing the car, dishes, laundry, you name it if I had a bike waiting for me at the end of it all and a couple long-distance trips to boot? Hell Yeah!! And after the bike was purchased I would tell you to go mow your own damn lawn. Hahaha Check this out if you haven't seen this. Hahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMs2w9Qexg
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-25 2:32 PM (#153684 - in reply to #153683)

Visionary

Vladezip - 2014-03-25 2:15 PM

jimtom - 2014-03-25 3:59 AM

I think to have the natural talent is absolutely great, but like with everything that only gets you so far, especially when you begin to take things seriously and move it up a notch with folks that also have natural talent and promise. No substitute for hard work and sticking with it consistently I think. That's why I like riding with folks that have logged more miles and have a better overall skills set then me because you can always learn a thing or two in the process.

I may sound like an old fart, but I would be out there mowing the lawn, washing the car, dishes, laundry, you name it if I had a bike waiting for me at the end of it all and a couple long-distance trips to boot? Hell Yeah!! And after the bike was purchased I would tell you to go mow your own damn lawn. Hahaha Check this out if you haven't seen this. Hahaha.

LOL! That video is hilarious!!! I'm with you brother , I would do whatever it took. and I completely agree , I like riding with experience, makes you better. I always liked having a work out partner that was stronger, more seasoned than me. Made me work harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMs2w9Qexg
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-31 8:01 AM (#153881 - in reply to #152532)

Visionary

Vlad, I changed my 75K air filter and plugs yesterday and it was eye opening (and easy). I won't let it go that long again. I can't really tell a difference in performance because she always runs good and gets expected mileage but the peace of mind that she is getting clean air and more air is good enough. Just posting that I see the error of my ways and repent Still not doing fork or steering bearing service at this point but I will never let my filter/plugs go that long again.

(75Kfilter.jpg)

(75Kplugs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 75Kfilter.jpg (71KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 75Kplugs.jpg (63KB - 2 downloads)
willtill
Posted 2014-03-31 9:33 AM (#153883 - in reply to #152453)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Is that the performance filter at the bottom of the first pic? Thought you could wash it out with the K&N Filter Cleaning/Recharge kit (Vic also makes the kit too) and reuse it....?
jimtom
Posted 2014-03-31 12:30 PM (#153888 - in reply to #153883)

Visionary

I assume it is the factory filter. I only changed it. It did have a metal mesh retainer over the pleats, the paper replacement did not. I had the factory replacement and very little time/opportunity to change it.

Edited by jimtom 2014-03-31 12:31 PM
willtill
Posted 2014-03-31 12:47 PM (#153889 - in reply to #153888)

Visionary

Central Maryland
jimtom - 2014-03-31 1:30 PM

I assume it is the factory filter. I only changed it. It did have a metal mesh retainer over the pleats, the paper replacement did not. I had the factory replacement and very little time/opportunity to change it.

yeah, you threw away a reusable filter. But with 70,000+ miles on it with no prior cleaning; I think it may have lived out it's useful life anyway.
jimtom
Posted 2014-04-01 12:13 PM (#153911 - in reply to #153889)

Visionary

Probably .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™