You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Vladezip
Posted 2014-04-12 4:40 AM (#154168)
Subject: 13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?

Glendale, AZ United States
I bought my 09 VV a year ago next month and put 13K plus on the bike, which sort of snuck up on me. Replaced the tires front/rear a week after I bought Victoria. I played hookie from work this past Wednesday and headed up to Williams, AZ for lunch and some BBQ, including a cold IPA or should I say two. Coming back into Phoenix I hit 103 degrees outside temp and figured it was time to give the tires a close inspection vs a general glance or look see.

I'm running 40lbs front/rear and check weekly since I use the ol gal as a daily commuter to work. Upon looking the tires over no serious coupling I could see, sidewall looks solid. If anything, the center looks a little thin, but nothing crazy.

I know it boils down to riding style, but coming from a sports touring background I have no issues/reservations with leaning "biggin" over in the twisties, but based on appearance I don't see any reason why I can't get another 3-4K out of this set. Am I crazy or smoking something?

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask what the rest of you all can squeeze out of set or if I'm just kidding myself and they have to go?

No "chain pulling" please by telling me you have to replace every 6K since I know better unless Valentino Rossi rides a VV I know this is a high mileage tire, but this is rediculous. I plan on heading up that way again on Sunday, but I'm not sure if I'm pushing my luck. I know what I can squeeze out of a Metzeler 880, but the E3s are completely new to me. Take care and thanks for the feedback. Vlad.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-04-12 7:00 AM (#154169 - in reply to #154168)
Subject: Re: 13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?

Visionary

Central Maryland
Read this thread. We discussed recently:

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15109&po...
rdbudd
Posted 2014-04-12 11:00 AM (#154172 - in reply to #154168)
Subject: RE: 13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?

Visionary

Jasper, MO
A lot of it depends on the roads you ride, how you ride, and how heavy you're loaded. On the Dunlop E3s on my bike, I've worn one a rear out at 9500 miles, another went nearly 13,000 miles, and another went about 10,000 miles. The difference was the amount of riding solo vs 2-up and the roads traveled. I'm pretty sure everybody will get different results from the same tires due to these factors. I saw the same thing with a Goldwing. Tire mileage was all over the map, depending on loads and roads and riding style. Some people can get 20,000 miles from an E3 (mostly solo riders) and others can only get 10,000 (mostly loaded and 2-up). There is no hard and fast rule on tire mileage.

Since you're riding solo and commuting, you'll probably get pretty good mileage out of the tires. Load up with 2 "healthy" people and a couple weeks worth of gear that adds up to about 1340 pounds combined, and you'll be surprised how much faster that same tire goes away.

Ronnie
adirondacks
Posted 2014-04-12 12:10 PM (#154173 - in reply to #154168)
Subject: Re: 13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?

Tourer

Troy, NY
I live in the Northeast and did rear tires at 10k, had about 1k left but her in for winter storage. Other times I went 16k and just had changed last at little under 15k.
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-04-13 1:11 AM (#154177 - in reply to #154168)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm finding road temperatures have a lot to do with it. My tires look great until the days get over 100 degrees, then I can almost see the rubber melt off behind me.
E3's
Fronts I'm getting 17-18k
Rear 12-13k
Oldman47
Posted 2014-04-13 3:21 AM (#154178 - in reply to #154168)

Tourer

Central Illinois
So far my OEM tires are still looking good at 12k. My guess is another 3 to 4k and the rear will be toast. The front looks almost new.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-04-13 3:50 AM (#154179 - in reply to #154169)

willtill - 2014-04-12 6:00 AM

I did a keyword search prior to posting and this link didn't pop up so my apologies. Tracked down a Goldwing site to get a feel as well. I figure the Goldwing is even a bigger pack camel so I should get at least what they are getting by way of mileage. Thanks, Vlad.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-04-13 3:55 AM (#154180 - in reply to #154168)

The temperature was my worry as well living in Arizona where we have already hit triple digits and are in for one hell of a scorching summer. Will need to be more vigilant on checking the tires more closely after the 13K thus far. It appears I am not crazy as yet so thanks for all the feedback. Heading out in the morning for a nice 300 mile lunch ride with my BMW buddies, which is always a good time. I'm hoping I can keep up with them hence the reason I installed the Ness Signature muffler bearings
rdbudd
Posted 2014-04-13 5:15 PM (#154189 - in reply to #154179)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2014-04-13 3:50 AM

I did a keyword search prior to posting and this link didn't pop up so my apologies. Tracked down a Goldwing site to get a feel as well. I figure the Goldwing is even a bigger pack camel so I should get at least what they are getting by way of mileage. Thanks, Vlad.

Actually, when similarly loaded, the Goldwing and Vision weigh about the same. A friend and I weighed our bikes, loaded for a two week trip, two people on each, and they weighed almost exactly the same. The Vision and the Goldwing get about the same mileage out of tires too. The Goldwing forums are a good place to research tires.

The Vision has a GVWR of 1414 pounds compared to the Goldwing at 1316 pounds. We both weighed 1340 pounds on the day in question, same scales, same day, weighing one, then the other.

Ronnie
Rollin'
Posted 2014-04-13 7:19 PM (#154195 - in reply to #154168)
Subject: RE: 13K on Dunlop E3s, Just curious, but what are the rest of you getting?

Iron Butt

, WI

I'm getting ........ a car tire.

Oldman47
Posted 2014-04-14 12:53 AM (#154201 - in reply to #154168)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Rollin', that is all you run on the rear. Now you are getting set up to go double dark side with an off road tire up front. I think the OP was looking for input from people who actually use a bike tire.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-04-14 2:13 AM (#154205 - in reply to #154189)

rdbudd - 2014-04-13 4:15 PM

Actually, when similarly loaded, the Goldwing and Vision weigh about the same. A friend and I weighed our bikes, loaded for a two week trip, two people on each, and they weighed almost exactly the same. The Vision and the Goldwing get about the same mileage out of tires too. The Goldwing forums are a good place to research tires.

The Vision has a GVWR of 1414 pounds compared to the Goldwing at 1316 pounds. We both weighed 1340 pounds on the day in question, same scales, same day, weighing one, then the other.

Ronnie

So what you're saying is your significant other weighs in excess of 200lbs in addition to one heavy as hell cosmedic bag as compared to the Goldwing passenger that weighs 120lbs and took two pairs of pants and two tshirts with her? Just having some fun at your expense Ronnie, which I'm sure you can handle. Good to know. I just see the hard bags on the Goldwing and think if Macgyver was a motorcyclist he would be all over it Good to note for sure.
XRsteve
Posted 2014-04-14 7:42 AM (#154210 - in reply to #154168)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
At 13K I'm looking to buy a new rear tire...........
Nocona
Posted 2014-04-14 8:22 AM (#154212 - in reply to #154168)

New user

I ride a 03 cruzer with e3 I get 18-20,000, 20 is pushing it. I would go to the dark side if I could find a tire to fit, I hate changing the rear, the belt is a pain to aline.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-04-14 9:54 AM (#154218 - in reply to #154205)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Vladezip - 2014-04-14 2:13 AM

Ronnie

So what you're saying is your significant other weighs in excess of 200lbs in addition to one heavy as hell cosmedic bag as compared to the Goldwing passenger that weighs 120lbs and took two pairs of pants and two tshirts with her? Just having some fun at your expense Ronnie, which I'm sure you can handle. Good to know. I just see the hard bags on the Goldwing and think if Macgyver was a motorcyclist he would be all over it Good to note for sure.

In truth, our rider/passenger combinations weigh about the same. The Goldwing is about 15 pounds heavier than the Vision when both are unladen. To equal the storage capacity of the Goldwing, I have to use a roll bag on my trunk rack. With the use of the rack and roll bag, we carry every bit as much, or more, stuff as the couple on the Goldwing. We generally put light weight stuff, like rainsuits and windbreakers in the bag on the rack. The Vision's saddlebags hold more than it would appear, but the ridiculously small openings make it look like they don't, and make getting stuff in and out difficult. We gave up on the liners and use a couple of stuff sacks in each side so we can use the total capacity. The liners won't go in or out very well if you fill them full, since the opening is so small. If Victory would just make the opening the same size as the interior of the bags, a lot of the complaints about the Vision's saddlebag capacity would probably go away. The small openings are the main problem.

Interestingly, when we weighed the front and rear of the bikes individually, with rider aboard, the Goldwing carries about 20 pounds more on the front wheel than the Vision and rider. We personally weigh about the same ( he is tall and slender, and I'm short and fat). When fully loaded with passengers and two weeks worth of gear, the bikes weigh very nearly the same on front and rear tires. In our case, the riders and passengers weigh close to the same ( the girls won't tell us, but we went back and reweighed without them along, and figured it out--shhhh).

We all know that GW riders regularly exceed the manufacturer's GVWR rating, which is nearly 100 pounds less than the Vision's. Who knows why Honda puts a lower GVWR on their machine? Obviously, the bikes can and do handle more than 1316 pounds.

Bottom line--the Vision is just as much of a pack horse as the GL1800 Goldwing (the GL1500 holds a little more than the GL1800) and they weigh the same when loaded up for a trip, with similar weights on the front and rear tires, when the riders and passengers are of similar weights. Tire life is also similar under equal riding conditions.

The Goldwing's saddlebags are much easier to use than the Vision's, since Honda saw fit to make the openings the same height as the interior. The smaller than the interior openings of the Vision's saddlebags make using the full capacity more difficult, especially if you use the saddlebag liners. Honda wins on that comparison. Victory needs to make the openings the same size as the interior. Somebody had a brain fart when they decided to make the openings smaller than the interior.

Ronnie
Vladezip
Posted 2014-04-14 10:59 PM (#154254 - in reply to #154218)

rdbudd - 2014-04-14 8:54 AM

Vladezip - 2014-04-14 2:13 AM

Ronnie

In truth, our rider/passenger combinations weigh about the same. The Goldwing is about 15 pounds heavier than the Vision when both are unladen. To equal the storage capacity of the Goldwing, I have to use a roll bag on my trunk rack. With the use of the rack and roll bag, we carry every bit as much, or more, stuff as the couple on the Goldwing. We generally put light weight stuff, like rainsuits and windbreakers in the bag on the rack. The Vision's saddlebags hold more than it would appear, but the ridiculously small openings make it look like they don't, and make getting stuff in and out difficult. We gave up on the liners and use a couple of stuff sacks in each side so we can use the total capacity. The liners won't go in or out very well if you fill them full, since the opening is so small. If Victory would just make the opening the same size as the interior of the bags, a lot of the complaints about the Vision's saddlebag capacity would probably go away. The small openings are the main problem.

Interestingly, when we weighed the front and rear of the bikes individually, with rider aboard, the Goldwing carries about 20 pounds more on the front wheel than the Vision and rider. We personally weigh about the same ( he is tall and slender, and I'm short and fat). When fully loaded with passengers and two weeks worth of gear, the bikes weigh very nearly the same on front and rear tires. In our case, the riders and passengers weigh close to the same ( the girls won't tell us, but we went back and reweighed without them along, and figured it out--shhhh).

We all know that GW riders regularly exceed the manufacturer's GVWR rating, which is nearly 100 pounds less than the Vision's. Who knows why Honda puts a lower GVWR on their machine? Obviously, the bikes can and do handle more than 1316 pounds.

Bottom line--the Vision is just as much of a pack horse as the GL1800 Goldwing (the GL1500 holds a little more than the GL1800) and they weigh the same when loaded up for a trip, with similar weights on the front and rear tires, when the riders and passengers are of similar weights. Tire life is also similar under equal riding conditions.

The Goldwing's saddlebags are much easier to use than the Vision's, since Honda saw fit to make the openings the same height as the interior. The smaller than the interior openings of the Vision's saddlebags make using the full capacity more difficult, especially if you use the saddlebag liners. Honda wins on that comparison. Victory needs to make the openings the same size as the interior. Somebody had a brain fart when they decided to make the openings smaller than the interior.

Ronnie

From my standpoint and if it was entirely up to me, I naturally prefer the "ridiculously small openings" as you mentioned above myself vs the much larger opening on the Goldwing. I know. Don't quit my day job.
Turk
Posted 2014-04-15 10:16 AM (#154262 - in reply to #154168)

Iron Butt

I keep 42lbs cold, in the rear, and I'm averaging over 16k-18k miles per tire. Air pressure is key !!! I have a TPMS, and I can see the effect that different cold pressures have in generating heat and higher pressures. The higher the starting pressure, the lower the growth in pressure and heat relatively speaking. If I start at 39lbs, I can see the tire expand out to 52lb on the slab. But, if I start with a higher pressure when cold, it will only increase to 48-49lbs when heated on the highway. The more pressure, the less resistance and rubber flex, and subsequently, lower max pressure and heat.

bigfoot
Posted 2014-04-15 12:20 PM (#154269 - in reply to #154168)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
I'm averaging 15,000+ on each set and presently have the new E3-MT's on right now and they seem to be lasting even longer.
I always err on the side of safety when it comes to tires and replace them when they get close to touching any of the wear bars.

Wear accelerates the closer you come to the end of your tires life.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-04-15 3:40 PM (#154283 - in reply to #154168)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I just turned 14.8K on my E3s. I found the E3s to be unstable in wet conditions, riding and low and moderate speeds. I just ordered Avon Cobras off of Amazon. Total including tax and shipping - $359 (130/70R/18 H, LI 63; 180/60R/16 H80 (LI))
jimtom
Posted 2014-04-21 11:38 AM (#155447 - in reply to #154283)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I got 14K on my last rear and 24K on my last front E3
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™