You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Does anyone use the Harbor Freight tire changer?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Nozzledog
Posted 2014-04-27 3:51 PM (#155681)
Subject: Does anyone use the Harbor Freight tire changer?

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I've been paying about $20 per wheel to put new rubber on. For $80 I can get a Harbor Freight one and do it myself.
Anyone use one? Is it worth the $80?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-04-27 3:55 PM (#155682 - in reply to #155681)
Subject: RE: Does anyone use the Harbor Freight tire changer?

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-608...

(image_23499.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image_23499.jpg (59KB - 1 downloads)
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-04-27 4:01 PM (#155683 - in reply to #155681)
Subject: Re: Does anyone use the Harbor Freight tire changer?

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
With the size of the Vision's wheels, would I even need the motorcycle attachment?

(image_23500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image_23500.jpg (46KB - 0 downloads)
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-27 5:06 PM (#155687 - in reply to #155683)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i have NOT used any of those. but... what i HAVE used is this http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

i own this .. this past fall i used it to replace my front tire.. i was shocked how easy it was!... i did my tire change on a sunday, and used dyna beads to balance it.. now im no longer a slave to the dealer and their prices and lack of time...
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-27 6:07 PM (#155691 - in reply to #155681)

Visionary

I would gladly pay some one $20 bucks instead of fighting that machine and tire
lstayner
Posted 2014-04-27 6:44 PM (#155694 - in reply to #155681)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
A freind of mine has one and he has changed a lot of motorcycle tires with it. He likes it.
Thomas
Posted 2014-04-27 10:02 PM (#155701 - in reply to #155681)
Subject: RE: Does anyone use the Harbor Freight tire changer?

Central Wisconsin

Nozzledog - 2014-04-27 3:51 PM I've been paying about $20 per wheel to put new rubber on. For $80 I can get a Harbor Freight one and do it myself. Anyone use one? Is it worth the $80?

Been using the Harbor Freight tire changer for years. Is it worth it? Well for the money it works great as a wheel clamp. I have the tire changer bolted to a concrete floor. I cover the bead breaker end with leather otherwise you end up scatching the wheel paint. I bought Mojoblocks for the clamps. I use the mount/demount bar and spoon bar from No-Mar. Tire spoons, plastic rim protectors and tire lube. Lately, I've adopted the use of wooden blocks.

diamonbird
Posted 2014-04-28 6:34 AM (#155709 - in reply to #155681)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
The answer to the first question is "YES" but there is a learning curve to operating it and not damage the wheels....I've had mine for around 10 years and have scratched a few wheels using this machine so you may want to buy the extra "no-mar" tools as stated above. Would I go back to dealers changing my tires"NO".......I've never liked anyone else working on my bike for nothing....seen and fixed a lot of other peoples bikes that a dealer's mechanic worked on first. I'm not saying they are all that way, some are very good but I just don't trust my life to someone else's work.
V92SC
Posted 2014-04-28 7:10 AM (#155710 - in reply to #155681)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Man! I wish a stealer only charged 20.00 per tyre to change I would have never bought the Tyre Stripper machine I bought for nearly 700.00. 40.00 dollars once a year and no extra wear and tear on me is worth that much. Stealers in my neck of the woods charge 80.00 per wheel if you didn't buy thebike from them and they may bend your rim and not tell you.
ByteN2it
Posted 2014-04-28 10:15 AM (#155713 - in reply to #155681)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I have an old Harbor Freight tire changer that bolts to my shop floor. It's been modified a bit using pieces cut from a plastic cutting board to insure the rims don't get scratched & I bought a Mojo Bar that makes changing a breeze.
http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/forums/showthread.php?3737-HF-Tire-...
http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y__tB6_rRM
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-28 12:23 PM (#155717 - in reply to #155681)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
It's very popular on the forums about my other bikes, especially among guys that do track days - some of those guys are changing tires one or more times a month. I never bit the bullet because I don't go through tires all that often. I change them myself, but I use a long 2x4 for leverage to push a wedge down and break the beads (levering the end of the long one under the running board of my truck) and an old-fashioned set of tire levers. It beats the hell out of the $80/ea the local dealer charges, but it's kind of a PITA. I need to get one of those HF deals.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-28 4:57 PM (#155730 - in reply to #155681)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
it took me 30 mins.. for the very first time Ever to use my harbor freight tool. 30 mins to get it off and back on.. and this was on a SUNDAY when all the shops in my area are closed... also more and more shops are starting to ban together and agree that if you do NOT buy a tire from them they will NOT install the tire you bring them? why? they use the excuse of (Legal Reasons) so i asked what legal reasons.. then i was given (by more than 3 shops that) by installing a tire that they do not know where it came from OR if it is a blemished tire., they could be sued if they install it for you and you go down the road and have a accident because of this bad tire.. now most of us know this is B.S. not saying there is never a bad tire... but just because you buy tires online doesnt mean they are blems... im not even sure "they" are allowed to sell blem motorcycle tires intentionally . but its their way of saying... you dont buy from me, im not servicing your bike (install of tire).. now my local shops wanted $250-$275 just for a front tire, NOT installed.. there was another $30 for install if you bring them the wheel.. costs more if they have to do it.. and if you have to bring them the bike. NOW you need a appointment!!

so for me the last thing i want to do is.. pay FULL LIST price for a tire, and $30 + each time i need a tire. yes i paid for my harbor freight tool, but it will pay for itself in no time.. and like i said before.. i did my tire at my house on a sunday.... when i wanted to do it.. Not they they had time for me... and the tire i bought last fall was $119 cheap than my dealer ... and i used dyna beads to balance it.. for it being my first time, i was shocked how easy it was.. so easy i pissed myself off for being a prisoner to the dealer year after year.. if i wanna check my tire at 2am while eating fruit pebbles and wearing bunny slippers i now can !!
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-04-28 6:07 PM (#155733 - in reply to #155681)

Visionary

was at a friends todat and uses dawn dish soap to lube the tire for going on
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-04-28 6:32 PM (#155736 - in reply to #155733)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
johnnyvision - 2014-04-28 6:07 PM

That's great! See its not that hard... A penny saved is a penny earned.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-29 9:56 AM (#155753 - in reply to #155733)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
johnnyvision - 2014-04-28 7:07 PM

I use aerosol furniture polish. It gets it nice and slippery, but dries tacky. For the same reason (but tackier) I use hair spray for installing grips.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™