You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Anny and her Garmin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

RedRider
Posted 2014-07-10 5:52 AM (#161126)
Subject: Anny and her Garmin

Visionary

When I bought Anny the $1200 Garmin GPS came with her. Last year I signed up for unlimited maps from Garmin. Last week I went to update the maps and it wouldn't take. Tried every which way I could but no luck. Sent an email to Garmin support and this morning I got a reply. They no longer support map updates for my unit. They are going to reimburse me for my update costs and offer a 20% discount on any new unit. I think that's really good of them. I thanked them and asked if they know of a way to get all the bells and whistles on a new unit to work with my 4-1/2 years old setup. Waiting for a reply.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-10 9:18 AM (#161133 - in reply to #161126)
Subject: Re: Anny and her Garmin

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Do a google search for map updates on your garmin model number. I was able to find a link to download the map file and the instructions to install on my Nuvi 660 which is about 8 years old. Simple procedure, except the map was bigger than the memory on the unit so I had to put the map on the 1gb SD card that I had in the GPS. That and I changed out the garmin splash screen with the new Victory logo.
RedRider
Posted 2014-07-11 4:21 AM (#161154 - in reply to #161126)

Visionary

Yeah, that didn't work either and my unit doesn't have a card slot. I am fine with what I have till the next bike.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-07-11 4:50 AM (#161155 - in reply to #161126)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
im pretty sure your gps unit when "new" for the bike was actually old... when i had my 08 and i purchased the garmin unit designed for our vision, i remember looking into it and thinking (this is already old technology) at least compared to other motorcycle gps units. im referring to the 27xx series. even the 28xx series is seriously outdated. for the past few years i have been using my car gps unit or like now, i have been using my samsung s5 which is water resistant up to 3 meters and had a 5.1 inch screen.. a few years ago i gave up on over prices motorcycle gps units.. they just arent worth it..
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-11 6:53 AM (#161159 - in reply to #161126)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
The only issue with using the phone, for me anyway, is that my S3 doesn't work with gloves. I have put some of the glove stuff on my index and thumb on the gloves and that helps but its not perfect either...
LA Victory Rider
Posted 2014-07-11 10:42 AM (#161168 - in reply to #161126)

Cruiser

Monrovia, Ca
Take the refund for the LT maps and the 20% discount and get the new 590LM. Incredible GPS.

Like going from B&W TV to Color
RedRider
Posted 2014-07-14 4:41 AM (#161262 - in reply to #161126)

Visionary

Yes, I know it was an old unit when I bought the bike. Like building nuclear submarines, they are setup to use the technology of the day that's why we get LOTS of work on upgrades.
It still does what I want from a GPS when I use it. It was included when I bought the bike so it did not cost me anything that way. When I ride New England I don't need a GPS to tell me where to go. I should be able to ride to Sturgis and SLC blindfolded. It works fine in a situation where I need a new route do to construction or whatever.
If I decide to buy a new one would 20% off be cheaper than buying from Amazon? After such nice treatment I would buy a Garmin model again.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-07-14 11:51 AM (#161283 - in reply to #161126)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
My s3 didn't work well with gloves either. Now my s5 on the other hand actually does we with gloves and is water resistant.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™