You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Best Cell Phone Mount
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

WI_Lablover
Posted 2014-08-16 4:43 AM (#165296)
Subject: Best Cell Phone Mount

MUKWONAGO, WI United States
Wanting to change to a sleek not bulky platform for holding my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Anyone have pics or suggestions? I like the RAM mounts and have used them but wondering if theres any better alternatives?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-16 6:03 AM (#165297 - in reply to #165296)
Subject: Re: Best Cell Phone Mount

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
X grip.. i have had mine for YEARS. and went on a 4000 miles ride and the phone never even moved.. PLUS.... its not model specific.. so when you get another phone your not stuck with a mount for something you no longer own...

http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/XGriptradePhoneMo...
willtill
Posted 2014-08-16 6:20 AM (#165300 - in reply to #165296)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Best cell phone mount for me; is put it in the trunk. Last thing on want to do is take phone calls while astride my motorcycle. It ruins the riding experience.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-16 7:35 AM (#165304 - in reply to #165296)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Just because you mouby a phone up front does Not mean you have to accept anything. Be it phone calls or text messages
.. most people use it as a mpg player OR internet radio and or Gps. Victory includes a 3.5mm cable upfront for a reason
willtill
Posted 2014-08-16 8:13 AM (#165306 - in reply to #165304)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Arkainzeye - 2014-08-16 8:35 AM

Just because you mouby a phone up front does Not mean you have to accept anything. Be it phone calls or text messages
.. most people use it as a mpg player OR internet radio and or Gps. Victory includes a 3.5mm cable upfront for a reason

Oh, I KNOW that you may not choose to accept a phone call. And I know they can be used for other media apps. However, the temptation IS THERE to accept a phone call and ruin your riding moment; if it is accessible to you.

Therefore I elect to keep it stowed away; until I get off the bike. It's just my personal choice; I like to free my mind from work; family issues, unsolicited calls coming in; etc... and the cell phone is a general conveyor of that bullchit all too often.

ljurgens
Posted 2014-08-16 11:31 AM (#165309 - in reply to #165296)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
<p>+1 on the x-grip. Very solid, phone doesn't move at all. And, it would hold just about anything else you want if needed ;-)</p>

Edited by ljurgens 2014-08-16 11:32 AM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-16 1:12 PM (#165311 - in reply to #165306)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
willtill - 2014-08-16 8:13 AM

Arkainzeye - 2014-08-16 8:35 AM

Oh, I KNOW that you may not choose to accept a phone call. And I know they can be used for other media apps. However, the temptation IS THERE to accept a phone call and ruin your riding moment; if it is accessible to you.

Therefore I elect to keep it stowed away; until I get off the bike. It's just my personal choice; I like to free my mind from work; family issues, unsolicited calls coming in; etc... and the cell phone is a general conveyor of that bullchit all too often.

If this is the case then it's a matter of personal responsibility. . If you feel you are not responsible to do everything you just listed, then it is best to put it out of sight out of mind. I however do not have this issue. When I pull up to a stop light that is when I will change Internet radio stations or what not. There has been many times someone has tried to call or sent a text. I simply do not acknowledge them until I am in a safe situation to do so. I'm not going to Not use my paid for technology in fear that i will be unable to Control myself in certain circumstances. ... just don't do it.... and DO enjoy your library of music you have on the device mounted to your scooter... basically it's this. You control the device. When you have to put it out of reach. That's when you are not in control...

WI_Lablover
Posted 2014-08-16 1:28 PM (#165312 - in reply to #165296)

Thanks, no, I don't answer calls! I do however use the GPS a lot on the bike.
Bashcars
Posted 2014-08-16 3:37 PM (#165314 - in reply to #165296)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
+1n the Ram X-grip. Works great.
WI_Lablover
Posted 2014-08-16 4:33 PM (#165315 - in reply to #165296)

Guess I'll stick with the X grip I have. Thanks guys.
willtill
Posted 2014-08-16 5:19 PM (#165316 - in reply to #165311)

Visionary

Central Maryland

If this is the case then it's a matter of personal responsibility. . If you feel you are not responsible to do everything you just listed, then it is best to put it out of sight out of mind. I however do not have this issue. When I pull up to a stop light that is when I will change Internet radio stations or what not. There has been many times someone has tried to call or sent a text. I simply do not acknowledge them until I am in a safe situation to do so. I'm not going to Not use my paid for technology in fear that i will be unable to Control myself in certain circumstances. ... just don't do it.... and DO enjoy your library of music you have on the device mounted to your scooter... basically it's this. You control the device. When you have to put it out of reach. That's when you are not in control...

Dude.   WTF?

It'ss the whole Cell phone thing.  I hate them.  I don't even own my own personal one.  The one that I have is issued by work.

It's not a matter of responsibility or ability; I could multitask (talk on a cell phone vua Blue Tooth while riding) but why?

donetracey
Posted 2014-08-17 1:55 AM (#165322 - in reply to #165296)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Mine has only ONE purpose - to call 911 if needed. It stays in my Murse in the trunk. If I can't reach it - well, that's the end of MY game ....

I have SENA system - but I have NEVER used/responded to the phone.

One other thing - use of HANDHELD devices in BC are STRICTLY illegal (because they distract drivers from DRIVING) - and I agree. PAY ATTENTION to driving - not yapping at something/someone about shit that don't matter ....
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-17 5:48 AM (#165323 - in reply to #165316)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
willtill - 2014-08-16 5:19 PM

?

Dude.?? WTF?

It'ss the whole Cell phone thing.? I hate them.? I don't even own my own personal one.? The one that I have is issued by work.

It's not a matter of responsibility or ability; I could multitask (talk on a cell phone vua Blue Tooth while riding) but why?

?

?

ok so let me get this straight.... you say to me WTF? ok i say to you WTH.... you see a post about a person wanting to find a mount for there cellphone... (CLEARLY IN THE TITLE) .... and then you say you put your phone in the trunk ... then you say you CAN multi task and talk on the cellphone bluetooth and ride at the same time... BUT THEN go on to say you HATE CELLPHONES... so tell me exactly what was your Contribution again? you didnt provide answers related to the inquiry... only soap box opinions on why (we OR all OR you ) shouldnt do it in the first place... and then you wonder why i replied the way i did ? I mean, seriously?? are you kidding me right now... ? what did you expect from soap box comment of "Best cell phone mount for me; is put it in the trunk. Last thing i want to do is take phone calls while astride my motorcycle. It ruins the riding experience." do you think that wisdom was something we never thought of before? what exactly was the point again ? so you can attempt to undermine/hijack this persons question related to a product he is looking for. but how dare Anyone say.... "If you feel you are not responsible to do everything you just listed, then it is best to put it out of sight out of mind."

This is exactly what makes me f#$king nuts at times.. you read the subject of a thread and say, hey ! i want to read this or follow this thread. then you got to scroll through the BullS#$t of completely Off topic opinions to try and get back onto the subject at hand.. this thread is not that bad.. but how many times you have read a thread/subject/question, and found yourself thinking... um what was this thread about again.. ? so when you say dude wtf... look in the mirror and say that to yourself the next time you want to get on a soapbox and hijack something....

willtill
Posted 2014-08-17 6:57 AM (#165325 - in reply to #165296)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Golly. Mr self appointed forum censor. I think someone needs to go for a ride.

We all contribute. Regret that it's not to your satisfaction. Take the stick out of your butt.

Edited by willtill 2014-08-17 6:59 AM
savage
Posted 2014-08-17 7:32 AM (#165326 - in reply to #165296)

Cruiser

Boys, boys, not feeling the love here. Can't we just all get along? But seriously, I have to agree with willtill, the cell phone belongs in the trunk! I spend too much of my riding time dodging cages due to distractions, inattention, and just plain doing stupid stuff. I expect better from my fellow motorcyclists. I have had Scala Rider Bluetooth headsets for years but I have not even paired them with my phone.

BTW, the original post was for everyones opinion on the best mount. Willtill gave his, and I just gave mine. IMHO
DSmith
Posted 2014-08-17 8:47 AM (#165328 - in reply to #165326)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
The x-grip is a great mount, while in Sturgis I found some Kuryakyn mounts that were pretty nice too. I also saw one that I wish I would have gotten the brand name on, it was metal, appeared to be well made and came with a charging cable on it. All of them were not model specific and could mount phones and small tablets either horizontal or vertical.

I find the new smart phones greatly enhance my ride. We have them bluetoothed to our scala's and our gps units. When my wife and I get too far apart for our Scala's to work we simply connect up via phone, works the same way with a bit more range. I also lead group rides and having the phone mounted on the bars has proven invaluable. I can call ahead to restaurants for reservations or seating availability, they appreciate it as well as the group when we can just walk in and find tables set up and waitresses ready. We occasionally have a rider get separated from the group and being able to take phone calls while on the go works pretty good to get them connected back up with the ride. Usually the guy that gets lost is the one that has his phone in the trunk too.

Today's phones are so much more, when watching the approaching clouds on the horizon, I can check the weather map to see which way the storm is going and take the appropriate turn at the next intersection, google will even let me know of upcoming traffic jams on my route. If I don't like the tunes playing on the radio, I can switch over and listen to tunes from the phone. Nothing like some good old rock and roll blasting away while roaring through the twistes.

For me having the phone mounted on the bike has increased my riding time, I can take phone calls from the office while on the go and keep the business running while still enjoying my favorite past time. With today's tech there is no reason not to do it, it is far less distracting than the hot chick walking down the sidewalk, maybe we need to ban those.
varyder
Posted 2014-08-17 12:26 PM (#165332 - in reply to #165326)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

savage - 2014-08-17 8:32 AM Boys, boys, not feeling the love here. Can't we just all get along? But seriously, I have to agree with willtill, the cell phone belongs in the trunk! I spend too much of my riding time dodging cages due to distractions, inattention, and just plain doing stupid stuff. I expect better from my fellow motorcyclists. I have had Scala Rider Bluetooth headsets for years but I have not even paired them with my phone. BTW, the original post was for everyones opinion on the best mount. Willtill gave his, and I just gave mine. IMHO

i second that emotion.  

Biker's scream how distracted cagers are, yet I read more about single vehicle bike crashes than I read about cager at fault collisons. But who am I to say.  Ride on...

Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-17 1:44 PM (#165333 - in reply to #165326)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
savage - 2014-08-17 7:32 AM

Boys, boys, not feeling the love here. Can't we just all get along? But seriously, I have to agree with willtill, the cell phone belongs in the trunk! I spend too much of my riding time dodging cages due to distractions, inattention, and just plain doing stupid stuff. I expect better from my fellow motorcyclists. I have had Scala Rider Bluetooth headsets for years but I have not even paired them with my phone.

BTW, the original post was for everyones opinion on the best mount. Willtill gave his, and I just gave mine. IMHO

i think your MISSING THE POINT.. the cellphone is NOT being mounted to the front of the bike to be used as a PHONE NOR FOR TEXTING.. it is being used as a MP3 player & or INTERNET RADIO.. so if it is going to be used in this manor and it should STILL be in the trunk so it cant be touched. then everyone should disconnect their ipods and mp3 players and put them in the trunk as well... just because someone doesn't understand the full Functionality and potential of a smartphone is no reason to say it shouldn't used .... oh at by the way. they are ALSO used as GPS units.. so ... once again.. everyone needs to remove their gps units and put them in the trunk as well.. just because the device has the potential to break the law doesnt mean it has to be used in such a way... should we put governors on our bikes because they are capable of breaking the law as well? because someone CAN do something it should NOT be allowed, even if they don't break the law? is this the line of thinking i am picking up on? how many other things can we list that is breaking the law ?
savage
Posted 2014-08-17 3:02 PM (#165335 - in reply to #165296)

Cruiser

FYI- I FULLY understand the functionality of my S3 Samsung smartphone.....also my Galaxy tablet, my Smart DVD player and my Smart TV. Plus I work with electronics everyday at work and have for the last thirty yrs. Don't presume to tell me I don't understand it. As soon as you can HONESTLY tell me your phone has NEVER distracted you while riding, I will stand corrected and apologize.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-17 6:11 PM (#165345 - in reply to #165335)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
savage - 2014-08-17 3:02 PM

FYI- I FULLY understand the functionality of my S3 Samsung smartphone.....also my Galaxy tablet, my Smart DVD player and my Smart TV. Plus I work with electronics everyday at work and have for the last thirty yrs. Don't presume to tell me I don't understand it. As soon as you can HONESTLY tell me your phone has NEVER distracted you while riding, I will stand corrected and apologize.

well i have never answered a phone call or text message while riding... why? 1) i cant.. lol 2) its not worth wrecking over.. and since you said you work with electronics everyday at work.. then why weren't you able to Remember the ability to DISABLE everything you said is distracting.. you had to of known this... right? you can disable mobile data and use your phone as a MP3 player.. you can also Cache maps in google or purchase map software. and the whole time your phone is UNABLE to send or receive phone calls or text messages... why do this..? for the very thing others said to do.... but instead of throwing your phone in your trunk... you DISABLE data.. even on your old s3 you can do this.. you had to of known this.... especially since you work with electronics.. also most Modern smart phone offer a CAR MODE which instantly disabled distracting situations.. so once AGAIN.... you CAN mount a phone to the front of your bike and its not going to cause the world to end or Cause you to burst into flames.. it will then be No Different than the mp3/ipod/ gps units people have been using on their visions, since the vision was created.. why do it like that? cost effective.. all in one unit.. then when you dismount it from the vision, you can Enable this device to be a mobile communications device.. a.k.a. smartphone. but... But because someone asks about having a PHONE mount its instant taboo...

and since you asked. NO i have never been distracted from my phone while riding my vision(s)... You don't have to believe this.. for it to be true....

Edited by Arkainzeye 2014-08-17 6:12 PM
WI_Lablover
Posted 2014-08-18 9:24 AM (#165371 - in reply to #165296)

I come back after several days and this post now resembles a war zone! Let me clarify, my phone is only used on the bike for Samsung's GPS. I use the bike occasionally for business visiting clients in 3-4 surrounding states and have to have one. I also head up a motorcycle club and we plan rides all over the state and again, the GPS on the phone makes it easy and convenient to reach the destination in mind. I wouldn't ever want to leave anyone with the impression that I answer calls and sorry if that wasn't communicated.
Haze_Gray
Posted 2014-08-18 10:13 AM (#165376 - in reply to #165296)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
Put the cell phone in the trunk, mount a GPS on the bike that has Bluetooth and caller ID and have a Bluetooth headset in your helmet. Screen your calls, take the ones you want and enjoy the ride.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-08-18 7:01 PM (#165400 - in reply to #165296)

Visionary

Kuryakyn has thirty different mounts
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-08-19 12:17 AM (#165403 - in reply to #165371)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
WI_Lablover - 2014-08-18 9:24 AM

I come back after several days and this post now resembles a war zone! Let me clarify, my phone is only used on the bike for Samsung's GPS. I use the bike occasionally for business visiting clients in 3-4 surrounding states and have to have one. I also head up a motorcycle club and we plan rides all over the state and again, the GPS on the phone makes it easy and convenient to reach the destination in mind. I wouldn't ever want to leave anyone with the impression that I answer calls and sorry if that wasn't communicated.

i know exactly what you mean.. i feel the same way , and have been trying to explain this every since. i use a samsung s5 and now i dont even care if it rains when im using it as a gps or other wise. my gps cant touch what my smartphone can do..
Chef John
Posted 2014-08-28 8:06 AM (#165632 - in reply to #165296)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
My Samsung x5 with an otter box didn't fit on that one so I went with the RAM finger grip, I also liked it better because there is no way for the phone to slip out because there are 2 fingers top and bottom and 2 fingers side to side. No way it was coming out on the twisty North Carolina mountain roads while on vacation. Even with the 2 fingers top & bottom they didn't interfere with the power cord at all.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™