You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

slip on mufflers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

COLT425
Posted 2014-09-20 4:13 PM (#165966)
Subject: slip on mufflers

Puddle Jumper

if i put slipon mufflers on my crosscountry do i have to rejet and change air filters.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Howieshotrods
Posted 2014-09-20 6:04 PM (#165969 - in reply to #165966)
Subject: Re: slip on mufflers

Puddle Jumper

First, I would say it depends on the slip ons, some have been said to sound better without changing performance. With that said, all bikes are set up lean because of the EPA, and changing the amount of air being pushed out vs. the air in usually requires some sort of modification for it to rum properly.

Now to set your question straight, jets are a thing of the past, only used in a carb. All modern production street motorcycles use fuel injectors controlled by computers not jet sizes. So to answer your question, you may have to reprogram your fuel mapping with a fuel programmer/controller.

It all depends what you are trying to get out of the bike. If all you want is sound, slip ons may be all you need, if it runs lean it has been said to unplug the O2 sensors to help make it a little more rich. I won't guarantee the bike will run right in this set up, but is the cheapest way to go if that is what you want. If you want to add sound and performance the right way to do it is air filter, muffler and programmer. If the programmer is done by a good mechanic it will make the bike run properly, and usually a lot better than stock.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-09-20 6:59 PM (#165973 - in reply to #165966)
Subject: RE: slip on mufflers

Visionary

Jasper, MO
COLT425 - 2014-09-20 4:13 PM

if i put slipon mufflers on my crosscountry do i have to rejet and change air filters.

Most likely NO. You didn't change much other than the sound. The stock exhaust isn't restrictive. The aftermarket one won't gain you any power by itself.

Most modern bikes can benefit from a reprogram of the ECU or a fuel controller to correct for the lean EPA factory tune, whether the exhaust is stock or aftermarket. You'll get pretty much the same results from the exhaust systems, whether stock or aftermarket. Your exhaust does not add any more air into the engine, and it was not a bottleneck to start with. It is not where performance gains come from. Performance gains come from a better fuel-air mix (ECU reprogram or fuel controller), more air and fuel in, and better flow management (cams).

If you also add a performance air filter, then a fuel controller would be advisable, since you are now adding more air in and you need to increase the fuel delivery to match.

Ronnie

kevinx
Posted 2014-09-20 9:16 PM (#165979 - in reply to #165966)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
If all you so is change the mufflers. You can just unplug the 02 sensors, and you will be fine. Adding a filter will have you flirting with some real lean mixtures without some type of controller.
kevinx
Posted 2014-09-20 9:16 PM (#165980 - in reply to #165966)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
If all you so is change the mufflers. You can just unplug the 02 sensors, and you will be fine. Adding a filter will have you flirting with some real lean mixtures without some type of controller.
COLT425
Posted 2014-09-21 7:08 AM (#165990 - in reply to #165966)
Subject: RE: slip on mufflers

Puddle Jumper

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™