You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Passenger Backrest Survey! Vision Owners please read!
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-03-25 10:18 AM (#82331)
Subject: Passenger Backrest Survey! Vision Owners please read!

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
I'm talking to a few people about making backrests for the Vision. I need one and it seems there are a lot of us that want one. So I wanted to get an idea of the interest out there to see if it is worth making a bunch of them. Please reply here and keep it simple. Only reply if you answer YES to the first question. THANKS~

Would you buy a passenger backrest for your Vision if one was available?

Would you prefer one that is similar to the Victory discontinued model, or would you like something "sleeker" that better fits the lines of the Vision?

Would you want an optional luggage rack?

Vic charged $450 for the backrest and 450 for the rack. Would you pay the same? More? Less?

Please reply eith your answer keeping it simple to make it easier to evaluate. Perhaps something like "Yes, Sleeker, Yes, Same"

THANKS! I'll share the results and if there are enough positive replies try to get something made we can all enjoy.

Edited by MaddMAx2u 2011-03-25 10:35 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vission me
Posted 2011-03-25 10:41 AM (#82335 - in reply to #82331)
Subject: Re: Passenger Backrest Survey! Vision Owners please read!

New user

All depends on style price
wrr1home
Posted 2011-03-25 10:45 AM (#82336 - in reply to #82335)

Cruiser

Not necessary...I have the Tour Pak/Trunk...
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-03-25 11:22 AM (#82339 - in reply to #82331)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
I have the tour, but I also take the trunk off occassionally, so the Vic backrest comes in handy. The wife wouldn't ride without it and I'm curious as to why Victory discontinued it. That is by all means a great aftermarket product. I'd still like to see a soloseat for the Vision with a mini-trunk where the pillion was, not that would be too cool.
Boots
Posted 2011-03-25 11:57 AM (#82342 - in reply to #82331)

Tourer

New Mexico
I am getting ready to remove the trunk and install the Vic backrest for the first time. My wife is concerned it is too low and won't provide enough support. So perhaps one that is 6-8" taller than the standard? And no, I wouldn't pay $450. MAYBE half that.
As for the luggage rack, I will probably go with CycleOps. Looks like excellent product for <$400.
tonoffun
Posted 2011-03-25 12:20 PM (#82346 - in reply to #82331)

Puddle Jumper

Kansas
Two points, first the price was ridiculous for the setup. Second, and I haven't remove my trunk, but what I have read is you loose audio function. So a little less expensive no make that alot less and maintain music.
glighto11
Posted 2011-03-25 12:29 PM (#82347 - in reply to #82331)
Subject: RE: Passenger Backrest Survey! Vision Owners please read!

Iron Butt

Central New York

Yes I would buy.

Yes I liked the original style.

Yes for the rack in similar style.

No, not $450. each. Probably $450. for both.

Webhair
Posted 2011-03-25 12:52 PM (#82354 - in reply to #82331)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
I have the Victory one and like it -- not happy they discontinued it. Depending on the looks would be be important as to me liking to change...
It would have to work with Cyclops racks as I love the one I have...

ScoreBo
Posted 2011-03-25 1:54 PM (#82361 - in reply to #82331)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Edited because I can't read that you were asking about passenger backrests. My bad.

Edited by ScoreBo 2011-03-25 1:56 PM
southjerseyrider
Posted 2011-03-25 2:11 PM (#82366 - in reply to #82331)

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States
yes I would buy backrest and probably luggage rack too. I'd be willing to pay $500 to $700 for both depending on looks.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-03-25 5:41 PM (#82395 - in reply to #82331)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I like my CycleOps rack, would love to have it mount to a quick release backrest. That would be worth $400 or so to me.
RhodeTrip
Posted 2011-03-25 6:11 PM (#82396 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
Yes I would buy; have 8Ball would prefer all black and less money.

Jim
HLUSN8
Posted 2011-03-25 8:24 PM (#82406 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

Quad Cities, IL
Yes, if lock-able quick-attach/release. Normally run with tour pack but have Street panel too.
Sleeker, something with style.
Yes, Luggage rack option
$200-300 for backrest. $500 combined.
wjoel
Posted 2011-03-25 9:05 PM (#82408 - in reply to #82331)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I have the 08 Tour model. I bought the passenger backrest for when I take off the trunk for a different look.
I've always liked the backrest and thought it was a good height for support, (wifey agrees).
The backrest looks great !
hmd520
Posted 2011-03-25 11:46 PM (#82424 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

Tucson , AZ
Im curious to see why Victory discontinued this item? Makes no sense when it was a big seller. The only downfall i saw was the inconsistancy in cutting the rear panel that covers the attachment of the backrest. Theres was no real template provided for this procedure.

Im not sure that you could build a secure , comfortable , quality backrest for $200 to $300. It would be nice..... but i feel you would cut down on quality in order to reach that price. There seems to be alot of talk about backrests?? Is there anyone making something simular at all??
Thanks Mike
kjb
Posted 2011-03-26 8:47 AM (#82437 - in reply to #82331)

Puddle Jumper

yes would buy , Must be quick remove/attach, and would pay $500
Webhair
Posted 2011-03-26 8:52 AM (#82439 - in reply to #82395)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
Nozzledog - 2011-03-25 6:41 PM

I like my CycleOps rack, would love to have it mount to a quick release backrest. That would be worth $400 or so to me.

Quick release - Now your talking!
wtwhitelaw
Posted 2011-03-26 9:01 AM (#82442 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

Flowery Branch Ga
If I had to replace my 8Ball (with another 8Ball, of course) I would buy a backrest and luggage rack. I like the factory discontinuied model. I,like others, can't understand why they quit making it. The things I would look for are permanent attachment for both, the ability to put any sizerack bag, and if came black powdercoat or in black chrome. I thought the company offerings were a bit pricey, But i am willing to pay for quality.

Wayne
yoyo
Posted 2011-03-26 10:25 AM (#82446 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

ESCALON CA.
QUICK DETACH!!!!! SLEEKER (NO CUTTING STREET PANEL) I WAS THINKING ABOUT USING A HEADREST FROM A CAR SEAT , ON MY MOTORCYCLE SEAT
RhodeTrip
Posted 2011-03-26 10:48 AM (#82448 - in reply to #82331)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
Quick detach would be sweet; I wonder if there is a way to attach to the passenger hand rails or under the seat.

Jim
Turk
Posted 2011-03-28 8:28 AM (#82556 - in reply to #82347)

Iron Butt

glighto11 - 2011-03-25 12:29 PM

Yes I would buy.

Yes I liked the original style.

Yes for the rack in similar style.

No, not $450. each. Probably $450. for both.

Ditto! I'd like one exactly like the original... less expensive would be nice too.
Mudge
Posted 2011-03-28 10:42 AM (#82561 - in reply to #82331)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
This may be a bit off the subject, but what I'd like to see someone come up with is a solid filler panel that would allow the removal of the passenger backrest pad on the Vision with the trunk to make more room for for a T-Bag type piece of luggage on the passenger seat. Unbolt the passenger backrest pad from inside the trunk, which is easy, and bolt in the filler panel to cover the hole. I never ride with a passenger, but on longer trips, which is almost all I use the Vision for, I always ride with a large Kuryakyn bag on the rear seat, and there's not really enough fore and aft room that the bag does not push my back uncomfortably foreward.
VaParadox
Posted 2011-03-28 10:04 PM (#82638 - in reply to #82331)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
As the owner of both, here is my 2 cents
I purchased a Street Premium and the dealer pre-set it up with the backrest and adjoining rack. Loved the look of it. For someone to say it doesnt
match the "look" of the Vision, I think they are nuts, the detail in the curvature both laterally and vertically suit the bike to a tee. However if you
have to have something flat rectangular and simple, then you probably wouldnt like the OEM backrest. That being said, it is the largest and most
comfortable backrest I have ever seen or used. I have never had any passenger complain that its height or position was not comfortable, and I have
carried around many passengers of all sizes.
I did end up purchasing the trunk for long trips and the removal and install from one to the other takes about 30 minutes. In the real world, that is not a long time.. The electronics are plug and play and pre-wired so even a dim wit can figure it out.

The reason Victory discontinued the backrest was simple. They stopped making the street versions and all Visions come with the trunk, so while I disagreed with their decision that the "need" was not there, they stopped making them. For people like me who want the versatility
having the option was great.

I have a buddy who just bought a slightly used 2010 Ness Vision which came with neither, he found a local machinist who will make him one that
looks just like the OEM. He borrowed my backrest for the guy to make the patterns for the mold. I told him, if mine came back scratched, id cut his nuts off.

The plastic rear panel is not difficult to cut with the right tools. A dremel was the best way as you can control the cutting 100%. The rubber inserts to protect the cut holes look nice, and the plugs to re-fill the holes look good when you dont have the backrest or trunk on the bike.

Should they bring back the OEM version HELL YEAH I wont have to keep loaning mine out to copy.
speedboy
Posted 2011-03-29 9:43 PM (#82726 - in reply to #82331)

Puddle Jumper

yes, i'd like to see some different style options, the victory price was tooooo high.
CycleOps USA
Posted 2011-04-06 5:40 PM (#83364 - in reply to #82331)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida
Well guys, I'll chime in here regarding what quality level you will get if I choose to do them. When George (the originator of this thread) first called me we discussed it at length including form, function, and quality. Victory did not leave many mounting options. Even their own people couldn't devise it without having to cut up a body panel. Thinking about add ons was unfortunately something our beloved mothership either ignored or never considered supermarket goodies... Even their own!!
As for prices, duplicating (necessary) the factory ailment leaves litter room for cutting costs as it is technically a complicated piece for a normally simple application. You cannot expect prices for custom Made in USA parts like mine to be cheaper with Chinese made parts (Kuryakyn made them for Victory) for obvious reasons. If enough guys here want a rest in the quality level you've come to expect from me we'll get deep into this now.

Edited by CycleOps USA 2011-04-06 5:45 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™