You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Cross-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

The Dark side review
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

aaronrkelly
Posted 2011-05-08 8:26 PM (#85794 - in reply to #85792)
Subject: Re: The Dark side review

Tourer

Moravia, IA

Flatsix - 2011-05-08 8:03 PM

Aaron,

Please help me understand what exactly the 'airsoft pellets' are, where you get them and how much of them to use.

Thanks!

Airsoft pellets.....the little plastic BBs you shoot in the "toy" guns.

They come in everything from small packets....to large plastic tubs.

You can get the almost anywhere - I bought mine at WalMart.  I huge plastic tub like pictured above cost me $9.  My quick calculation showed I could do over 100 tires with that $9 tub.

They come in different weights, indicated in grams.  Indicated on the bag or tub, somewhere, it will show the weight.

For our application I picked the heaviest ones I could get at WalMart.....figuring that if they were heavier, I would need less BBs per tire.

I just used a simple food scale......and weighed out the exact same weigh per tire that was recommended on the Dynabeads website.  Same theory, same principal....so there numbers outta work the same.

......and they did.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gray rider
Posted 2011-05-10 9:23 AM (#85901 - in reply to #84361)
Subject: RE: The Dark side review

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Ordered my new Goodrich Potenza G019 195/55/16 yesterday. Can't wait!
waterboy
Posted 2011-05-10 11:06 AM (#85911 - in reply to #84361)

Puddle Jumper

WI
Went darkside last weekend. Only have 150 miles on. so far all is good. Went with the popular 195/55-16 Bridgestone potenza running 38psi
jeffmack
Posted 2011-05-10 6:46 PM (#85960 - in reply to #84361)

Iron Butt

anyone try a Hankook Ventus. read many good things about it on the GL1800 site. all numbers and rating are on par with the potenza, but it is v rated for speed and has a max pressure of 51 psi compaired to 44 for the potenza. Also has a bead lock
pete a
Posted 2011-05-10 8:14 PM (#85968 - in reply to #84361)

Cruiser

elgin mn
I ordered 1 Three weeks out. Hankook Ventus That is....
Boots
Posted 2011-05-10 9:39 PM (#85972 - in reply to #84361)

Tourer

New Mexico
Got my Potenza today. It looks HUGE!

Getting installed Thurs.

aaronrkelly
Posted 2011-05-10 10:19 PM (#85975 - in reply to #85972)

Tourer

Moravia, IA
Boots - 2011-05-10 9:39 PM

Got my Potenza today. It looks HUGE!

Getting installed Thurs.

Crazy isn't it, you would never think that tire would ever fit under there....but it will.
jeffmack
Posted 2011-05-11 9:54 AM (#85999 - in reply to #84361)

Iron Butt

I am going with the ventus v4 as well. Looks like a better tire
Than the other non run flats that are avail for the vision. Will review
When I ride with it next week
Boots
Posted 2011-05-11 10:38 AM (#86006 - in reply to #84361)

Tourer

New Mexico
I was concerned about run flat tires for a few reasons.
The stiffer sidewalls made me think maybe it would hold it's square, flat bottom profile. Would not allow them to contour with speed, and give that flat bottom-to-sidewall fallover feeling.
They are usually heavier.
And lastly with the added material I thought the winter performance might be impacted as it would take longer for the tire to get to a good operating temperature.

These are just OOA (Out Of Ass) comments. Nothing based on facts; just my thoughts on it.

Edited by Boots 2011-05-11 10:40 AM
Thomas
Posted 2011-05-11 11:03 AM (#86009 - in reply to #86006)

Central Wisconsin

I was concerned about run flat tires for a few reasons.
The stiffer sidewalls made me think maybe it would hold it's square, flat bottom profile.

Would not allow them to contour with speed, and give that flat bottom-to-sidewall fallover feeling.
They are usually heavier.
And lastly with the added material I thought the winter performance might be impacted as it would take longer for the tire to get to a good operating temperature.

These are just OOA (Out Of Ass) comments. Nothing based on facts; just my thoughts on it.

So far I can honestly say that I've not had any of those issues with the 175/60/16 Dunlop.

In fact I like it better then the 195/50/16 non run flat Falken CT I had before.

jeffmack
Posted 2011-05-12 11:27 PM (#86125 - in reply to #84361)

Iron Butt

In general your concerns of the run flats have been confirmed by the darkside
Forums. Of course some guys prefer them and have success with them. The run flats
Are more sluggish to turn and stand up on exit campaired to non run flats. I am
Going with the vents for the next 15 to 17k miles but will then
Go with the kuhmo run flat for my ride to Alaska(no twisties). I look forward
To having a camparision of the 2, but am confident my riding style will require
A non run flat.
Thomas
Posted 2011-05-13 11:48 AM (#86145 - in reply to #86125)

Central Wisconsin

jeffmack - 2011-05-12 11:27 PM In general your concerns of the run flats have been confirmed by the darkside Forums. Of course some guys prefer them and have success with them. The run flats Are more sluggish to turn and stand up on exit campaired to non run flats. I am Going with the vents for the next 15 to 17k miles but will then Go with the kuhmo run flat for my ride to Alaska(no twisties). I look forward To having a camparision of the 2, but am confident my riding style will require A non run flat.

Could you send me a link on which Darkside forum confirmed the concerns on run flats.

A poll was taken on  Darksiders of the GL1800 Riders  and the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 

run flats out numbered the other CT tires. 

Edited by Thomas 2011-05-13 11:59 AM
jeffmack
Posted 2011-05-13 2:07 PM (#86162 - in reply to #84361)

Iron Butt

i will get that for you. no doubt many, even the majority go with run flats. But even the run flat riders agree that they non run flats are better/more responsive in the turns. If you enjoy the security of the run flat over what a NRF offers then thats your tire. Since non of my bike tires are run flats and am confident i can deal with a side road issue I am not looking for a run flat, but prefer the manueverability. I will get the thread where this was widely talked about and widely agreed.
Orbit
Posted 2011-05-13 6:01 PM (#86183 - in reply to #85476)

Puddle Jumper

Minerva, Ohio
I just put on a Bridgestone Potenza G019 with 195/55-16. As in, I just got home from the tire guy. He charged $35.00 for mount & electronic balance. I gave him a hand and it took a couple hours all together. If you haven't had the tire off yet, leave the rt pipe alone and just remove the two shock bolts to lower the swing arm enough to get the axle out. This guy has a super nice tire machine and it wouldn't work with the pulley on so go ahead and remove the pulley before you try to take the old tire off. The only tire he couldn't do with the machine (before today) was a custom 24" front chopper tire. We mounted the CT by hand because the sidewall was so stiff that we couldn't push it down for the machine to catch. What a stretch!!! It took about 120lbs to set the bead and then the reassembly was a snap. I'm starting out with 35lbs and I'll tweak accordingly. BTW I got lucky with the pulley alignment and the was no chirp at least on the way home. I cut my 1st ride short because it was raining and big black clouds were heading my way :-)
Thomas
Posted 2011-05-13 6:38 PM (#86189 - in reply to #86183)

Central Wisconsin

Orbit

It took about 120lbs to set the bead and then the reassembly was a snap. I'm starting out with 35lbs and I'll tweak accordingly. BTW I got lucky with the pulley alignment and the was no chirp at least on the way home. I cut my 1st ride short because it was raining and big black clouds were heading my way :-)

Man oh man that's a lot of risky pressure to make the bead seat.

I ride 2up and ran 38lbs in my first CT, the center was wearing more then the sides. Everybody has their own sweet spot.

Currently running 36lbs.

Nozzledog
Posted 2011-05-13 9:03 PM (#86197 - in reply to #84361)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Does it concern anyone that the 195 tires are designed for 6" rims, not 5"? (thus the difficulty putting them on the rim)
sgiacci
Posted 2011-05-13 10:42 PM (#86202 - in reply to #86197)

Tourer

Nozzledog - 2011-05-13 9:03 PM

Does it concern anyone that the 195 tires are designed for 6" rims, not 5"? (thus the difficulty putting them on the rim)

That is why it is a better choice - the tire rounds a bit.
sgiacci
Posted 2011-09-06 2:21 PM (#95860 - in reply to #84361)
Subject: RE: The Dark side review

Tourer

UPDATE:

After 4k-5k on a car tire I found out why the bike was following the grooves, and it wasn’t the rear tire like I thought.  It turned out to be the front tire.  When I replaced the rear tire the front tire was showing wear, but I didn’t have the money to get a new one.  Also there was some tread left above the wear bars.

I have a Dunlop E3 on the front, and replaced it with another one (13.5k mi.).   I did this out of need, and not want (personal reasons made me go out of town unexpectantly).   The bike now tracks great, osculation is gone, and it doesn’t get drawn into the grooves like it did before.   

The E3’s have a heavy wear band that is about a 1” wide band in the center of the tread, and it makes the tire wear funny.  The sides wore out faster leaving that 1” band as a ridge that reduced my contact patch, hence it started to act like a narrow tire (very narrow).

That explains many of the issues I had, but why didn’t I notice them before I put on the CT.  Honestly I don’t know why, but I will say that the performance continued to decline.   I was getting to a point that I was going to change out both tires, and get rid of the CT. But circumstance and money stopped that – luckily.

The mushy ride is somewhat reduced, and turns can be initiated a bit faster.  When the tires heat up (100+ mi.), the mush comes back.  I haven’t checked the tire and shock pressures in a while, and I will need to see if that can be dialed out.

When shopping for a new front tire I will look for a front tire that doesn’t have that wear band on it.

After changing the front tire I feel much better on the CT, and find myself pushing the bike harder.  I also feel much better about my decision.

Handyhoward
Posted 2011-09-07 8:46 AM (#95933 - in reply to #84361)

Cruiser

Fort Walton Beach, FL
This entire post is heresy... may the gods of motorcycle riding forgive you! Read all about it at http://www.thevog.net/forum/victory-vision-35/car-tire-on-a-vision/ LOL! Where are all the naysayers... the "experts" who demand scientific proof that we actually landed on the moon, that there was only one shooter in Dallas, and that BO has given us hope? Car tires are for cars... motorcycle tires are for motorcycles... and the world is flat!
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-09-07 8:58 AM (#95935 - in reply to #95933)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
Handyhoward - 2011-09-07 8:46 AM

This entire post is heresy... may the gods of motorcycle riding forgive you! Read all about it at http://www.thevog.net/forum/victory-vision-35/car-tire-on-a-vision/ LOL! Where are all the naysayers... the "experts" who demand scientific proof that we actually landed on the moon, that there was only one shooter in Dallas, and that BO has given us hope? Car tires are for cars... motorcycle tires are for motorcycles... and the world is flat!

are you trying to stir up the few people who don't agree with a C/T on a motorcycle. Your post is absolutely worthless as this thread was on the positive side of a CT, so what is your rant about? Quote the negative comments so your post makes sense.

I do not run a car tire, never will run a car tire on my Vision, but I'm not against anyone that does. Do you have a silly comment to make about that?

Edited by Cap'n Nemo 2011-09-07 8:59 AM
Handyhoward
Posted 2011-09-07 9:35 AM (#95942 - in reply to #95935)

Cruiser

Fort Walton Beach, FL
Cap'n Nemo - 2011-09-07 8:58 AM

are you trying to stir up the few people who don't agree with a C/T on a motorcycle. Your post is absolutely worthless as this thread was on the positive side of a CT, so what is your rant about? Quote the negative comments so your post makes sense.

I do not run a car tire, never will run a car tire on my Vision, but I'm not against anyone that does. Do you have a silly comment to make about that?

Actually you promised that you were going to your control panel and block my posts from appearing on your screen...LMAO

If you had taken the time to read the post for what it was instead of with your biased view point, you may have recognized irony at it's finest. BUT since you have allowed your prejudices to override your sense of comprehension you missed the point entirely.

Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth ? or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.

I thought that everything included in this thread was well written by individuals willing to step out of the box and/or allow others to step out of the box without belittling them, as you and your ilk on this forum are want to do.

I referred those who wish to see the "heretical" response to the same subject but on a different site... If they wish.

I have run darkside for 48 years, and have fought the persecution from the righteous... just thought I would share another witch hunt.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-09-07 9:42 AM (#95944 - in reply to #95942)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
never said I woukd ignore you or anyone. To be at least 48 years old, most likely 60, you are very childish. That is the only irony.
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-09-07 11:55 AM (#95959 - in reply to #84361)

Visionary

I like my car tire. I corner like I did before and scrap the floor boards just fine. I have noticed that its the front tire that steers me into the ruts more then the rear. My mechanic had to watch the rear pulley when in the tire machine cause its bigger then all others.
If you look close at the tire you can see that I haven't even been close to leaning to far.

(IMG_0288.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0288.JPG (92KB - 2 downloads)
sgiacci
Posted 2011-09-07 12:14 PM (#95961 - in reply to #95944)

Tourer

Cap'n Nemo - 2011-09-07 9:42 AM

never said I woukd ignore you or anyone. To be at least 48 years old, most likely 60, you are very childish. That is the only irony.

I thought his dry wit was well placed and refreshingly funny, plus his grammar was impeckable.
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-09-07 12:48 PM (#95966 - in reply to #84361)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Ok, my Dunlop winter RF 175/60-16 just showed up on my doorstep. I'll let you know how it does on my 'B2B in 24hrs' run later this month.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™